Magic Centric List (is this too Broken?) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x1)

Magic Centric List (is this too Broken?)

I built this as my default 2000 point list, and I have pretty much steamrolled my opponents... is it because they aren't very good, or is it because the list is too 'competitive'?

Slann Mage Priest 390 (General)
    Focused Rumination
    Unfathomable Presence
    Plaque of Tepok
    Harrowing Scrutiny

Skink Priest 415
    Level 2
    Engine of the Gods
    Dispel Scroll

Saurus Warriors
    18 Saurus
    Champion
    Musician
    Standard Bearer

Skink Skirmishers
    10 Skinks

Temple Guard
    20 Temple Guard
    -Champion
    --Sword of the Hornet
    Musician
    Standard Bearer
    --Sun Standard of Chotec

Terradon Riders
    4 Terradons

Saurus Warriors
    18 Saurus
    -Spears
    -Standard Bearer
    -Musician

Saurus Scar Veteran
    Light Armor
    Shield
    Glyph Necklace

In my last game, I took very few casualties. And I was expecting to be torn up by the handgunners and great cannons. I dominated the magic phase (pretty much anyway...when I couldn't seem to get any spells off at all for two turns that was frustrating...I should overpower the spellcasting early on I think,and force the use of dispel scrolls by my opponent.

Highlight reel: Skink priest crawled from the wrecked howdah of the stegadon,and stabbed an empire knight. And then beat feet out of pursuit distance. Rallied and blasted the unit with an Uranon's thunderbolt.

Very Respectfully,
    --Forsaken

* "I'm Significant!" -screamed the dust speck
    * "Call me old fashioned, but an evil ascension to power just isn't the same without someone chanting faux Latin in the background."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

I don't think it's broken, but it is a very solid list.

I think that I would give the scar veteran the flying bound spell instead of a ward and maybe a great weapon.

It lacks a lot of mobility and once the engine (and preferably the skink priest) is dead then you can be surrounded and outmanuevred relatively easily, saurus warriors are great but once flanked are much less so.

Drop a saurus unit and add in another couple of units of skinks and maybe add a salamander or 2 and you will find the army much more fun to play. Less like a very slow steam roller and more like a something smaller with really fast annoying interferance being run in front of it.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x1)

@ Allonairre:

Thank you for your feedback. I have definitely thought about giving my Scar Vet the Jaguar Totem (or whatever that item is actually called) but I think it works better on my oldblood (with Armor of the Cold Ones. That, and I love the model I build for him.)

I know I am not particularly mobile, and I know that they suck at being flanked. (I was eaten by some dark elves who got the flank charge on me)

I only have 20 Skink Skirmishers total, so I am limited as far as that is concerned. My army tends to be very saurus based. (I have 24 w/ hand weapons, and 2 units of 24 with spears; but I can always reduce the numbers to 18 to save points)

If I drop one of the units of Saurus for Saurus Cavalry, I would still be in theme... but have some more mobility.

Salamanders...? I keep hearing that Razordons are better... but I am not certain.

Thank you for your feedback, and I would like to hear more from a more experienced Lizardmen player (or someone who has played more than 5 games of fantasy).

Very Respectfully,
    --Forsaken
    * "I'm Significant!" -screamed the dust speck
    * "Call me old fashioned, but an evil ascension to power just isn't the same without someone chanting faux Latin in the background."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, I am a firm believer in only having two blocks of troops for my lizardmen, and the rest being reasonably mobile, that being said, i am not going to tell you to alter your list, it doesnt seem overpowered or cheesy, and if it is winning you games and you/your opponent are having fun then i say stick to it.

If you do choose to alter your list a little, i would reccomend running a unit of 6 cold ones, they hit hard on the charge, and draw alot of heavy fire away from your troop blocks.

When it comes to Sallys V Razors, i personally have found both to be fairly effective, sallys are the preferred but under certain circumstances i find razors to be highly effective, they can deny zones, much like the dwarven organ gun and are great for taking down lightly armoured troops/fast cavalry.

I believe you can find more opinions here - http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...lamanders.html (razordons or salamanders?)

Hope this helps you.

Chickenout!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

To answer your original question, your list isn't overpowered, so I would say your opponents are having a little trouble adjusting to it. Empire does have problems vs. many things. Without the steam tank/warmachine horde, they will have trouble against lizardmen, and lots of other armies also. If you want to tone it down a little, play with an oldblood. Some builds can be fun, especially the carnosaur mounted oldblood. But this type of list is more balanced to play against.

Have fun,
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

+ Reply to Thread