[2000pts]The Definitive Lizardmen List. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x1)

[2000pts]The Definitive Lizardmen List.

Ok so I should explain the title. Basically, my goal was to create a compositionally balanced list making use of the gems that the new army book gives us in order that those making the exodus from other races onto Lizardmen can use this as their first stop before we get inundated with "WHAT DO I DO WITH LIZARDS?" questions.

As such, (and it's a bold but measured claim) I believe this to be the army list of choice for any budding newcomers to Lizardmen. I appreciate it may not be the most powerful, nor the most tournament-worthy, but it should give newcomers and exhaustive appreciation of the minions of the Old Ones!

Mods/Admins, do what you will with it!

Slann Mage-Priest – 325 pts.
    The Focused Rumination/Becalming Cogitation

Skink Priest – 390 pts.
    Level 2 Upgrade/Engine of the Gods

Scar Veteran – 160 pts.
    Cold One Mount/Light Armour/Sword of Battle/Shield of the Mirrored Pool

18 Saurus Warriors – 246 pts.
    Full Command/Spears

10 Skink Skirmishers – 70 pts.

10 Skink Skirmishers – 70 pts.

14 Temple Guard – 284 pts.
    Full Command/Warbanner

5 Cold One Cavalry – 205 pts.
    Standard Bearer/Musician

3 Kroxigors – X pts.

7 Chameleon Skinks – X pts.

TOTAL – 1997 pts.

PP: 9 + The Focused Rumination + Engine of the Gods
    DP: 6 + Becalming Cogitation

2000pts on the nose. And you can be damn sure that this is what I'll be using to enjoy the game!

Whaddaya think?

Q

Last edited by Quannum; February 11th, 2009 at 11:38. Reason: typo
    Was this post helpful? Please click the Thumbs Up button to the left if it was. Cheers!

Quannum, funkin' out in every way. Since 1987.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

First off, I would say that the cost for the slann is off, unless you forgot to list a dispel scroll or other item. You really should have some skink skirmishers as they are a staple of lizardmen lists. I think the saurus units are too small, and you really should put in sallies and/or razordons to show off the complete line.

I am not a big fan of the mixed skink/krox unit, but it will give the newcomer an idea of what they can do.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Quannum View Post

[B]Slann Mage-Priest – 325 pts.points are off, you get one discipline for free (unless you were trying to include a warbanner and forgot to type it out. or forgot that you included it in the Temple Guard)
    BSB/The Focused Rumination

Skink Priest – 415 pts.
    Level 2 Upgrade/Engine of the Gods/Dispel Scroll I really think the standard EoTG will include the diadem and scroll, or with a slann, the plaque of "I know an extra spell"

Scar Veteran – 160 pts. I personally think you should drop this guy for some skinks
    Cold One Mount/Light Armour/Sword of Battle/Shield of the Mirrored Pool

14 Temple Guard – 284 pts.kind of small, but what can you do in 2k, maybe drop the champion, or buff the champion
    Full Command/Warbanner

7 Chameleon Skinks – X pts.

5 Cold One Cavalry – 205 pts.
    Standard Bearer/Musician

16 Skinks – 204 pts. Since this is meant to help out future lizzie players I have to point out that this unit will get flanked by fast cav the first 3 games and be run off the board for 300pts, then the newbies will think they've wasted $30 on kroxigors. Krox are not as good as they were, but they can still play the role of support ogres if given the chance. Get 3 and put them in their own unit. Drop the banner/musician and you have a unit of skirmishers or if you're cheap, a unit of screen javelin throwers.
    Standard Bearer/Musician/Kroxigor/Kroxigor

12 Saurus Warriors – 174 pts. combine these two and you've got something that can take a charge. I keep seeing this with Chaos warriors (doesn't work with them, why would it work with saurus?) Get yourself some ranks and you have a tough unit. With just 12 you have one rank and a banner to give up. Most armies have cavalry and most armies have shooting. All you have to do is kill 2 saurus and this unit is prime for giving up VP. You have to have static res. You have no redirecting or annoyance units to control the enemy charges and movement. Every cavalry unit in the game can and should charge this unit and roll over them. Bulk them up to 20 or don't take them. 18 saurus, 6 wide is probably acceptable. Saurus in units of 12 are terrible and are givers of victory points. if this is meant to help newer players, we should teach them the principles of winning strategies, not losing strategies. If you're looking for speedbump units, take 10 with no command (not a good idea since you have skinks to act/react to charges, etc)
    Full Command/Spears

12 Saurus Warriors – 174 pts.
    Full Command/Spears
    Somehow, having a new book has made everyone drop what was successful in the past and ignore it. Skinks were good, saurus were marginal core blocks of static res, Kroxigors were great and flavorful. Skinks are still good, they are only 10pts more per unit (or cheaper if you take the block screen) Saurus got a big boost, they don't have to be marginal and can go toe to toe with most core troops these days. Krox got nerfed, but still serve the same purpose (high strength support groups) The slann is still in control of the magic phase with his skink priest supporting him. Things have changed slightly, The skink priest is more of a help than he was before. The slann can miscast, but can take over a magic phase still and provides solid leadership. Don't stray from the past, it still has lessons for us. Ignore the bad stuff in the new book and work with what serves to make a balanced list.

AS far as the list above goes, I'd combine the saurus into one unit, get one more krox and run them 3 wide, get MORE skinks, run them by themselves where they can be useful. Then you'll have a better chance of enjoying your games.

Listen to sirkently, check out his posts and army lists, I hope I haven't been too harsh, but if you're going to appoint yourself the guidance counselor to all new lizzie players, we've got to point out some of the pitfalls of your list. It has some really good components, and some that will make you lose the game to anyone who knows how to play. Let's buff up the good stuff and support it with some more good stuff and get you a balanced, fun list, that others might want to try out.
    Last edited by buckero0; February 10th, 2009 at 16:28.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x1)

Some sound advice guys thanks.

I just want to offer a list that will be useful to direct people towards when they join the masses.

Ok rejigged list up in OP.
    Last edited by Quannum; February 11th, 2009 at 11:40.
    Was this post helpful? Please click the Thumbs Up button to the left if it was. Cheers!

Quannum, funkin' out in every way. Since 1987.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

seems good, might use bits of it

+ Reply to Thread