Im A Newbie Tyranid Player - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, Im asking for advice as to how do I get the feel for my chosen Tyranid Army? The reason why I chose it was cuz only a few ppl play it where I live and I wanted to try something different than the rest of the armies. I have read some of the rule book and some of the codex, plus I have been demostrated a demo, but I dont have the full understanding of the rules. I havent played a real game cuz I only have 8 gaunts and I would like some advice on how my army should be built. Since a few ppl play Nids its hard to get someone to give me advice on how I should go with this. I hope you can help me. Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my friend plays tyranids and when he was starting out first thing he realised was he needed alot more gaunts he only had 8 hormagaunts and 8 termaunts then stacked up on everything else. you definitly need more gaunts. warriors are good for HQ choice but even be carful they can easily be destroyed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One word, Genestealers, they're tough, and if you're fighting what is called a "Frail Race" one that is relatively weak, but has a lot of technology, or long range weapons to make up for it, they tear it up in hand to hand.

(What follows is a really long set of tips for how to successfully field a nid army against a frail race, I make no garauntees on it's success since it's never a 100% thing, or really even a 75% thing, hey if you're lucky, it's a 50% thing.)

Frail Races are some of the easiest to conquer with the tyranid horde, all you need is A LOT of gaunts (30-40 in a 1000 point army), and a good amount of genestealers (Maybe a squad of 12 in a 1000 point army owww... my wallet... and my points), along with maybe a biovore or two (loaded with poison mines) a carnifex (assuming your army follows the rules laid down for the carnifex's presence) a warrior brood (3 in a 1000 point army) and a hive tyrant.

Genestealers are synapse creatures, so they don't have to be in range of a hive tyrant to maintain special abilities like not needing to make morale checks, and they also are used like the hive tyrant in that they too grant others this benifit.

So the basics of what you do when you're going up against a frail race, you put your gaunts up front, and your genestealers behind them, somewhere in the middle put the carnifex, and in the back, leave the biovores, the warrior brood, and the hive tyrant (assuming your opposing player isn't using super long range weapons, like mortars, earthshakers, etc.)

Then, CHARGE!

Send everything, I mean every last creature, charge their lines, when you get close, allow your gaunts to take the brunt of the fire, they're expendable, like a carapace wall in front of your tougher creatures. Once they get about 18" away, split your gaunts. (Keep them in at least 2 squads) and run them to the flanks of the line you're charging. Send these to deal with an opponent in the rear, possibly to slightly longer ranged, or heavier units, like a tank squad, etc. Also send the carnifex, he can take on just about anything the enemy will throw at you, allowing your gaunts to take the fire, return the fire, and then withdraw while your carnifex tears it up in hand to hand. (Give him 2 scything talons, it'll give him 4 hand to hand attacks, and if possible, a bonus attack on a charge)

Then charge in your genestealers, they have a 12" assault, so they will be there the following turn. And tear up the enemy. Since the genestealers have a really really good hand to hand skill, (not sure if you can... at least not 100%) get them a mutation of Implant Attack, this will give any unit you attack 2 wounds, taking down any infantry, most command, and a few of the heavier units in 1 hit, which makes cleaning up the average squad of infantry a cakewalk.

All the time, keep your biovores just in range, but enough so that your spore mines will likely hit right in the center of your enemies, but not hit your own troops.

Okay, now to talk formations. What you want to do, keep your genestealers as loose as possible while staying in cohesion with one another (unless you're playing a scenario where the cohesion rules do not apply, don't play these too often because you won't find them at tourneys, and you'll eventually want to go, you know you will... oh yes... I think you do... okay... moving on) keep your gaunts slightly denser (about 1" away from each other) now I know this sounds like suicide, but that's the point, you want to draw fire with them, you want your opponent to want to think they have you. You have to make them hit that squad with everything they've got, so your genestealers stay safe (remember you're probably going to have somewhere between 30, and 60 gaunts in a decent army) Keep your carnifex behind the gaunts, trailing by about 6" so he doesn't get nailed with a blast marker (which has a 2 1/2" radius) or a flamer template )6" long, I think, maybe when your gaunts make the initial charge. And keep your genestealers about 6" to the left, and right of him, or about 2" behind, and spread in a solid line so they're already spread out to take on the first line of units (have them mimic your enemies first lines of defenses so there isn't a single unit left untouched at the beginning of combat)

Okay, so that's about all I have to say, good luck, and modify these if you like, they're by no means solid rules, but they work on paper.
    You can't move the furniture anymore
    And I'm not gonna trip and fall
    Going for the door

