starting out 1000 pt., mixed unit "gift-wrap" list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    JHK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

starting out 1000 pt., mixed unit "gift-wrap" list

Greetings.
    I am new to this forum and new to Lizardmen, so I thank you all in advance for your patience in bringing me up to speed.

As a bit of background, my main experience with WHFB is playing High Elves, where I began a Caledor heavy list (dragon mages, Dragon Princes, Archers and Eagles). I think what has stalled my continuing interest in High Elves is that the army is a little too "specialized". I liked the huge amount of flexibility in the special and rares, but disliked the reliance on plans (and the need for things to go according to plan) that the army required. I am more of a reactive player (water style in 40K terms), so I have been looking around for a more resiliant army that is flexible and still strong in magic. Lizardmen seemed like the most intriguing choice, especially since no one locally plays them (mostly Orcs, Empire, Demons, DE and VC). The new book has appealed to me, and I like the opportunity for taking multiple monsters. In all honesty, I am also not gifted with huge amounts of time for gaming, so the possibility of an army that can be painted quickly, via dry-brushing and washing also appeals- the HE were simply to time intensive to paint.

After reading the book for a week, and surfing a few forums, it seems to me that one of the specialities of the new Lizardmen is the ability to make "gift-wrapped" units- i.e. large troops blocks that contain a central figure of awesome power- so the brute force of large monsters and Ogre-sized troopers is augmented with the ability to win static combat resolution- e.g. Kroxigors in Skink units, Hero mounted Stegs in Saurus or Skink units, Slann in TG, etc.... It seems like the jury is still out on whether this is a terribly powerful specialization, but I really like the idea of it both conceptually and visually.

Without further chatter, I wanted to put out a simple 1000 pt. list for thoughts and comments. This is my first attempt at putting such an army together.

-Skink Chief- Stegadon and Stegadon Spear, Light Armor.
    -Skink Priest- Level 2, Dispel Scroll

Core:

16 Saurus, Spears, full command

11 Skinks, 1 Kroxigor, Full command

10 Skink Slirmishers, Javelins

Special:
    3 Terradon Riders

The plan is to put the Skink Chief and his Stegadon in the Saurus Block, The Skirmishers can guard one of the flanks and the more mobile skink block takes the other side, hoping to wheel for a flank charge or get the jump on a slower enemy unit. The terradons are mainly for hunting war machines or protecting a flank if needed.

An alternate plan is to drop the Skink Chief and his Steg and mount the priest- putting the Engine in the Saurus Block and having them hang back for a turn or two and taking advantage of the magic phase. Another option I thought of was to not use the Terradon's, but to take a single chief on a terradon instead and give him the staff of the sun- good for sniping or War Machine hunting.

Eventually the plan is to scale the army to 2000+ pts. and have one or two more Characters on Stegs (probably double Engines), all "gift wrapped", in some Saurus Blocks, moving the Chief's stegadon to a mixed unit with 16 skinks, two Krox's. with some swifter troops skirmishing on the flanks, but I wanted to build it in sections to keep up with the painting and spreading the cost.

Anyway, any thoughts about this list as a starting point would be appreciated. As a new lizardman general, I know I have a lot to pick up!

thanks all...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Welcome to lizardmen. Your description of the "gift wrap" of characters is a good one. But in 1k games, I think you are spending too much with your chief/stegadon combo that the rest of your force is left wanting. Being new to lizardmen, as we all are at this point, I would try to go for some more units. Leave the stegadon for larger games.

I would get a scar-vet for the general. Keep the priest. Get a couple blocks of saurus. The 2 units of skinks, but don't put one kroxigor in it, doesn't give you enough of a bonus. Then maybe a unit of kroxigors.

That would be my general starting point for a 1k army.

Good luck,
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

JHK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the feedback!

I thought about your comments and made a few modifications to the list. I have been following a long thread on mixed Skink/Krox units, and am going to try it, but I agree that the main line needs strengthening. I decided to try a unit of 10 Temple Guard rather than another 15 Saurus. I also had a hard time letting go of the Stegadon. The price is almost as low as another Saurus Block, and the army seemed to call out for a Bolt thrower/flank breaker. We shall see

Here is the list with some revisions:

Scar Vet: Shield of the Mirrored Pool, Sword of Might, Light Armor, Shield
    -Skink Priest- Level 2, Dispel Scroll (1)

Core:

16 Saurus, Spears, full command

11 Skinks, 1 Kroxigor, musician

10 Skink Slirmishers, Javelins

Special:
    10 Temple Guard, Full Command
    1 Stegadon

I am making an educated guess on outfitting the Scar-vet- Emphasizing magic defense and durability over heavy aggression. Am I on the right track with that? There were a few different builds I was considering (in both cases hanging on to the Sword of Might and trying wither the Maiming Shield or the War Drums...).

As an alternate plan to the Skink Priest, I was thinking of trying a different approach to dealing with opponents magic- the mage-hunter Skink Chief (terradon, Staff of the Lost Sun, Bane Head, Light Armor/Shield and Spear).

Thanks, and any other thoughts would be great!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey,

Newer person to warhammer and I have a question. Is the reason that you're able to place the Steg's in the unit that they are technically the monstrous mounts of the Skink Chief?

-L

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by entorin View Post
    Is the reason that you're able to place the Steg's in the unit that they are technically the monstrous mounts of the Skink Chief?
    You are correct. Characters riding monstrous mounts can be placed in units, as long as the mounts don't fly or the unit for that matter, and the units aren't skirmishers.

SirKently

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think temple guard are worth taking unless you have a Slann, for 4 points less you can take a spear equipped saurus unit. The spear saurus would be far more effective.

If you are looking for cheap magic defence, equip your skink priest with the diadem of power so that you can have 5 dispel dice at your disposal. Shield of the mirrored pool is a pleasant surprise for your opponent but I doubt after the first time your scar vet will be the target of a magic missile.
    Last edited by Kich; February 17th, 2009 at 21:08.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought that you could only take Temple Guard if you took a Slaan.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

494 (x8)

No, you can take them whenever you want. They are just a lot better with a slann, so you won't see them on there own very often. They do have str5 attacks though.

SirKently

JHK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kich View Post
    I dont think temple guard are worth taking unless you have a Slann, for 4 points less you can take a spear equipped saurus unit. The spear saurus would be far more effective.
    Might be so- I will certainly let you know. I have a lot of dwarves to fight in my area, so the +1 str. seems golden to me. 12 TG with full command is only about 14 pts more than 15 Saurus with same...

Quote Originally Posted by Kich View Post
    If you are looking for cheap magic defence, equip your skink priest with the diadem of power so that you can have 5 dispel dice at your disposal. Shield of the mirrored pool is a pleasant surprise for your opponent but I doubt after the first time your scar vet will be the target of a magic missile.
    This seems tempting as well- When the list expands to 2250 I was planning on taking an EoTG (possibly 2) and equipping with a diadem, since it seemed an obvious way to spill over the dice generated by having the "free" upgrade to lvl. 3.

As for the Mirrored shield, you may be right- could switch to the War drum or the Maiming shield pretty easily.

cheers

+ Reply to Thread