2250 Carnie list critics needed - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2250 Carnie list critics needed

Hello people of librarium

I have recently dug up my models and thought i would ask for some suggestions on my list so far im still trying to get comfortable with the rules and trying to get an idea from the forums of whats good i have been in one mini tourny and got smashed from not having enough points in heroes so i hope im not overcompensating now

Oldblood
    Carnie, LA, Enchant shield, Bane head, Piranha blade, Glyph necklace

Skink lvl1
    EOTG, Drums, Diadem

Skink lvl1
    2x DS

Scar Vet
    LA, BSB, Shield

20 Sarus cmd
    20 Sarus spr cmd
    10 skink skirmish bp
    10 skink skirmish bp
    10 skink skirmish jav
    12 skink skirmish jav

3 terradons
    3 terradons

2 sallys

So i have not had a chance to test it, will be playing friends VC and HE
    Will 2 scrolls and 7 DD be enough as pit of shades can 1 hit my steg? I was planing on having steg and sprs to hold one flank and sallys and carnie on the other with a couple of skink screens to draw fire, except one bp unit for caddy to hide in at the back of the formation, also worried about items lthat treat magic weapon as mundane ruining my 4 wounds from one combo
    Thanks for any feedback on the list itself or ideas on how to use it
    Grosh

Last edited by Grosh; December 3rd, 2009 at 16:43.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey,

I've only recently dug up my models as well, but one thing I've learned so far is that you absolutely must take saurus warriors with spears since they get two attacks period with the new rules, not one spear attack and one "bite" attack. Also, skink skirmishers should really only ever have blowpipes, never javelins. Try to get at least the priest on the engine up to level two, and get some more protection for your bsb. The hide of the cold ones with a great weapon is expensive, but is a great setup for a bsb. You could just give the enchanted shield the oldblood has to the bsb if you want a cheap alternative to the aforementioned hide/gw combo. Split the two sallies into separate, one-man units, and add an extra handler to each. Finally, you probably don't need 20 saurus in each block, you could get by with 18 in a 6x3 formation.

Hope this helps,

DeRailed_612

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is this one magic item the Lizzies have, 30 points, dispells magic missles on a +2 right back at the enemy,is one item you should have.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I remember the points value correctly the EOTG skink is over its points with the war drums and diadem, with the set up for the priests i think the best combination is this;

Skink priest
    - Lvl 2 (important as it makes you count as a level 3 with the EOTG and therefore generates more dispel dice etc)
    - EOTG
    - Plaque of Tepok
    - Wardrums/ dispel scroll

Skink priest (hide this guy in a unit of skinks or on the extreme of a board edge i dont imagine him doing much besides acting as a dispel dice producer, of course though adapt to your opponent)
    - Lvl 2
    - Diadem of power (the maximum power dice you can store anyway is 2 so putting it on the EOTG in my opinion limits the potential of the EOTG which basically counts as a level 3 wizard which means it can cast 4 dice for those big spelly i.e. Comet whereas the foot priest could only use 3 dice)
    - Dispel scroll

With the Carnosaur combination I think the biggest problem would be that you might be led on a wild goose chase as you have to nominate who the effect of the bane head applies to and your opponent is aware of this and he may be mounted on a flying mount which can seriously outmanoeuvre a carnosaur , a sneaky opponent might lead your Carnosaur into a trap as you’d most likely be charging headlong at the nominated target, or it could work well and might keep the enemy character from going anywhere near the part of the battlefield where the Carnosaur is or even better challenge you unless of course there extremely strong themself.

My personal favourite builds for the Carnosaur are;

Old blood (7+1 attacks when frenzied, 1+ armour save/ 5 +ward save)
    - Carnosaur
    - Scimitar of the sun
    - Glyph necklace
    - Enchanted shield
    - Light armour

Old blood (-4 to enemy armour save + renders regen useless, ignores march blocking, 1+ armour/ 5+ ward)
    - Carnosaur
    - Burning blade of Chotec
    - Glyph necklace
    - Enchanted shield
    - Light armour
    - War drums (Most people prefer to put this on the EOTG but i also find this is very useful depending on how you want to play your Carnosaur i usually put him running up a flank past those pesky march blockers and into a flank... hopefully)

id probably put the scar veteran on a coldone for increased defence he'll be seeing alot of attacks coming his way, you can still equip him with magical items id probably take advantage of that.
    Last edited by feralsavage; December 3rd, 2009 at 19:33.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys for the speedy and high quality feedback
    I really like the new oldblood setup i think it will handle alot better now, also i now realise how squishy the bsb would have been and opted to go with the coldone armour i have terrible luck generally so hopefully ill role low for the stupidity tests too not to mention he could hurt knights in return
    I feel alot more comfortable with the magic too and may even get some spells off against a few armies the only further question is with the below setup should i drop a skink and up the plaque of tepok on EOTG to rod of storm or another DS?
    Tried to go with 2 lots of 12 so 1 more has to die for panic tests in shooting the 3rd unit will be to hide the caddie and try and pick off march blockers or scouts

Old blood
    - Carnosaur, Burning blade of Chotec, Glyph necklace
    - Enchanted shield, Light armour, War drums

Scar Vet
    - Shield, Hide of coldones, GW, BSB

Skink priest lvl 2
    - EOTG, DS, Plauque of Tepok

Skink priest lvl 2
    - Diadem, DS

18 Sarus, spr, cmd
    18 Sarus, spr, cmd

10 skink skirmishers BP
    12 skink skirmishers BP
    12 skink skirmishers BP

4 Terradons

1 sally with xtra handler
    1 saly with xtra handler

Also the only reason i had one unit of sarus with handweapon is i sadly built and painted a unit like that before new rules the other is with spear so hopefully ill stick the first two ranks with spear for representation and hope oponents wont mind
    Cheers all again for the help if you notice anything else worth mentioning with old or new setup still feel free to let me know
    Grosh PS is the mirrored shield that good? They would learn after the first spell and magic missles dont seem ground breaking

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally find the rod of the storm risky to take unless you have a magic heavy army because it is one use only and likely to be dispelled with just 2-3 dice, another dispel scroll could be useful but having two is already pretty good it largely depends on what your going to verse if your opponents are mainly magic heavy then its probably a good choice, but if your not a fan of tailoring then the setup you have right now is very good.

for the skinks you would need to up the squad to 13 models to avoid the panic check from taking three casualties remebering thats its 25% that causes panic 12/4=3, 10/4=2.5 so really 3, skinks in squads of 10 are just fine no real need to up there number.

saurus command models arent really necessary unless your going for an army composition score aswell you could use the extra points for investing ino another unit of teradons for example, i find 2 units of 3 terradons alot more versatile then 1 bigger unit

the shield of the mirrored pool can be good for example; say you have a unit of temple guard with slann who has magic resistance 3 discipline and another saurus unit with a scar veteran who has the mirrored pool the rest of your units are on the flanks and to far away/ or out of sight of magic missiles (most magic missiles tend to have a range of around 18-24 and require line of sight) this potentially denies your enemy the ability to use his magic missiles with out using lots of dice which risks miscasting or having the spell rebounded onto them. (im not sure but i dont think irresitables can be rebounded)
    Last edited by feralsavage; December 4th, 2009 at 09:57.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The one thing I'm afraid of when I see this list is that you don't have anything to support your carnosaur appart from the engine. 2 blocks of saurie are nice and solid, but very slow. You can;t really move up because your 2 monsters won't beat a complete army by them self, and you can't really hang back because you will get shot to pieces. Terradons are nice for harrasement, but easy to dispatch. I would trade the salamanders and some other stuff for a unit of cold one knights. That way you can really threathen there battleline.

HK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say keep the saly's, drop the command models from the saurus units as the sheer number of attacks, and being in range of the BSB will keep them around long enough, also drop a terradon, a unit of skinks, and then add in a unit of cold ones (no need for command in this unit either).

If you are running the second skink priest as a scroll caddy, then there is no need for him to be part of a unit, just sit him behind a unit of saurus, he can get his job done from just about anywhere.

And also when playing VC maybe swap out the saly's for razordons, although i havent any experience with them, im sure the shots will pay off more than if you were to force Ld tests on unbreakable units?

Hope this is of some help to you.
    Last edited by chickennappr; December 4th, 2009 at 19:51.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah it helps alot i have 9 CO models but havnt used them as i fielded 6 with champ one day it ran into a shitty unit and died second round of combat (was rolling god aweful tho) So ill trust your judgements and give them another go as i can see the carni wouldnt last long by himself.
    Should i have the steg, carni and CO's all on the same flank or stick the steg with his stubbon on the other flank to try and help defend which would leave him behind getting shot at?

The only models i dont have is razordons but they are a nice model so ill give them, need as much help as i can get on the op VC army
    I also have the slann model ill work out a list for it later but i like the magic resist and mirrored pool idea now ill give that a go for sure now

I have edited the list so i can run 6 Cold ones in, i have dropped commands, a terradon,
    14 skinks and the plaque of tepok to get them i have a game planned for tomorrow against my VC friend i hope the list goes well thanks everyone for the great feedback i would give you all rep i just dont know how to go about it
    Will give you feedback on how it went and still up for any critisims/comments i have learnt alot in this thread i didnt even know that skellies took panic tests from shooting cheers all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'dd let the stegadon walk alone. To bad he doesn't have the wardrum.. Still he can try and go around a flank, giving your opponent 2 options. Reduce his magic/shooting at the other flank (carnosaur and knights) and aim for the steg or just try to pin him down. Either way, your getting the most out of it. Once you can pin a unit from the side, he is likely to be stuck at least 2 turns, wich makes it easaly to get the saurus into place. Not to mention the burning alignement now starts to shine! Blast away anyone who tries to come near to safe the unit you've pinned down. In short : I rather have the enemy spend his attention on my stegadon instead of knights/carnosaur which die alot easier.

On the other side, your carnosaur and cold one knights are almost unkillable. When they get a charge off, almost every enemy will break. Just be carefull that your knights don't get charged by something hard, like other knights, or a dragon or something..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast