"new" Player Needs Advice - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi. I am a "new" player. I put new in quotes, because I used to play 40k about 6 or 7 years ago back when I was single and in the Army. I had a lot of fun playing Orks. Between then and now I have moved several times and misplaced about half my ork army. I recently ran into some cool guys who play 40k and they convinced me to start playing again. Since I don't have enough orks any more to field a full army, I thought I'd try a new army.

After looking at the models and codexes (and some hints from my friends about the EoT campaign) I decided to take a full Daemonhunter GK army (no pansy IGs or SMs in this army&#33

I am about to play my first game with this army on Friday against one of my friends who is fielding a Necron army (I have no idea what units). Now, considering Necrons came out after I stopped playing, as well as there being a new version of the rules and I'm playing a completely new army, I thought I would ask for opinions.

Does anyone have any tactics suggestions for fighting a 1500 Necron army?

My army list right now, as designed, consists of:
    Inquisitor Lord w/bolt pistol, thunderhammer, Holocaust power, and Teleport homer
    2 warrior henchmen (one w/hellpistol & ccw, one with hellrifle)
    1 acolyte w/meltabombs
    2 GK squads (each squad 1 justicar w/auspex & psycannon bolts, 4 regular GK troopers in power armor)
    1 GK Deep Strike Squad (1 justicar w/auspex & psycannon bolts, 4 GK troopers in power armor)
    1 GK Purgation squad (Justicar w/psycannon, 4 GK troopers w/psycannons)
    1 GK terminator grand master hero (no nifty gear)
    4 GK terminators (1 w/incinerator)
    1 GK dreadnought w/twin-linked lascannons, Blessed, and extra armor
    1 Lance Strike Orbital strike
    (makes 29 figures plus dreadnought and an orbital strike)

I made this list before I knew I was fighting necrons. I hear they are pretty good against vehicles, so I was thinking of getting rid of my dreadnought and maybe picking up some more figures (this list uses every GK figure I have) or throw another orbital strike. Any thoughts?

thanks,
    dvang

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

um, ah, huh.

ok...

I was in the same boat as you, in that i stopped playing 40k during the second edition of the game, and started up recently and got back into the game basically from scratch. My advice to you if your playing against someone who knows what they're doing is as follows:

A: Loose gracefully, and go out with a bang. Sorry but if this is your first game, with a new army, with a new set of rules, against a seasoned player... Well, I'd be more worried about getting a feel for the new rules then actually trying to win. I hate to be so pessimistic, but well. I just hope you have a ood handle on the new rules...

B: Necrons have this nasty habit of NOT DIEING. Or rather they fall down and on a roll of like 4+ or something the fallen unit pops back up again. I believe Necrons are particularly vulnerable to POWER WEAPONS, in that they can't re-emerge. I'm not sure if psi-cannon bolts will do anything for you, but they ought to help you kill his wraiths and their 3+ invulnerable save.

Necrons are like space marines in alot of their characteristics, my best piece of advice i can give CLOSE COMBAT!!!! That is unless they have a whole bunch of their own specialized close combat troops (hey, i have only played necrons once, against a noobie, and the game was a draw.)

Also, for future reference, the moderators are probably gonna yell at you for not putting this post in the tactics section of the forum. Don't sweat it, they'll probably move it for you but just for future reference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x8)

Hey there!
    The list looks pretty good, but you'll have the problem of probably being outnumbered. This is something that'll happen in every battle as you have so many GK, so it's not really a problem. I'd try to concentrate as many forces as possible on a single point where you can annihilate a unit and then move on to the next. Against Necrons, concentrate your shooting on 1 unit so it's (hopefully) completely down, and they shouldn't get back up. I'd also drop the dreadnought, vehicles are generally a bad idea vs. Necrons, some more GK in power armour would be nice.
    For some more advice against Necrons, I think there's a thread in the tactics & strategies forum that deals with them.
    Good luck .
    Ze titles yez...
    When in doubt,
    Smite.
    <SilverMane> I would trust BID with my life
    <SilverMane> HEIL BID!
    <Adrian-> BiD is Omnipotent; All Knowing, All Powerful!
    <Scary_Troopers> I see you as an optimist, GT. : D

But what of the midgets!?
    =]Front in favour of Moderation of the Harshest kind.[=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x4)

I know the game is propably long since over. But i&#39;d just like to say, DAMN thats alot of Daemonhunters&#33;
    Anyway, be sure you take out the Tombspyders, cuz they can increase the Necrons chances of getting back up. I dont have to mention how important it is to get the lord, especially right from the get go.
    Just wanted to add some information of my own for future games.
    Btw, how did the game go?

PrOtOcoN

Your fluffraping hurts my eyes. - TehDarkPredator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MAN, I PLAY THE GREY KNIGHTS AND IF ALL YOUR WANTING TO KO WITH THEM IS KILL CHAOS, THAN THAT IS SOMETHING THEY KICK ASS AT. EVERY TIME I PLAY CHAOS WITH MY GREY KNIGHTS THEY GET THERE **I* ROCKED. AND BY THE WAY, YOUR ARMY LIST ISNT TO BAD. GOOD JOB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x4)

Hey Stern, whats up with the caps? :huh:

Your fluffraping hurts my eyes. - TehDarkPredator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HEY DVANG,

I also play daemonhunters, your army selection is perty good. It is simular to the one I use, I use 2 Inquisitorial Storm Trooper Squads with rhino. This is cheaper than GK squads, wich in turn will cutt the tot # of GK&#39;s, but will allow you to increas the # in each squad by a couple (I have 2 squads; i w/ 8 GK & the other w/ 7). Besides that, good force. I had a simular post up looking for help with my army. Until I played against Chaos I could only fight to a draw (dark eldar & spacr marines), but against chaos, it was utter anihilation for them "DESTROY THE DAEMON"&#33; to your dilema... Necrons are a challenge for most players against someone who knows what they are doing....I was told by a player who has won several turney&#39;s, when fighting Necrons target the necron warrior squads. Once they are down there is a greater chance the rest of the army will bug out.....

I hope this heps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks all.

Yes, that game is over.. but my friend chickened out and brought his "mighty" space wolves instead. (HE was afraid he would lose, apparently, with his Necrons event hough he had never played against Daemonhunters before).

Needless to say I slaughtered him anyway. (Well, it was a lot of luck)

I dropped the third GK power armor squad and added several troopers into the other two squads and upped the Inquisitor squad with some servitors w/hvy bolters.

I just bought a Land Raider and some of the new nifty GK w/psycannons figures so I can field an official Purgation squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have an unlimited supply of money&#33; seriously, tha tarmy must have cost a bunch.
    Rich MOFO&#33;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x6)

"pansy spacemarines"

Loads roket launcher

Now where do you live?
    Veni Vidi Variant
    I came, I saw, I got a different type of Leman Russ.

The spikey ones go faster.

98% of the teen population has smoked weed, the other 2% went straight to crack.

Saga of the Ages. Click it.

Rules for grenades are on page 72 of the rulebook.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast