Happy Thanksgiving Everybody!! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

Happy Thanksgiving! (or Autumn/Harvest holidays)

Hi, all EF-LO'ers

I would like to wish our American friends at home and abroad a happy Thanksgiving holiday!

I am in the USA for the holiday, staying with some friends, so I get to experience this wonderful holiday of gorging and NFL football!

Are there any particular Thanksgiving traditions that I should know about, on regional terms? I'm getting the traditional New England Thanksgiving this year. What do they do in the American South or in the West.

For everyone else, does your country or region have an equivalent holiday?

In Germany, we have Erntedankfest, which celebrates the harvest of the year. It comes with the first Sunday in Oktober and loosely is related to the Oktoberfest for which Bavaria has become so famous. The German holiday, however, is much more religious in nature than American Thanksgiving?

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x1)

From personal experience, the difference between American regions (East Coast, Southern, West Coast and Mid-west) lies mainly in the variations on the meal served (more the additions to the meal than the main course though).

The "traditional" parts seem to be the Turkey (obviously), the stuffing (my family's has sausage in it ) and the sweet potatoes (though there has been some discusion on this) Aside from that the other side-dishes vary all over the board.

However, the East Coast region has the benefit of having more physical history relative to the actual holiday itself (pilgrims and indians and all that) whereas, in certain areas of the mid-west, the holiday itself tends to be taken lightly and is viewed with more an air of seasonal feasting than any actual historical significance (it's hard to take a holiday seriously when it tries to base it's history on technical theft and stupidity).

But the country-over will be filled with plays and pageants in elementary schools devoted to the "First Thanksgiving".

I personally enjoy the holiday for the namesake itself, and like to Give serious Thanks to the better things in my life at this time. And it's always a good way to start off the holiday season.

And let's not forget the football. :w00t:

If you want some real info on it you can look here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_day

:ninja:
    www.HIGHBATTALION.com - it's a link, you click it.
    "The world will be a better place when the world's resources are used for Giant Robots."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x3)

Well here are some common food's in the states.
    1. Turkey
    2. Ham
    3. Stuffing
    4. Sweet potatoes
    5. Mashed potatoes
    6. At times beans.

That is pretty much it. And the food if cooked real well is excelent.:w00t:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit
    Geez, toon, your avatar changes more than Bill Clinton's campaign platform.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

My local friends and i have our traditional American Football game every thanksgiving which is nice. In addition my local GW store-GW Cherry Hill runs the "Tank Bash" every saturday after thanks giving for the last 3-4 years i think. Its a whole lot of fun where you can bring anything with an armor value. Last year i brought my Iron Warriors. This year the Blue Moon speed kult comes out here's what is coming so far.

Battlewagons x5
    Looted Demolisher x1
    Looted Basilisk x1
    Looted Russ x1
    Looted Landraider
    Gun Trukks x3
    Buggies x 17
    Trukks x4
    Kans x3 (i am weedy i know)

Everything painted and converted orky style... i'm actually going to have picture up in the gallery hopeful sometime next week.
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Happy Thanksgiving Everybody!!

I just wanted to take a second and wish everyone a happy Thanksgiving. Have fun, enjoy the day, and most of all, stay safe.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Sinjin View Post
    I just wanted to take a second and wish everyone a happy Thanksgiving. Have fun, enjoy the day, and most of all, stay safe.
    Well... to wish everyone from the U.S. a happy Thanksgiving, since not everyone's TG day is today.

Happy Thanksgiving, folks.

(..and shouldn't this be in General & Off-Topic?)

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

This is general discussion, not enhanced

*moved*

Ciao

Stonehambey

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

Happy Everything to Everyone!

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The Toon View Post
    Well here are some common food's in the states.
    1. Turkey
    2. Ham
    3. Stuffing
    4. Sweet potatoes
    5. Mashed potatoes
    6. At times beans.

That is pretty much it. And the food if cooked real well is excelent.:w00t:
    We've got a lot of veggies added to that... some new, since my older brother's cookin', but some old, such as broccoli in a cheese sauce. Yum yum!

Usually, my family goes up to New York City to see a Broadway play for Thanksgiving, but this year we couldn't, as my mother just had open heart surgery. So we're having it at the house.

Thanksgiving is all about eating too much food, then eating too much of the leftovers the next day!

Happy Thanksgiving, folks.

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by LN
    (..and shouldn't this be in General & Off-Topic?)
    Nope, two is a crowd.
    There is one already, moved from the Enhanced I reckon. Maybe you could mold them into one?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast