<1000 New Lizardmen player seeking advice (2000 pts) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Lizardmen player seeking advice (2000 pts)

Hello all; I'm a returning player to WFB (played Orcs in 6th), and a first-timer to lizardmen looking for a bit of advice on army lists. I've got two lists drawn up that I think look good, and would greatly appreciate someone looking at them and telling me which one is the more playable of the two, as well as any modifications I ought to make to the list(s). I am personally a little more partial to #2, but I don't really know these things yet. Thank you!

LIST 1
    Slann Mage-Priest
    Focused Rumination, Focus of Mystery, Rod of the Storm, Plaque of Protection
    Skink Priest
    Lvl. 2, Engine of the Gods
    Scar-Veteran
    Battle-Standard Bearer, Horned One, Light Armor, Shield, Burning Blade

18 Saurus Warriors
    Spears, Full Command
    10 Skink Skirmishers
    Brave
    10 Skink Skirmishers
    no upgrades

14 Temple Guards
    Full Command
    3 Terradons
    Brave
    1 Stegadon
    no upgrades

1 Salamander
    Extra Handler

Total: 1999pts

LIST 2
    Slann Mage-Priest
    Focused Rumination, Focus of Mystery, Rod of the Storm, Plaque of Protection
    Skink Priest
    Lvl. 2, Engine of the Gods

18 Saurus Warriors
    Spears, Full Command
    18 Saurus Warriors
    Spears, Full Command
    17 Skink Warriors
    2 Kroxigor, Brave, Standard Bearer
    10 Skink Skirmishers
    Brave

16 Temple Guard
    Full Command
    3 Terradons
    no upgrades

1 Salamander
    Extra Handler

Total: 2000pts

I think that I'm more partial to the second because, although it loses a hero, some shooting, and a stegadon, it is much more powerful in close combat (at least as far as I can tell), while still having a strong magic and at least some shooting presence (and I suppose the 17 Skink warriors can throw their javelins, as poor shooters as they are). For larger games, I think I would add some cold one cavalry, another salamander, and some more shooting skinks, but that's for much farther down the road.

Thanks again!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, my preference would probably lean towards List 1 initially - though I'd drop the teradon brave (honestly, no real use for him), the skink brave and probably the champion in the warrior unit so I could squeeze in 2 more TG for that unit to give a proper 5x4 block with the slann attached.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x6)

Have you considered two units of skinks and placing them on your flanks and using the slan to cast your spells through either flank? Having 2 stegadons, the slan and 3 units of warriors would give you a heck of a lot of power dice, dispell dice and some good close combat.
    thanks
    antique_nova
    Superior stamina may win battles, but the ability to quickly recover wins wars.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you know what this O&G is known for using?

Generally speaking, O&G don't usually carry a lot of magic weapons, so the discipline that allows a slan to only be harmed by magic is something to consider.

Also, the one that adds terror (or having the fear banner can't remember its name) is something as it might allow you to really mess up his intention on CR.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you go list 1, I would drop the Scar Veteran and make the Slann the BSB. buy a Skink Chief with Steggie warspear and put him on that Stegadon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you go list 1 then i would drop the skink brave on the skink skirmishers and the brave on the terradons.
    All the things GMJoeSolarte said are useful too.
    Hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for everyone's replies

Despite the heavy lean here for the first list, my instinct is still in preference to the second, so I think I'm going to go with that. However, I've dropped the champions from every unit except the temple guard, added an scar-vet, and made the Slann the BSB.

Thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread