2,000 pts of magic (competitive) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2,000 pts of magic (competitive)

hi any advice on the following list. I know its very magic heavy but i face very magic heavy armies. here goes:

2nd gen slann, plaque of dominion
    didem of power, plaque of tepok
    battle standard, war banner
    610 pts

2nd level skink priest, dispel scroll
    125 pts

2nd level skink priest,

20 temple guard
    full command, shields
    jaguar standard
    420 pts

10 skink scouts

10 skink scouts

4 jungle swarms

3 kroxigors

3 salamanders

any advice is appreciated.

Please do not post points costs of units before upgrades. GN

Last edited by gingerninja; November 27th, 2007 at 15:12. Reason: Points

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, this should probably be in the army list section, sure it’ll get moved there soon enough, I’ve only recently started on lizards but have been playing fantasy a while, so I’ll offer what advice I can.

Quote Originally Posted by viruk View Post
    hi any advice on the following list. I know its very magic heavy but i face very magic heavy armies. here goes:

2nd gen slann, plaque of dominion
    didem of power, plaque of tepok
    battle standard, war banner
    610 pts

Wow this guy’s expensive, even for a 2nd gen, maybe drop the plaque of dominion and the diadem and give him the plaque of protection (that 2+ ward save is invaluable as every war machine in the enemy army is gonna be pointed at this guy)

2nd level skink priest, dispel scroll
    125 pts

2nd level skink priest,

You’re right very magic heavy, BUT as you said you face magic heavy enemies so these 2 may give you the edge you need.

20 temple guard
    full command, shields
    jaguar standard
    420 pts

Ok with the slann we’re talking a 1k point unit here; what’s more it’s your only rank and file unit. these guys are good but with very little else to draw fire and very little combat support they will either be picked apart by shooty lists, surrounded by horde / tough CC lists or just out manoeuvred by things like wood elves.
    Drop them down to 16 to start (make 4 ranks of 5 with the slann), drop the jaguar standard to save on some points maybe take the standard that makes them cause fear (so they don’t auto break vs undead etc).

10 skink scouts

10 skink scouts

Always good, live these guys though I think the point cost for the 2nd unit is a bit off . Maybe give 1 unit the scout ability so they can go war machine hunting?

4 jungle swarms

Right with the points you saved from the temple guard/slann drop these and take a good old block of saurus to help the temple guard, you’ve got your cores sorted so maybe 20 with the blessing of Quetzel?. Will give you a good solid centre along with the kroxigors.

3 kroxigors

Great flanking force J, use them to batter the flank of anything that gets caught on your temple guard (remember to screen them)

3 salamanders

They rock they really do, never leave home without at least 2.

any advice is appreciated.
    It's a risky list, if the temple guard and slann die you won't be able to win (1200 VPs in that unit.. you'll be lucky to get a draw) BUT if you can keep it alive it'll do it's job well, screen it with skinks and keep it away from things like chosen warriors of khorne and it should be fine in combat.
    Last edited by gingerninja; November 27th, 2007 at 15:12.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

Wow. Well, you'll dominate the Magic Phase, that's for sure.

I would give one of the Skink Priests the Cloak of Feathers to assist with Telepathy.

More than anything, though, the list needs bodies. It has two functions that I can see: 1. Fire off Casandora's Comet and 2. Prevent the Slann from dying.

The Slann is fine. He's a hard nail and will own the Magic Phase. The liability are those Temple Guard. I don't like to see those until 3,000 points. They're a great unit, they're just too expensive. I would ditch the Temple Guard and replace them with Tepok-blessed Saurus. (the Dispel Dice Spawning) If you then drop the Jungle Swarms you can buy another block of Saurus. Maybe even a third.

One of the Skink units should also Scout, for March Blocking, Wizard- and War Machine hunting purposes.

Other than that, the Kroxies and the Salamanders are great.

Risky list? Oh, yes, definitely; but it has immense potential.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As everyone said, you're going to pull out all the magic wahammer has to offer...

But at 2k points you could face a skaven with 200 models, 13 power dice, 7 dispel dice plus 4 dispel scrolls (so almost 2/3 of your magic will not be cast).
    If those rats are willing to shoot the slann down, they will succeed in doing so!
    And if they do not, what will happen when they get into cc? numbers are so low in this list, that it is impossible for it to stand against a massive army, no matter what magic you throw at the enemy.
    I made a "worst case" example, but the same applies for empire (cannons, mortars, handguns... all shooting will be aimed at the slann, and 1s do occur) and O&G (you imagine a fanatic tearing through the temple guard unit? wow)

To sum up, this is a good friendly list, but an awful competitive list, because it is always bad to field too much points in one small unit and too few model to surround it!
    Generally speaking, i'd suggest never taking a slann in a competitive game, though i love that big frog!

Cheers!8Y
    It's better, it's shiny, it's warped...it's Chaos.

+ Reply to Thread