Sm Purchase And Chapter Advise - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello all,

May as well start with some background info, I recently purchased the started box, that contains a SM Tac squad, and speeder bike, along with some dark eldars.

I also bought the following SM:

2x Terminators (1 w/assault 1xplama cannon)
    1x Captain w/term honors
    1x Chaplain
    1x Standard Bearer

1x Tactical Squad

Unfortunetly, I have been buying on looks only... yes I know, bad me...

I have been planing my own chapter: Pleatorian Guards
    Paint scheme: Imperial purple, with bottom leg (from knee down) and shoulder pads white.

Any thought to how I should proceed with writting a history? Do I need a "hero" or Leader? Any pointers would be great...

I want to make a 500 pt to 1000pt army. I know I will need a rhino for both my tac squads. But I'm at a loss as to what else I would need. Any recommendations?

I'm really new to this, and I'm reading the rule book for a second time now...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey yeah so i play space wolf but i think i might be able to help. ok yeah so i would get more terminators first cause you need a squad(they kick ass&#33. then get the tanks. the are a real help. also,and this is just me, i like the assult troops,hence spacewolves!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well lets see, first I agree, flesh out that terminator squad. minimum is 5. 1 sargent and 4 troops, but you gotta decide if your going to go for the assualt or not (personnaly I like the cyclone missle option, it lets me use the 4 initiative vice the 1 of a power fist, plus 3 shots rocks). Then rino up the tac squads make sure to use a flamer and missle launcher in each (very nice flexibility). I'd then go for at least a squad of assualt for a hard hitting fast attack option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Shatterstar@May 8 2003, 17:38
    Unfortunetly, I have been buying on looks only... yes I know, bad me...
    How the hell do you think WE all started!?!

Besides, generally speaking if it looks good its cool as all hell

If i were you I would buy a few other codexes just for fun, if your interested in fluff and chapter background.

Codex BA, DA, SW, Armegeddon, amd well, i don't know really because all the new ones suck. Hunt down 'the fluff bible' assuming my mere mention of it doesn't sick the copyright nazis on you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get another tac squad, "everything counts in large amounts".
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." -Plato

"Even the bravest cannot fight past their strenght." -Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

Yeah, I pretty much agree with what's been said already. Tactical squads are the way to go in the beginning. If you can afford it I recommend a Rhino for each Tactical squad. Fill out the Termie Squad as well.

As for fluff it is completely up to you! If you need ideas you can always check out the fluff of some of our home-made chapters in the Space Marine introduction thread in the SM forum.
    "We're the Death Korp of Krieg, son. Did you think that was just a pretty name? We never retreat. We fight and we die, that's the Krieg way."
    -Lieutenant Konarski at the Battle of Erebus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the help.

Dragonlord:

As for fleshing out the Terms, I've noticed that there are various weapons, assault cannons, and plasma. Are these used for Long-range assault? Or am I completly wrong?

Can I mix them with CC terms? If so, what is the "recommended" mix of assault vs cc?

Rtposer:

Yup, I've noticed many of use started like that... I just wanted to start getting some direction in my collecting... I'm picking up the Codex's soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shatterstar:

The SM codex lists out 2 types of Terminators, first is the listing that lets you take up to 2 cyclone missle launchers or assualt cannons. But these are for long distance work. The standard mix storm bolter and power fist are a nice mix of shooty/assault but in assault they are SLOW! IE the inititive 1 thing. I like to place the Cyclone's in them as I can mix and match either a krak or frag missel and still shoot 3 times (1 with launcher, 2 with storm bolter), pluse if they do mix it up in assualt the cyclone guys go at the same time as the sargent due to the inititive being 4. Now on the other hand if you want to mix it up with these guys go the assualt squad with the lightning claws/thunder hammer storm sheild but at 42 points apiece thats real point costly when you can do much better with either the fast attack assult squad, or the elite choice Veterans. I like the shooty Termies couse they can move and shoot that heavy weapon!!!!! Just love a 5 man squad that can move 6 inches, fire up to 48 inches away and still assult iffn have too...... Just cant swing all them points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just be careful with going too mad on Terminators. They are really nice models and look very good painted up but, and this is quite a big but, if you are new to the game you will spend a lot of points on something that is very hard to get the full tactical benifit of until you have been playing for a while. Terminators are expensive points and can be game winners but they need to be used correctly. THe best thing is not to mad on them. Get a squad and use them but be careful how you use them. Watch and learn from other space marine players as they use there terminators.

But most importantly enjoy them as they are fantastic models. Mini dreadnaughts walking across the battle field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yes, aint that the truth. Drop a squad on the table and watch the ordance land on them. The best squad in the Codex is the tacticals. Got to love a rino based lascanon. mobil bunker. with support cast no less. pull along side of a squad and open up with a flamer. 10 man squad, lascannon, flamer and generic rino 221 points and 1 third of the minimum force needed for battle. LOVE IT

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast