Newb Looking For Army Buying Advice - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Kei
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm thinking of starting to play this game, because my brother's started to play it, and i just know i'll end up ungodly jealous. Anyway, he's Tau, so i decided that the other race that looks cool, (to me, everyone has different tastes) is decently powerful, and whose units dont look really angry (like IG) is the Necrons. Unfortunately, i don't have the most impossible amount of cash on hand, and am looking at a group of people who play with 500-700 pt armies. I'm trying to find (on Ebay, Warhammer website, my local game shops) a good, low price, decent army. I was thinking:

No monolith (too many pts for a low pt army)
    Necron Lord
    2 small squad of:
    Warriors (just filling the troop requirement)
    1 small squad of fleshrenders
    1 small squad of immortals
    as many heavy destroyers that will fit into the template (i have to have SOMETHING to kill tanks with)

Any suggestions? Comments? Flames? ... This may be completely stupid... but i am a newbie, after all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x8)

Of course, you'll need the codex too . But personally I'd go with some different units:

Necron Lord with Resurrection Orb (you can model this on the guy yourself)
    Plenty of Warriors, you'll need as many Necron units as possible to prevent phase-out, especially in small games.
    Immortals

If you have enough points left after this you might consider either normal destroyers or a cc unit like Flayed Ones (I think that's what they're called, not fleshrenders). But be sure to have plenty of warriors! And remember, even a warrior can take out tanks due to the gauss weapons rules, you don't really need heavy destroyers, take some regulars instead (3 shots, glance on 6 even AV 14) as they're a better deal.
    Ze titles yez...
    When in doubt,
    Smite.
    <SilverMane> I would trust BID with my life
    <SilverMane> HEIL BID!
    <Adrian-> BiD is Omnipotent; All Knowing, All Powerful!
    <Scary_Troopers> I see you as an optimist, GT. : D

But what of the midgets!?
    =]Front in favour of Moderation of the Harshest kind.[=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

Hey Kei&#33;

Are you a chick or is it just your avatar? If you are you&#39;ll make Sister Mel very sad... hehe...
    "We're the Death Korp of Krieg, son. Did you think that was just a pretty name? We never retreat. We fight and we die, that's the Krieg way."
    -Lieutenant Konarski at the Battle of Erebus

Kei
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, but i&#39;m not. I&#39;m just a Miyakaze fan, as i said in my intro.
    Oh, and.. I&#39;ll do that. So, i should get--A Lord, with a rez-orb... (how&#39;s that supposed to look? just a blue orb?) some warriors, and some immortals. And a codex. And a rule book.
    How does the "phase out" rule work?

Oh, and: How many warriors in a squad, and how many squads should i get, on your reccomendation, and how many immortals in a squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x8)

Let&#39;s see, 20 warriors (2 10-man squads) would be 360 pts, 1 Lord with res orb (you can model this as just a ball of any colour, preferably in his hand) at 140 pts. Let&#39;s say it&#39;s a 700 point battle, then you have 200 pts to spare. You could either take 4 Destroyers, or 5 Immortals and say 5 Scarab Swarms, or just take the max number of immortals (7) and tool up the Lord with the remaining points (not many ). Though personally I&#39;d go with the Destroyers.

Phase out is basically, once you have less than 25% of the number of Necrons you started the battle with, the remaining models disappear, so you loose the battle usually.
    Ze titles yez...
    When in doubt,
    Smite.
    <SilverMane> I would trust BID with my life
    <SilverMane> HEIL BID!
    <Adrian-> BiD is Omnipotent; All Knowing, All Powerful!
    <Scary_Troopers> I see you as an optimist, GT. : D

But what of the midgets!?
    =]Front in favour of Moderation of the Harshest kind.[=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don&#39;t know what the policy on "advertising" is, but I found a very reliable, and cheap place for GW figures is Chaosmailorder.com. Typically 25-30% off GW list prices, and no shipping charges on orders over &#036;80 (I think it&#39;s &#036;80, more than &#036;50 but less than &#036;100).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wait, did you say your brother is getting into the game? just steal his rule book and save yourself 40&#036;&#036; is that an option? I mean I only own the codecies i need for my army, and not even all of those. everything else i just rip off my next door neighbor, who happens to have like everything book wise. (by steal i mean borrow, read, and return, maybe make a photocopy of that reference sheet)

Kei
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dvang, that site ROXX0rZ~&#33;

Er... right.

Anyway, i&#39;m thinking of getting the battleforce, a codex and a lord, then not putting anything on the lord but saying he has the orb. (people i play with aren&#39;t anal)
    After which, i&#39;ll get (to expand the army) when im done painting and i feel comfortable with my units, a squad of immortals.
    Then, i&#39;ll probably get a squad of fleshrenders (you were right about the real name, i just call them that), when im done painting/playing/getting used to them,
    i&#39;ll probably get a few more destroyers (so i have 5 or 6), when i&#39;ve done the same to them,
    i&#39;ll get a few wraiths, and maybe a heavy destroyer, and finally, terminally, deathinally,
    I&#39;ll get a monolith.

If i really get involved in this game, i might bother with a C&#39;tan and a larger army, but that army (around 1500-2000 pts, no?) is about it for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

REMEMBER THIS MAN, ALL THE NECRON WARRIORS CARRY WEAPONS THAT HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO DESTROY A VEHICLE ON A ROLL OF 6. EVEN A LAND RAIDER. SO I DONT THINK THAT YOU HAVE TO WORRY TO MUCH ABOUT THAT PROBLEM WITH HEAVY WEAPONS

Closed Thread