2k vs Thorek and his Anvl - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2k vs Thorek and his Anvl

Hello, I am looking for opinions on advice as I will be facing a Thorek led Dwarf force of 2k points this Wednesday. I am not entirely sure what to expect but I suspect its a power gamers list designed to win , any idea on what hes likely to field would help.

So here are the lists I plan on using -

Slann - 2nd gen. Plaque of Protection, Plaque of Tepok, Bane Head, Battle Standard Bearer + Totem of Prophecy

Skink priest - lvl2 Diadem of Power

Scar Veteran - shield, light armour, great weapon, charm of the jaguar warrior, blessed spawnings of Sotek and Quetzl

20 temple guard with full command and shields

3 kroxigor

3 kroxigor

12 skinks - javelin and shield

11 skinks (I lost a skink!) - blowpipes

3 salamanders

totals 1999

Slann would aim for pit shades and spirit of the forge, Bane Head and rule of burning iron on Thorek. I would use the JSoD and steed of shadows to try and first turn charge the likely organ gun and then proceed to harass war machines with the Scar Vet. I would hope the temple guard could hold their own vs the dwarfs with the kroxigor providing some flanking action. The army is relatively small but if my opponent is fielding Thorek then I expect his wont be much bigger either.

OR

Sacred Host of Quetzl

Old Blood - light armour. shield. Revered Blade of Tzunki, Aura of Quetzl, Blessed Spawning of Quetzl

Scar Veteran - shield, light armour, great weapon, charm of the jaguar warrior, blessed spawnings of Sotek and Quetzl

Scar veteran - light armour, Blessed Spawning of Quetzl, sword of the hornet, battle Standard Bearer

20 Saurus - full command blessed spawning of Quetzl

20 Saurus - full command blessed spawning of Quetzl

12 skinks - blessed spawning of quetzl, javelin and shields

10 skinks - blessed spawning of quetzl. blowpipes

4 kroxigor

3 salamanders

6 cold one riders - banner bearer with Huanchi's

2000 total

Basically everything marches forward and butchers the dwarfs in front of them. If hes using Thorek then my 2000 points of combat force has only 1500 points ish dwarfs to chop through and all his dispel dice are null.

I need advice on my lists or any suggestions for alternatives. I know Thorek is overpowered etc which is why I want to slaughter the little stouty bearded git.

Thanks, Kich

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Usually I swear by my salamanders but then again all lists I write are all-comer lists. Dwarfs are one of the few armies that sallies don't fare so well against. Their spitting effectiveness is very much reduced thanks to the high toughness and heavy armour of the Dawi. Also, rare slots like the organ gun and the gyrocopter make a mockery of them, reducing them to a jibbering wreck in a couple of turns. As you know you are facing the dwarfs it might be an idea to leave these bad boys at home this time. Just something to consider.

Thorek + gyrocopter = your army moving at half it's speed. That's about 4" a turn and there's not a lot you can do about it. Cue grudge throwers, organ guns, thunderers and cannons (If it's a Thorek list then you can bet your ass he's going to be running at least two of these units, likely more). These war machines will wreak havoc on your lines meaning your combat effectiveness will be greatly reduced by the time you reach his lines.

Personally I would go with the Slann list. The bane head/rule of burning iron and the JSoD/steed of shadows combos will give him some nice dilemmas early on. Hopefully you can pull of either a spirit or a pit of shades to aid, and then whatever other spells you can muster. The temple guard are a good option and a ferocious unit if ever I did see one. Kroxigor also negate two of the dwarfs strengths: high toughness and armour. So the two units there will help.

Have you considered a Steg? Immune to panic means he will pretty much have to be killed outright as he thunders toward the dwarfen lines. With his (fairly) high movement he can be on them turn two. Stubborn is also very nice, meaning he can take a lot of punishment and still keep fighting on, especially if the battle standard is nearby. He's a nice fat terror causer and will draw some firepower away from your other units. Of course he can be anvil'd just like the rest of them so that's always an annoying problem

Some myriad thoughts for you, for what they're worth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

First of all if he's running Thorek then you can be sure it's a powergamer list. Thorek is broken as heck and I've said this before but whatever they were smoking when they thought him up. I want some!!!!

Now, as for what to do against him. Personally I would design an assasination character.

The best would be in my opinion the following:
    Oldblood saurus - Spawnings of huanchi (anvil is likely to be hiding in terrain), old ones and sotek - dagger of sotek - maiming shield and charmo of the jaguar - 295 points.

It's close to a normal JSOD setup with 2 differences. 1 the dagger of sotek. You will want to KB him as you will probably not survive too long in combat. 2) old ones spawning. You need to get the KB off so when hitting to wound reroll everything that isn't a KB (even if it's a wound, non-wounds first though).

To do this you will need a decent delivery system for the saurus. A big unit of skink skirmishers would do fine.

Beyond that you will want high toughness. Steggies come to mind. and take a scar-vet as general to keep your main army in line. Also I would not take any magic as you will not get much off and you won't need magic defense. some units of saurus with the spawning of sotek with a great weapon in units of 23 saurus. You can take 3 of those units and dwarves will have a hard time putting a dent in that. Then 2 steggies and you should be set. Sallies won't do enough and will get paniced by dwarven shooting.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Only skinks can take the dagger of sotek

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And Huanchi is models on foot only.

I had though of character assisnation - Saurus old blood with bane head and revered blade of Tzunki issuing a challenge when combat as I dont think Thorek will have anywhere to hide. Also bane head and rule of burning iron with Thoreks 1+ save and lack of ward vs that spell would be good.

Unfortunately I do not have a steg model

About the Salamanders, I had thought of dropping them but they can be in firing range by turn 2 and are great at running down flanks using cover and then annihilating entire units of thunderers/quarellers.

I dont think he runs a Gyrocoptor.

I am leaning toward the Slann though!

Whats the best way to stop a gyrocoptor march blocking? They only have a 20inch fly move right?

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

523 (x8)

Yeah Gyros only have a 20" flight movement. They are damn hard to kill though, T5 with 3 wounds and a decent save to boot. And there is also the small matter of the steam gun being able to take out entire units of skinks...nasty >.<;;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvester View Post
    It's close to a normal JSOD setup with 2 differences. 1 the dagger of sotek. You will want to KB him as you will probably not survive too long in combat. 2) old ones spawning. You need to get the KB off so when hitting to wound reroll everything that isn't a KB (even if it's a wound, non-wounds first though).
    Wha...? You don't think that an Oldblood can stand up to a Runelord? Only 2 armies have better CC Lords, Vampire Counts and Chaos. Just max out his attacks, you can get 9 @ S5 on the charge if you play around with it. You shouldn't have any trouble killing him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Revered Blade of Tzunki might be the best way to kill him but to get to Thorek would require jaguar charm and being exposed to cannon.

I think Salamanders have the best chance at taking out a gyrocoptor if he does intend to marchblock but I dont he uses one.

I think Ill go with the Slann list and hope I roll up the useful spells and that I can actually got into a position to use the Bane Head / Burning Iron combo on Thorek.

I will also be facing a Skaven army tomorrow which comprises of 2 units of clanrats with a ratling gun each, unit of plaguemonks with their hero, 6 jezzails, 2 clan skrye warlock and a greey seer on screaming bell. I cant decide whether to go Slann or skink magic lockdown. Last time I played against the Skaven player I use an oldblood and 2 skink priest with the cube of darkness and 2 dispel scrolls vs his 13 odd casting dice. Worked ok and I managed a victory result but he just did far too much damage with magic and shooting.

Any tips or tactics for taking on a Skaven magic orientated army? Cant really see any great spells for the Slann and in the last game the old Blood carved himself enough rat kebab to keep himself happy for a century.

+ Reply to Thread