Fuzz - Helen Keller

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

u shld start off with a zoanthrope. dey're eralli easi 2 paint? n dey're dead useful. den buy de battle force, a carnifex, tyrant n guards.de rest is realli up 2 u, although i like having gargoyles later in de game. i thing i feel abt nids is dat dey lose out in small games, cuz dey need dey're synapse creatures outherwise dey go bonkers.so try 4 1000 pnts as fast as u ken, cuz 500 points is a bit 2 small 4 nid standards. use de hive node mutation on de hormagauts, cuz dey're meant 2 run up n kill, or at least tie down.if dey dun have dat mutation, it mean dey gotta keep close 2 de nid warriors or tyrant. another pnt , use de termagaunts 4 cannon fodder, or as a buffer. place ur termagaunts at close 2 de enemy as possible, den place ur weaker nids behind dem eg: zoan thrope, biovore, so if dey wanna assault de zoan thrope, dey gotta get through de termies 1st. den when dy're ted down by de gaunts, send in ur heavy hitter: ur tyrant n carnies.dey're REALLI HARDCORE. i once won a 1000 pt game with onli my carnie, zoanthrope n tyrant left alive.last advice, keep on de move. de enemy's shooting phas is, in my opinion, one of de nid's saddest momments in de game. so run 2 de enemy as fast as u ken.get dat 6+ armour save.it aint much, but u may get lucky some time.take cover. remember, most nids armour are quite weak, so u need 2 run.fast. gd luck with ur nids, dy're de perfect army 2 start off with. n dun worrie if u lose: i lost all my games de 1st month i played.its experience dat counts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a heads up, this kind of grammar will not be tolerated here, so write properly or don't at all. It's entirely too much work to decypher what you're trying to say.
    You can't move the furniture anymore
    And I'm not gonna trip and fall
    Going for the door

Fuzz - Helen Keller

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

Although more appropriate on the Tyranid thread, I decided to correct some of the more glaring errors here...

carnifex (assuming your army follows the rules laid down for the carnifex's presence)
    --- You can freely take a Carnifex in any Tyranid army, as long as You have points and FOC slots to take it. You can even take multiples!

Only the Old One Eye and Red Terror have requirements to being fielded.

Genestealers are synapse creatures, so they don't have to be in range of a hive tyrant to maintain special abilities like not needing to make morale checks, and they also are used like the hive tyrant in that they too grant others this benifit.
    --- Uh, no? Genestealers are NOT Synapse creatures. Nowhere does it say that they would be.

The only thing is that Genestealers do not suffer from Instinctive Behaviour, as stated in the Tyranid Codex, page 12.

So the basics of what you do when you're going up against a frail race, you put your gaunts up front, and your genestealers behind them, somewhere in the middle put the carnifex, and in the back, leave the biovores, the warrior brood, and the hive tyrant (assuming your opposing player isn't using super long range weapons, like mortars, earthshakers, etc.)

Send everything, I mean every last creature, charge their lines, when you get close, allow your gaunts to take the brunt of the fire, they're expendable, like a carapace wall in front of your tougher creatures.
    --- As detailed in the Tyranid Codex, Tyranid units can't screen other Tyranid units. Shoot Any Frig... Shot the Big Ones, page 6. =) Yes, it says "Big Ones", but the wording is clear: ANY Tyranid creatures within LOS can be shot at, and NO Tyranid models block LOS to other Tyranids.

Thus the Genestealers are best fielded in cover, preferably LOS-blocking, and only moved towards the enemy after the Gaunts have made contact with the enemy and set up a close combat screen (through which LOS can't be drawn).

carnifex tears it up in hand to hand. (Give him 2 scything talons, it'll give him 4 hand to hand attacks, and if possible, a bonus attack on a charge)
    --- Carnifex being a slow creature with high Strength, and with the peculiarities of Tyranid bio-weapons, they're better off with a ranged capability. Venom Cannon or Barbed Strangler being the common choice, though Deathspitter or Devourer on a Carni isn't that bad...

Then charge in your genestealers, they have a 12" assault, so they will be there the following turn.
    --- No, Genestealers do NOT have a 12" assault... They assault just like regular troops.

mutation of Implant Attack, this will give any unit you attack 2 wounds, taking down any infantry, most command, and a few of the heavier units in 1 hit, which makes cleaning up the average squad of infantry a cakewalk.
    --- Implant Attacks deal extra wounds to a MODEL hit, meaning it's only useful against multiwounders.

As such, ImpAtt is usually best reserved for a Hive Tyrant, unless You really have the points to spare and are facing something like the Thousand Sons.

Keep your carnifex behind the gaunts, trailing by about 6" so he
    --- Considering the difference in speeds, remember that the Gaunts should be going full speed ahead, engaging the enemy by turn 2 or 3, with the Carnifex lumbering behind them a looo-ng way...

This'll be all, I'm off to the Tyranid part of the board! =)
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it, but I did get help from one of my friends. I just need to get my army all built up, painted and playtest them for the Valentines Day tournament. I have noticed that people usually play Tyranids of 1500 pts. but this tourney is 1000 pts. incase you have been posting based on having a 1500 pt army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate nids. Especially genestealers! They wiped out most of my space marine army! And they didn't die when I ran them over with Fluffy (the land raider).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice avatar mutilator! Anyway, i think Tyranids are pretty coool. How are you gonna paint them? The GW scheme thats in the codex? I like that one. Seems like i love all their codex schemes and not customized schemes. ANyway, you will need warriors, genestealers, and a whole lotta gaunts. Remember, the tyranids are made to come in huge numbers. Kinda think of it, if they were made to be in huge numbers, then why do they have less guys in a box than imp guard? :blink: Anyway carnifexes are useful too. I don't especially know much about tyranids, but i know some bare basics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

derranged punk : the valentines day tournament is 750pts are you going to that?
    i am. i am taking nids!

nice to see a new nid player good luck!

Closed Thread