[1000] Lizardmen (first list ever) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[1000] Lizardmen (first list ever)

Hi all, I want to start a lizardmen army because i always like how they looked 8X
    especially with the new models.

I never played lizardmen before and wanted to know if this list works/ fails vs most opponents, i want a effective alround army... (i play normally 40k)
    So pls critisize/ advice me, if i'm in the wrong direction TELL ME

So here it goes:

Heroes: - 413 pts

Saurus Scar-Veteran - 178 pts
    Hand weapon, shield, great weapon, light armour
    Charm Of The Jaguar
    Aura Of Quetzl
    Blessed Spawning Of Sotek
    Blessed Spawning Of Quetzl

Skink Priest lvl 2 - 135 pts
    Diadem Of Power

Skink Priest lvl 2 - 100 pts

Core: - 412 pts

Saurus Warriors (x20) - 282 pts
    Champion
    Standard Bearer
    Blessed Spawning Of Quetzl

Skink Skirmishers (x10) 60 pts
    javelins and shields

Skink Skirmishers (x10) 70 pts
    Blowpipes
    Scouts

Special Units: - 174 pts

Kroxigor (x3)

Total: 999 pts

I know i'm high on hero costs, the only reason why i took 2x skink priests is to learn Magic in Fantasy.
    if it doesnt work, ill take just instead of both priests:
    a unit of kroxigors (x3) and Skinks with javelins and shields (x10)
    (That's 998 pts then)

Would this work as a core for my army?

Thnx in advance

Last edited by Nemdraz; December 16th, 2007 at 03:36.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

Welcome to LO, Nemdraz

The Lizardmen are a great place to start playing Fantasy. They do have gorgeous models, and plastic too. Fun to paint, as well.

Your list looks pretty solid, and it's a good place to start, but there are a couple things I would change. At a thousand points, numerical superiority comes to matter more than at higher points levels.

If we go through the list unit for unit:

The Scar-Vet is nice, but really expensive. I would drop the Charm of the Jaguar and instead deploy him with the Saurus.

One of those Skink Priests can also be binned for now. A Level 1 Priest carrying Dispel Scrolls is as effective. Without saying as much, if you want to run strong magic with the Lizardmen, a Slann is the way to go. Never fear, though, the Lizards' infantry is also extremely effective.

Those Saurus and Skinks are great.

The Kroxies, again: great.

With the points you have left over, another block of Saurus is probably too expensive, but you could always try deploying two blocks of Saurus, fifteen strong each, or getting some more Skinks.

(Your friends will quickly come to hate Skinks. They are the masters of hit-and-fade techniques.)

Try it, though, demo a couple of configurations and see what works with your individual style of play and let us know what went well and what went...not so well.

Good Luck!

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    211 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Nemdraz View Post
    Heroes: - 413 pts

Saurus Scar-Veteran - 178 pts
    Charm Of The Jaguar (9" M)
    Aura Of Quetzl (4+ ward save vs str 5 or higher)
    Blessed Spawning Of Sotek (+1 attack on charge)
    Blessed Spawning Of Quetzl (+1 Scaly Skin)
    Welcome to LO Nemdraz!

I'd advise you to not write down any individual effects that each Spawning/magical item does, because it's sort of breaching the rules a little bit.

other than that, go with Quick, he's pretty much got most of the points covered about your list.

-Kai-Itza-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ahh ok, sorry, didnt want to break those rules.. (oops)

just thought it would be easier for everyone who read my list (so that they don't need to look in their armybooks to see what everything is)

il edit it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*bump*
    Last edited by Nemdraz; December 18th, 2007 at 02:04. Reason: double posted it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok I guess everyone agrees with the points Quick made, so i revised my list a bit.
    I want a highly competitive list and this is with what i came up..

So here it goes:

Heroes: - 248 pts

Saurus Scar-Veteran - 113 pts
    Charm Of The Jaguar

Skink Priest lvl 2 - 135 pts
    Diadem Of Power

Core: - 382 pts

Saurus Warriors (x19)- 252 pts
    Champion
    Standard Bearer

Skink Skirmishers (x10) 60 pts
    javelins and shields

Skink Skirmishers (x10) 70 pts
    Blowpipes
    Scouts

Special Units: - 174 pts

Kroxigor (x3) 174 pts

Rare Units: - 195 pts

Salamander Hunting Packs (x3) 195 pts

Total: 999 pts

I feel pretty confident with the list i came up by relooking at it.
    I have a nice core for my army, a big block of saurus and 2 good flank units, one unit of kroxigor's to chop their ways through heavily armoured units and a unit of salamanders to spit their way through big blocks of infantry.
    I also have some versatile elements in my army, a scouting skink unit, a JSoD and a Priest.

The level 2 Priest equipped with "The Diadem Of Power" gives me 4 power dice (optional 6 power dice) or a descent dispel pool, 3 dispel dice (optional 5 dispel dice)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm considering to drop 2 saurus and give my Scar-veteran BSoSotek..

Any comments/ advice on my new list?

thnx in advance,

Nemdraz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

Now this is a pretty nice list. A pretty nice list indeed.

With the Charm of the Jaguar Warrior, getting the charge is virtually assured, so the Blessed Spawning of Sotek is a good idea.

To pay for this, I wouldn't drop two Saurus, but I would drop the Standard and the Champion. Neither are really necessary and both are kind of expensive. Nothing with that many ranks should be attacking the Saurus to where they need a banner. That's why you've got the Scar-Vet to launch at enemies. Plus, all those Skinks will be whittling away at the enemy ranks before the Saurus get into combat.

Also, I would retain the Blowpipes on both Skink units. Skink Skirmishers with Javelins and Shields aren't useless, but they need to be in larger groups to function properly.

Have you considered dropping the Saurus altogether? They're the slowest thing in the list. If you dropped them, you could pick up another unit of Kroxigors and boost the Javelin Skinks to a nineteen-strong unit. (Or eighteen strong and allow the Priest to Scout.) Nothing in the list, then would move less than six inches. With some water terrain features, your primacy of mobility would be assured.

If played properly, such a hit-and-fade list could be played extremely effectively with multiple Fear-causing units. Almost like an Ogre list, strangely enough. Your opponents will hate all those Skinks. They can't catch up to them, nor can they shoot them effectively. All those Poisoned shots will begin to take their toll too, right before the Kroxigors plough through the Skinks, slam into the enemy's flank, and cause Fear.

Here's what I mean:

- Scar-Vet: Lt.Armor, Shld, GW, CoJW
    - Priest: Lvl2, Scout, Diadem
    - Skinks x18: Jav&Shld
    - Skinks X10: Scout, Blowpipes
    - Kroxies x3
    - Kroxies x3
    - Salamanders x3

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes i did consider to drop the whole group of saurus, since my saurus warriors are the slowest unit in my army.....
    but i was considering to get a unit of Saurus Cavalry instead.

However i think i stick to my last army list, since i already have a 20 men strong saurus unit painted and finished.

I just now need to finish 3x salamanders and i can play with my full 1000 pt army

Btw Quick thnx for answering so "quick" 8Y

With the few to 0 experience having played fantasy, i played a couple of games with my lizzies in a 1500 point battle with a allie.
    My saurus got charged by chosen knights and just couldn't attack back (since my front rank was smashed), however the chosen knights stayed in combat with my saurus for 3-4 turns..
    I only achieved this with static combat, my ranks, standard bearer and my attacks from my champion.

So I rather drop 2 saurus, then to give up my Standard + champion.
    (Tell me if I'm wrong, this occured to me once)

Pls advice and critisize my revised list some more folks =)
    Last edited by Nemdraz; December 18th, 2007 at 13:23. Reason: forgot to mention a point

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, I just saw something....

Maybe it's better indeed if my Scar-Veteran stays in his formation,
    I'm considering to drop the charm of the jaguar and give him a fancy blessing in return, or i'll keep it for versatily Not sure yet..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick has some good ideas, although I disagree on the command groups. You always want as much static combat res as you can get, and standards and musicians are the cheapest points out there. That said, you can avoid the entire debate by dropping the Saurus.

I would also suggest going to 4x Kroxigors instead of 3x. I don't remember who said it first, but three Kroxigors is support; four is a real unit. Consider:
    1. You can still get all four into base contact
    2. Four Kroxigors average 5 kills/round (1.25 each), which tends to wipe the front row on the charge
    3. You want to outnumber (since you have fear) and the extra 3 unit strength plus the extra killing power helps a lot

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)