2250pt Unbeatable Lizardmen - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Outcast Shinigami thedrifter777's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

2250pt Unbeatable Lizardmen

Okay so I know it probably isn't completely unbeatable but I think this list is a great example of how balanced but powerful the new lizardmen book is. I have magic, hitting power, and even some decent shooting and speed. However, I want your thoughts on how to make it even better.

Lord: 405
    Slaan (405): BSB, Focus of Rumination, Becalming Cognition, Plaque of Tepok, Bane Head, Dispel Scroll

Heroes: 548
    Skink Priest (415): Lvl 2, Engine of the Gods, Diadem of Power

Scar-Veteran (133): Cold One, Light Armor, Shield, Burning Blade of Chotec

Core: 702
    18 Saurus Warriors (246): Spears, Full Command

18 Saurus Warriors (246): Spears, Full Command

10 Skirmishing Skinks

10 Skirmishing Skinks

10 Skirmishing Skinks

Special: 602
    16 Temple Guards (327): Full Command, Plaque of Dominion

5 Cold-One Calvary (185): Musician

3 Terradons

Total: 2257
    9PD/6DD

Last edited by thedrifter777; February 10th, 2009 at 23:13.
    "Dare to be Naive"

If someone helps you, or you just like what they say, rep them

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

I like the list except for a few things (actually just the rare slots)

I don't think you have enough core troops. I can't stand the poor-man's leadbelchers (I mean razordons) and would drop them all together. Your shooting would improve with more skinks. The overall army would greatly improve with more skinks, whether skirmishing or just small, cheap ranked units. I'd trade the razordons for salamanders, drop the other 2 razordons and get more skinks to redirect, slowdown and protect the flanks, allowing your saurus to get into battle better on their terms.

My only problem with the stegadon is that if you meet any warmachines, he'll go down in a hurry unless you happen to get the 4+ward save spell on your lvl2.

Let me know how the venom of the fireflyfrog works out. I was debating taking that one or the sword of the hornet for the TG champ. In reality, though, you don't want that unit getting into combat, so the better solution might be just to keep them cheap.

Even though they are terrible for the price, I'd consider some chameleon skinks. You have nothing to take down warmachines (except magic) and warmachines will eat up several units before you get into battle, making those last 3 turns difficult for you to stay on the board. Even if the chameleons just stand in front of the warmachine and poison the crew, at least they'll block LOS for a turn or 2. 60+ pts to spare your stegadon is probably worth it.
    (power stones on the slann might help as well)
    Last edited by buckero0; February 3rd, 2009 at 15:30.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Humm thanks for the advice. All good suggestions. Tried to make as many of the suggestions as possible.

As I was going over the points I had just enough left over to upgrade it my steggie into an ancient. Yes, its got a big shoot me sign on it but I think that's kinda the point. Decent in any phase and attracts attention away from the more important parts of my army, I think the upgrade is worth it if it can actually hit. (dreams of 2D6 str 6 attacks with 4D6 blowpipe attacks)
    "Dare to be Naive"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

131 (x5)

I like the list a good amount, I've actually worked out a similar one that I recently posted on here. I think however that your Temple Guard unit could be fleshed out to 20 men strong and that would help them a lot for CC purposes. Also if you can find the points, and Engine of the Gods would help this list out a lot as well I think.

Quote Originally Posted by buckero0 View Post
    Let me know how the venom of the fireflyfrog works out. I was debating taking that one or the sword of the hornet for the TG champ. In reality, though, you don't want that unit getting into combat, so the better solution might be just to keep them cheap.
    Why wouldn't you want the Temple Guard getting into CC? They are Stubborn on Ld. 9 with Cold Blooded and Unbreakable. They aren't going anywhere. Also anything that has a possibility of getting into CC with them will probably get special attention from the Slann for atleast a turn.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

160 (x7)

I should probably clarify. You don't want your TG getting into CC early. You never know when something fluky is going to happen (usually does turn 4-5) . TG are good in combat but not spectacular (unless the enemy is T3) so I would hate for the right flank to fold and leave my TG open to getting a cav charge. Not to say they wouldn't hold, but if you lose too many TG, your slann starts getting picked out and all he's got is a 4+ward (which I seem to fail quite often)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Spector View Post
    I think however that your Temple Guard unit could be fleshed out to 20 men strong and that would help them a lot for CC purposes. Also if you can find the points, and Engine of the Gods would help this list out a lot as well I think.
    I don't think that you want that many TG. I try to keep my lists at 14. I do agree that the EotG's would be nice. I would rather get an engine before a steg for the chief. I would really switch those up.

Why wouldn't you want the Temple Guard getting into CC? Because once in CC the slann can only cast MM spells. You really want to hold back the unit behind most everything else since you are paying the points for the extra die for casting. You need to get the most out of that.

My views,
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

160 (x7)

I did play against some lizzies with a slann in 20 TG unit. I almost had a rear shot on him which if he didn't have those extra TG I could have taken shots at his slann. He was maybe a bit more aggressive at the end of the game which with my poor rolling and a poor decision at the end gave him the win. TG can be great in combat and with ranks can eat through weaker units, but you have to be careful with them. I'm not disagreeing with you completely sirkently, I'd probably run them 14 strong if I ran a slann, but I'm just pointing out that they can have some usefulness in larger sizes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Hey again, thanks for the replies. I tried to make several changes to really dominate the magic phase both offensively and defensively while still maintaining some nasty close combat ability. A little closer to actually unbeatable now.

Still a little unsure where to shave 7pts.
    "Dare to be Naive"

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

160 (x7)

do you really need the bane head? How are you planning on even using it? Unless you play dwarves or WoC and use the lore of metal, your slann will have a hard time wounding an enemy character.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by buckero0 View Post
    do you really need the bane head? How are you planning on even using it? Unless you play dwarves or WoC and use the lore of metal, your slann will have a hard time wounding an enemy character.
    Actually that was exactly what I was planning. Lore of Metal plus Bane Head is just nasty. Even against armies like Empire or DoC Khorne heralds on juggers it can be devastating.

However, since I do have to shed points that probably is the best candidate. I'll just stick with lore of death most likely than for an all round magic lore.
    "Dare to be Naive"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast