Librarium Online Forums banner

New Member, Long Time Reader

447 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Bobby_Wokkerfella 
#1 ·
Hello Folks,

First off would like to thank all of you for posting the great advice and suggestions I've seen throughout the forum, it has really helped me enter into the hobby, and I look forward to reading more.

I recently purchased the Battle for Macragge boxed set. Seemed like a good deal, and Ive read alot of good info about it. So now I've begun planning my future armies.

I like playing the SM, but it seems that alot of people are running around with those so I was thinking of possibly starting an IG Army. Mainly because of the mystique behind it. Just your average guy against insurmountable odds, everyone loves the underdog. However I find all the minis required a bit daunting. Thats alot of painting and alot of cash.

Or possibly the daemonhunters, smaller armies, more specializied and a special mission. However from what I've read it seems they are designed for a special type of warfare and not your general combat ops.

Or would you all recomend I stay with my SM until I get a good feel for things and then progress from there? Thanks much folks and I look forward to hearing your feedback.

Metal Guard

See less See more
#2 ·
That's a tough one. If you stick with marines and then move on to another army you end up investing a lot of money in an army you may not use. However, an extra small army of marines is always a good idea.

Normally I would say go with the army that most captures your imagination. You'll need it to keep you motivated during those long painting sessions However since you already own a small starting force of marines from the set you just bought it would be a small purchase to get the force up to about 750 - 1000 points. After playing a few games you'll have a better foundation to judge which units you want to get first in your next army. You'll also have something to play with until you build enough IG units to field an army.

Even though there are a lot of models in a Guard army, they have a good variety of different models and paint themes. Marines tend to be more uniform in unit appearance (except Chaos). I think marines can be more boring to paint than the same points in Guard even though there are more Guard models.

#3 ·
Thanks much for the advice Wolfraider. Also, thank you for putting together that wonderful webpage. It's very nice to have a resource on many aspects of the hobby rather then just one page dedicated to one thing. Makes the searching much easier. Thanks again!

MG

#4 ·
Welcome to L-O, I hope you enjoy your stay. And you probably know who I am from reading all of my posts, lol.

About armies: Go with the one that you think looks the coolest and have the fluff and rules you like.

Seriously, I never regretted starting Dark Eldar. If you start Marines, you might want to take a look at all the excess material, ie various Chapters and rules.

Daemonhunters are cool as well, but you might want to wait for Alien Hunters to come out too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.