Greetings to all - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    SuB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greetings to all

Hello everyone,

I go by the name of SuB, I'm a college student (computer sience), and severly hooked to the painting and playing warhammer 40k.

It's the first time I've been into anything like this, so you could say I'm a total newbie to the hobby.

I found the WH 40k universe very apealing, and my initial purchase consisted of a boxed set of 5 Grey Knight's. I understood it wasn't the smartest choice for a beginner if I look at the amazing detail on the units compared to my friend's space marines.
    But I'm eager to learn and not afraid of a challenge (as long as I don't lose any limbs, body functions or my complete college fund ).

I figured it would be convenient to get feedback on my inevitable questions from a large group of people on an active and well organised forum.

That's about it I guess,
    well see you people around!

Kind regards,

SuB

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

welcome

hi wlcome to the site. hope the painting is coming along good and i hope you find useful answers to all your inevitable quetions as we all have to learnfrom someone. feel free to contavt me if you need any advice on painting/gaming or army selection as i am happy to help.:yes:

SuB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! I'm sure I'll be taking you up on that offer soon enough .

I managed to paint and assemble my first grey knight with moderate succes, but I find myself "winging it" and just following my gut allot, which I assume isn't all that smart (since I know little to nothing about painting).

Then again, I like to learn while doing and messing up from time to time, trying new things and seeing if I get the effect I want.

What's really troubling me is I don't have any good pictures of what my knights "should" look like. The pictures in my codex and on the GW website all look rather unreal, as in retouched with photoshop.
    Then there's the super detailed pictures of really experienced people, which are not really any help since there's no way I could achieve that kind of look with my limited resources and experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah i know how it is but just remember stick at it as we all have to start somewhere. here are some basic tips on painting hope they help.

1. always undercoat your minatures as this gives your paint a much better coverage. preferably with chaos black spray (hides mistakes well)
    2.try to avoid overloading your brush as you lose the control you get from the point of the brush.
    3. when painting metal i tend to start with boltgun metal the add highlights of chainmail and mithrill. now this might be a bit advanced so u could perhaps try chainmail over all the metal areas and then add heavily watered down chaos black to the recesses for shading; this is a fairly simple technique and makes your armour look a lot more dynamic.
    4.a wel based miniature hides a ton of mistakes- try using the sand sold at games workshop and paint it. looks good and is simple. remember to add the sand to the base before you spray as this makes it much easier to paint later on.
    5. always remember to water down your paint as this gives better coverage and won't ruin detail.
    6.you might find the 'how to paint space marines guide very helpful' as this takes you through the basic steps through to the more advanced techniques- i still find it useful now and iv been painting for 9yrs now so u get value for money.
    7. take advice wherever you can get it as every painter has been taught by someone else to some degree or other.

+ Reply to Thread