Rep power and how its gained - Warhammer 40K Fantasy
 

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!


Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    The deep down truth Rikimaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    York
    Age
    51
    Posts
    5,714
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

    Rep power and how its gained

    I have noticed a fundemantal flaw in the rep system, mainly its to easy to amass rep simply by submitting lots of posts, I have noticed certain people have a habit of posting one or two line replies in threads that say very little and add nothing much to the discussion(names will not be supplied to avoid a flame war), but does add to the total of posts submitted which ups their rep power (unfairly in my opinion).

    Now my argument is rep should be purely based on how the other members of the forum value your input/opinions/lists/advice etc and not just on how many posts you make, after all its called a reputation system and I dont think having a reputation for posting hundreds of 1 or 2 line posts is the reputation it was originally created to reflect.

    So my submission is that the rep system should purely be based on the rep points given by other posters, this would make for a more balanced rep system and reflect the actual amount of valid input of the individual rather than just how many posts they have made.

    What do you think.

    1984

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member Vindkall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Karlskrona (Sweden)
    Age
    32
    Posts
    751
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

    Moved to Sitefeedback.
    "As I walk through the valley of LO I fear no spammer, because I got the power to ban"



    Of Trui and Gay

    A Chaos Space Marines Diary

    Svenska Rackham Sidan

    troopseses!

  4. #3
    Senior Member warrior poet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Vic,Australia
    Age
    26
    Posts
    827
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

    You don't get rep by posting, people give it to you. Now you do get one rep power point every 250 posts. It just means the ammount of rep you can give away, not the amount you have.:yes:
    I don't find anything really wrong with that.
    By day he fought with sword and shield.....
    By night he fought with pen and parchment.....
    He was....The Warrior Poet.......

    Fear the ANZAC Clan!!!!!

    ORDER OF THE SHADOWY FLAME!!!

    Do you have uber micro...????

  5. #4
    Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Where the sun burns in a crimson light
    Posts
    3,353
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

    Seems fair to me, I have only been a member a month and I have something like 370 odd posts (The lack of a job being the main reason), yet my rep power is 2. That seems entirely fair (especially since they re-factored the post count).

  6. #5
    The Fallen Cheredanine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    SW England
    Age
    48
    Posts
    7,745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

    Rep power (your ability to give rep) is based on, as people said, the number iof posts you have made, but also the amount of time you have been with the site and your current rep total.

    Rikimaru is correct, just putting up pointless posts (I agree) wil increase your number of posts and thereby, eventually rep power, but if you report such posts, and many users do, then the moderator will remove them, making the activity pointless, and potentially give warnings, which can result in the person being banned, since the minimum warnign that can be given for a single pos is 10% and you would have to put up 250 posts to get 1 point added to your rep power, you are far more likey to get banned than up your rep power
    Everything you have been told is a lie!


  7. #6
    The deep down truth Rikimaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    York
    Age
    51
    Posts
    5,714
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine
    Rep power (your ability to give rep) is based on, as people said, the number iof posts you have made, but also the amount of time you have been with the site and your current rep total.

    Rikimaru is correct, just putting up pointless posts (I agree) wil increase your number of posts and thereby, eventually rep power, but if you report such posts, and many users do, then the moderator will remove them, making the activity pointless, and potentially give warnings, which can result in the person being banned, since the minimum warnign that can be given for a single pos is 10% and you would have to put up 250 posts to get 1 point added to your rep power, you are far more likey to get banned than up your rep power
    The amount of posts does affect your rep power, take for instance someone who has nearly 4000 posts that equates to 15 rep points so the member has gained maybe 6 rep points from reputation given by other forum members, now 6 is good but the member can rip someones rep apart by simply neg repping simply because he has posted 4000 times, that is just not right.
    1984

  8. #7
    ISIS Secret Agent Squishy mpdscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Domicile 6-DSt G-Town 3216
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,875
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x7)

    something tells me that someone who has managed 4000 posts, isn't the kind of person who would give neg rep for no reason. The mods afterall can still whittle the usefulness of those 4000 posts down to none if there is a decent reason for it, and Mods are ,by definition, impartial (or at least not preferential)
    Mysterious Member of the ANZAC Clan

  9. #8
    The Fallen Cheredanine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    SW England
    Age
    48
    Posts
    7,745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru
    The amount of posts does affect your rep power, take for instance someone who has nearly 4000 posts that equates to 15 rep points so the member has gained maybe 6 rep points from reputation given by other forum members, now 6 is good but the member can rip someones rep apart by simply neg repping simply because he has posted 4000 times, that is just not right.
    yes, I thought I had made it clear, a number of things add to your rep power, I will state them again in easier to read format:

    Your current rep total
    The time you have been a mamber
    The number of posts you have made.

    If someone rips you appart because of no reason - report him, we can deal with that.

    If someone is posting null posts or meaningless one liners, report the post, it will get removed and he may well get a warning point. each warning comes with notes so if you report to me that a post is meaningless (commonly something like "I agree") then I will delete the post and give him a warning, but if he already hass warnings I will read the noteds, if they say that he has done this before, then clearly he is a persistant offender and I can take mroe severe action

    If someone drops your rep for a genuine reason, then you really have no gripe, if they do it more than once then there are a couple of things, firstly they can not so a rep action against the same person twice in a row, secondly flag it and a moderator will consider if his activities are inappropriate
    Everything you have been told is a lie!


  10. #9
    The deep down truth Rikimaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    York
    Age
    51
    Posts
    5,714
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine
    yes, I thought I had made it clear, a number of things add to your rep power, I will state them again in easier to read format:

    Your current rep total
    The time you have been a mamber
    The number of posts you have made.

    If someone rips you appart because of no reason - report him, we can deal with that.

    If someone is posting null posts or meaningless one liners, report the post, it will get removed and he may well get a warning point. each warning comes with notes so if you report to me that a post is meaningless (commonly something like "I agree") then I will delete the post and give him a warning, but if he already hass warnings I will read the noteds, if they say that he has done this before, then clearly he is a persistant offender and I can take mroe severe action

    If someone drops your rep for a genuine reason, then you really have no gripe, if they do it more than once then there are a couple of things, firstly they can not so a rep action against the same person twice in a row, secondly flag it and a moderator will consider if his activities are inappropriate
    Fair enough thanks for the quick reply.
    1984

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts