My first 2250 points army [Friendly] - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first 2250 points army [Friendly]

I am not really new to warhammer but last time I was active was when the fifth edition rules were the latest so there are some pretty big changes for me to adapt to.

I have been thinking quite a lot about this and here is my first "real" army:

2250 points of big bad really unfriendly dinosaurs..

4th gen slann
    BSB
    General
    390 points

Core:

Temple Guards [12]
    Shields
    216 points

Saurus warriors [16]
    Full command
    Spears
    254 points

Saurus warriors [16]
    Full command
    222 points

Saurus warriors [16]
    Full command
    222 points

Skinks [10]
    Blowpipes
    Scout
    70 points

Skinks [10]
    Blowpipes
    Scout
    70 points

Chameleon Skinks [10]
    Blowpipes
    150 points

Special:

Saurus cavalry [8]
    Full command
    330 points

Kroxigors [3]
    Champion
    194 points

Rare:

Salamanders [2]
    130 points

Strategy:

The three blocks of Saurus goes in the middle and form a wall of weapons.

The Saurus Cavalary takes one flank and are supported by the chameleon skinks.

The other flank is guarded by the Kroxigors and Salamanders and backed up by the two blocks of skinks.

The slann goes behind the main line and works his magic on the invading Empire.

As stated above this is my first armylist and so I really really would appreciate comments and recomendations for improvments. I haven't included any magic items because I don't know which ones are any good and so.

Some of the units I really feel I must use in my army and those are:

The salamanders, at least one because I have one of them and I am really happy with its paintjob, even thogh the skink handlers only has a white basecot just now.

The Kroxigors, I have three of them and they are all painted and ready to go.

The Chameleon Skinks, I have an old skink characther, Oxayotl, and because of that I feel it would be nice to be able to include him, not as Oxayotl but as an ordinary Chameleon skink.

Besides that I have two old skink priest (shamans) that would be nice to include but I don't really see how to fit them.

The last thing that is a must is the Saurus Cavalary, they are soooooo cool that I just must include them in my army, somehow at least.

A lot of demands but I really hope the list is possible to improve, even if those are a bit of a must for me..

If it matters this armies first enemy will be an experienced friend of mine playing Empire, and unlike the majority he doesn't have a cannon heavy army.

Hope I'm not too impossible and I really look forward to a lot of replies

(I am aware that my English ain't perfect but I hope it ain't too bad :rofl)

Last edited by Travis_DA; April 8th, 2008 at 21:23. Reason: Wrote some on how I intended to use the army..
    Thou shallst bow before the might of the Old Ones!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Travis_DA View Post
    4th gen slann
    BSB
    General
    390 points
    You will almost certain;y want to give this guy some magic equipment. Maybe give him the Divine Plaque of Protection (normally this almost compulsory but with your budget Slann protection is less needed), Bane Head (to snipe a well armoured character with Burning Rule of Iron from Lore of Metal), Diadem of Power (to make use of your dispel dice), dispel scrolls (your magic defence is somewhat light) or the Plaque of Tepok.

You may want some heroes, I suggest a JSoD, or Jaguar Saurus of Doom (Saurus Scar-Veteran with Great Weapon, Shield, Charm of the Jaguar Warrior, light armour and sometimes some other stuff), or a Skink priest for dispel dice, telepathy and some extra magic offence.

Temple Guards [12]
    Shields
    216 points

Saurus warriors [16]
    Full command
    Spears
    254 points

Saurus warriors [16]
    Full command
    222 points

Saurus warriors [16]
    Full command
    222 points
    Are you aware of the fact that you now need 5 troops in each row to gain a rank bonus? Most people field unit of 15 (5x3), 18 (6x3) or 20 (5x4) in seventh edition (although I field units of 10-12 with no command as I feel Saurus just can't try to match the static combat resolution other armies without being horribly outflanked and should instead go for wins with sheer number of attacks).

Skinks [10]
    Blowpipes
    Scout
    70 points

Skinks [10]
    Blowpipes
    Scout
    70 points

Chameleon Skinks [10]
    Blowpipes
    150 points
    Chameleon Skinks are not very good (way more expensive then normal skinks and do basically the same thing) in my opinion.

Saurus cavalry [8]
    Full command
    330 points
    That's a very expensive unit, I would reduce it to 5-7 models and drop all command (except maybe standard and/or musician as long as you think long and hard about whether they are worth their points).

Kroxigors [3]
    Champion
    194 points
    RAWR! Kroxigor!! :rofl

Salamanders [2]
    130 points
    8Y Salamanders are very awesome, consider splitting the unit in half so you can split fire if you need to.

The slann goes behind the main line and works his magic on the invading Empire.
    You may as well keep the Slann in the main line if he has a bodyguard unit (most people shun lone Slann tactics although I like them, I'm not good enough to pull them off though) so you can use him to get a free rank and extra unit strength.

The Chameleon Skinks, I have an old skink characther, Oxayotl, and because of that I feel it would be nice to be able to include him, not as Oxayotl but as an ordinary Chameleon skink.
    Fair enough. I would suggest keeping the unit small though.

Hope I'm not too impossible and I really look forward to a lot of replies
    The forum can be a bit slow sometimes so don't be disheartened if replies are hard to come by.

(I am aware that my English ain't perfect but I hope it ain't too bad :rofl)
    If you hadn't have said this I would not have noticed you are not a native English speaker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

For the slaan the best items are the ones that have been said, but against empire I don't think the bane head will be very useful unless he uses a templar or special character, you could use that special skink character as a priest and use it with two scrolls then put it somewhere for telepathy.

I would make the saurus units into 12, 12 and 18, with the two smaller units with musicians only, and bump up the temple guard to 16(20 with slaan).

Turn the chamelean skinks into twice as many ordinary skinks for sreening your saurus and kroxigor(as said before, RAWR!).

Make your kroxigor unit 4 wide so they can take on infantry units for the front, and lose the champion.

As has been said before bump down the cav unit, I think 6 with musician would be the best, but I don't really use them so I'm not sure.

And finally I would get another salamander.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Ideally sallies should come in threes. You could easily find the points by streamlining the CoR down to around 6 with perhaps just a musician.

You could drop a unit of saurus and beef the others up to 20 strong, this gives you a good set of infantry with the TG. Good leadership and BSB means it will take a lot to break these guys.

Keep the chameleons I would say, they work great 8Y

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My army, take 2...

First, thanks for all the great replies, you pointed out a lot of things that I have tried to implement in this next take on my army, at least to some degreee.

After some thinking and fiddling here comes take 2 of my army:

4th gen slann
    Diadem of Power
    Plaque of Tepok
    BSB
    General
    440 points

Core:

Temple Guards [16] (4x5)
    Shields
    288 points

Saurus warriors [20] (5x4)
    Full command
    Spears
    310 points

Full command
    270 points

Skinks [10]
    Blowpipes
    Scout
    70 points

Skinks [10]
    Blowpipes
    Scout
    70 points

Chameleon Skinks [10]
    Blowpipes
    150 points

Special:

Saurus cavalry [6] (3x2)
    Musician
    220 points

Kroxigors [4] (4x1)
    Champion
    232 points

Rare:

Salamanders [3]
    195 points

Total: 2245 points

So i dropped one unit of saurus and made the other two bigger and also increased the number of temple guards so now there are three big units at the front of the army. Although I am a bit worried that the temple guards and the slann will be slaughtered way too fast if they are in the front line, or am I just being silly?

I cut off two saurus cavalary riders, the standard bearer and musician so now they are six strong, or weak?

I increased the kroxigors by one and the salamanders by one so now I have four lean mean killing machine in the form of kroxigors and three four legged lizards with bad breath. If I am not way off these two units should be able to hold one flank now?

I would like to include at least one skink priest with some dispel scrolls but I didn't find the points for it.

How does it look this time around?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x1)

Saurus should always have a large frontage to max out attacks.
    put the calvary into a 6x1 do as much damage on the charge as possible
    other than that, looks good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

I have a couple of small suggestions. I would drop the spears from the Saurus unit. Also, I don't think you will be able to utilize 3 scouting units. I would drop the scout from your skinks and just have the chameleons as scouts. You can use one unit of skinks to screen for your Kroxigor. Make the Cavalry 6x1. Not quite sure what you could do with the points except get another unit of skinks. If you can find 25-50 pts from elsewhere you could get the skink priest with 1 or 2 dispel scrolls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take 3

Thanks NecroNid & xhivetyrantx for your replies, really great of you!

This is the third take on my army list I am beginning to really get to like it. I haven't done anything major this time but there are some small changes done:

4th gen slann
    Diadem of Power
    Plaque of Tepok
    BSB
    General
    440 points

Skink Priest
    Magic Level 1
    65 points

Core:

Temple Guards [16] (4x5)
    Shields
    288 points

Full command
    270 points

Full command
    270 points

Skinks [10]
    Blowpipes
    60 points

Skinks [10]
    Blowpipes
    60 points

Chameleon Skinks [10]
    Blowpipes
    150 points

Special:

Saurus cavalry [6] (6x1)
    Musician
    220 points

Kroxigors [4] (4x1)
    Champion
    232 points

Rare:

Salamanders [3]
    195 points

Total: 2250 points

Removed the spears from one unit of saurus to free up 40 points and removed scout ability from both units of skinks for another 20 points wich gives me a total of 65 free points counting those left unused last take. 65 points is the cost of either a unit of skinks or a skink priest, and since I wanted a skink priest the choice is easy. Say hello to my skink priest.

I don't really like that I removed the spears from the saurus since I think they look really cool, but I also wanted the skink priest. I think it is better for the army with a skink priest rather than spears, but I ain't no expert.

The major reason for the spears was that I was thinking of buying myself a couple of smelly skaven and impaling them on the spears to create a mean looking unit. But on the other hand, I can always fit that unit in my cooming 3000 points army, along with everything else that didn't fit in this army. Like the stegadon, more kroxigors, some terradons, another unit of cavalary and a lot mor skinks. But that will have to wait a while until I get this army up and running and winning :happy:

Here is a quick sketch showing the deployment of my army, any comment on that would really be nice!

deployment.jpg

Like before I really appreciate replies and I read them all and try to incorporate what if good and I think is cool. So even if I don't incorporate your suggestion I read it and appreciate it a lot!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

It's looking good, one thing I have to say is try to find points for cloak of feathers on your priest, I find it really helps with telepathy.

About your sketch, first thing is very sophistocated, I like it, the only thing I can say is to do a bit more screening with your skinks, one good tactic I use is to let one saurus model see a unit you want to charge, declare one, declare one with your skink unit so it will move out of the way, and resolve that charge first, works like a charm (not a jaguar one).

So yep, you have most of the right units and the right sizes, I think it is ready for a game.

+ Reply to Thread