Suggestion LO Wiki... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LO Wiki...

Insert Witty Comment Here Goblin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    67 (x2)

LO Wiki...

Hey there LO, was just updating a thread I made 2 years ago which is a (very outdated) tactica about Daemonhunters: Linky

Anyways, after editing it, I realized that wiki is a new trend and a very cool idea. I am sure we are all familiar with wiki pages, and things of that sort. Wiki pages are generally pretty easy to make (as I understand it) and the code is all over the place with free source code and free ware and stuff of that nature.

Anyways, the way I figured it, is if we had a wiki, tactical articles would be much easier for everyone. See currently, I find that it is a bit of a problem, that after a while, tactical articles get old fast. So if we were to create a wiki for our tactical articles, then more LO members could work on it together, instead of it being one persons work, it could be all of ours, and benefit from the knowledge of 500 people instead of 1.

Further more, it would also provide people with a general place to go to to answer some easy questions instead of posting the same thing over again. I realize that most things they ask is in the stickies at the top of the page, but I don't know I think it is a good idea.

For discussions, and for hobby stuff, this is a useless idea. For fluff it could work as well, but I would still think fluff should stay in the fluff forum..

I am not sure what else the idea of a wiki would be good for, but I am pretty sure that LO would be the FIRST* forum to produce a wiki dedicated to tactics for each of the armies and different branches of each of the armies. For people like myself who own multiple codex's, and have 5+ years of experience in the game, helping out is an enjoyable task and I personally love to do it. The only problem is fishing through 50+ posts to find a good tactic that isn't amazingly out of date.

I think that if LO created a wiki section of the boards, dedicated to tactics, it will not only help out everyone who comes here, but it will also be almost it's own niche market so to speak. IF we had a tactica for each army (given some time I am sure this would happen) that is always expanding and being kept up to date, this would most likely produce more traffic for LO, as well as a far better way for everyone to come together and put their experience together in one clear, concise, unbiased place.

Of course, it would have to have it's own set of rules, clearly defined and a bit different from the forums. IE, no prejudiced attitudes toward any unit of any army, as they all have clearly defined roles. Even if one unit is useless to one person, one mans trash is another mans treasure... That sort of stuff.

I realize that this seems like a huge suggestion, that will take forever and a day to implement. But most wikis get started up over night, and explode with a wealth of information very fast. The source code to make one is out there for either very cheap, or very free. So implementing it would not be hard, and enforcing the rules is easy, as everyone has access to it, everyone can work at it together, and surely if someone comes and trolls it and makes some errors, we can just edit them back. Not only that, I don't think many would do that kind of trolling, as most wiki articles are loved by all it seems, where forums you constantly have trolls.

Anyways, as for still having a tactical section on LO, I think that would be a good idea, it could be a sort of 'could this work, have you tested this, is this good for the wiki?' kind of thing... Maybe more, maybe less, I am just giving a suggestion here.

Overall, this suggestion, if implemented will create more traffic for LO, and will also enable LO to have one of the first fully updated tactic boards of all of the other warhammer fantasy/40k/LOTR/EVERYTHING ELSE WE PLAY games out there!

I hope that you all like my idea, and I have high hopes for the future to see this implemented!

Rock on LO....
    -Goblin

PS. Sorry for blathering on and on... I just am a little excited about the idea! HAHA!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

A wiki would be excellent, especially for articles and other things. My only concern is how to define the rules, because typically wikis can be edited by "anyone," and as an article writer, the last thing I want to do is write up a gigantic article, then have someone come in and change something that I either disagree with (without keeping the other side of the coin in there), or that is just completely wrong. That would be my major concern with something like that.

Insert Witty Comment Here Goblin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    67 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis View Post
    A wiki would be excellent, especially for articles and other things. My only concern is how to define the rules, because typically wikis can be edited by "anyone," and as an article writer, the last thing I want to do is write up a gigantic article, then have someone come in and change something that I either disagree with (without keeping the other side of the coin in there), or that is just completely wrong. That would be my major concern with something like that.
    Most wikis that I know of, keep a log of IP/username of what was last changed in an article. Meaning they have sort of a 'before' and 'after'. The after is what you and I see when we go to it. But the before is basically a page detailing what said person changed.

Thus, if someone goes and changes something (for the worse) then it can easily be changed back. And banning someone from the wiki doesn't exactly mean they have to be banned from the forums... As of course there will be different (but mostly similar) rules for the wiki.

I am just introducing the idea, as I have yet to see someone else do something like this that is not fully fluff related. As for working out the rules, I would be willing to help brainstorm, I have the time on the weekends to do that. But as for coming up with good ideas at all this weekend, starting tonight, I have tons of drinking to do, straight up until sunday, heh, so my mind wont be working well for a bit.

-Goblin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    414 (x8)

I wanted to install a wiki a while ago, but we was not running PHP 5 at the time so I cancelled it. We are running it now so we could in that case install this Wiki which is very good

-Roger
    Blackhat's new blog network for terrain crafters!
    www.terraincrafters.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

On TLA, we had a go at this a while back. It got torn down as advertisitng, and received some rather amusing comments. The decision was aruge then declined, before another one was made, etc.

-AFG//

Dear All Concerned... yourtimehascome's Avatar
    I am everywhere and nowhere, sometimes at the same time.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

Dear All Concerned,

I believe a wiki would be extremely beneficial to the forum, and could not only be used for tacticas, but any guides made for painting/modeling as well!

-ythc
    Fluff Master

You are not your avatar. You are not your knowledge of the rules or your last article. You are not your post count. You are not your rep. You are not your title. You are not your blog. You are not your painting or modeling skills. You are not your location, rating, profile comments, friends or armies. You are not your signature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

Good idea, if we had a good staff that would monitor it, otherwise it will be edited with random crap etc all; the time, most Wiki's fail because of random edits etc. Take the Warhammer pages on Wikipedia or even Lexicanium, these are kinda of worthless due to the edits of random people etc. So in the end, you need a good staff or don't bother with them.
    Miss Spam Master 2009
    The Briny Series: Urban War Beginnings | Cygnar
    Thrallstudios

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    414 (x8)

if we are gonna use it for guides then we can just stick with wordpress which we allready got. Maybe a "wordbook" kind of program would be better like the glossary we had to explain all the abbreviations and other weird words that is hard to understand for newbies
    Blackhat's new blog network for terrain crafters!
    www.terraincrafters.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhat View Post
    if we are gonna use it for guides then we can just stick with wordpress which we allready got. Maybe a "wordbook" kind of program would be better like the glossary we had to explain all the abbreviations and other weird words that is hard to understand for newbies
    This idea, I agree with.

i love the idea of a Wiki style tactica page Goblin,.. the problem is just the fact that the game changes so much...

Maintaining it regularly and stuff might be pointless when we discuss that type of stuff in the forums and stickies anyway.

I'm not being a naysayer - because you're on to a great idea. Just thinking of ways to make it as practical and as beneficial as possible.

Karmon
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    264 (x6)

It's true that we already discuss tactics and stuff a lot on the forums but we could use a wiki as a repository for stuff that we've discussed endlessly to death and has been considered "tried and true", basics for playing armies, various lists that have done well for people/are considered "safe" options for people who are just getting into the hobby, painting and modelling articles etc. That way we on the forum could give more precise advice and help people to fine tune their lists/painting/tactics rather than just needlessly repeating how the list needs more of X, Y and Z. There's a lot of scope for what could be written on there as well, it need not be limited to just that. If you think about it, a wiki with some decent publicity for the newcomers helps us help them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast