<3000 3000 Points for 'Ard Boyz - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3000 Points for 'Ard Boyz

Hey everybody I'm new to the forums, but not to the game. I'm getting geared up for 'Ard Boyz this month, but I feel like my list is lackign something. I fear I will have trouble with hordes and gunlines. I'd really like to get some skinks or chameleons in, but I'm not sure what to drop.

Lords-720
    Saurus Oldblood on Cold one w/ Armor of Destiny, Sword of the Hornet, Dawnstone

Slann w/ Cupped hand of the old ones & Dispel Scroll. Disciplines are Focus of Mystery, Focused Rumination, and Unfathomable presence. (I Thought about switching out the unfathomable presence for the item that does the same thing, but it would only save me 5 points and I wouldn't have room for the scroll. Also, can I take a dispel scroll with cupped hands since they're both arcane items?)

Heroes-550
    Chakax
    Gor-Rok

Core-822
    21 Saurus with spears, full command
    20 Saurus with spears, full command
    20 Saurus with spears, full command

Special-908
    Stegadon
    15 Temple Guard, Full Command
    14 Cold one Cavalry, Full command

Now, I do not have any kroxigor or salamanders/razordons at my disposal, however I have a skink priest and a skink chief available, as well as plenty of skinks, 11 additional saurus, and about 10 Chameleons, plus another stegadon.

I don't think this list will work out as well as i'd like, but I'm not sure what to change. Can anybody help me out?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

I think what you are feeling is a lack of units. Of your two heroes, I would pick one and drop the other. Two units of warriors with the temple guard should be plenty. I think the cold one cavalry is a little big, but I haven't tried a unit this size yet. I would then get some skinks. Salamander units, terradon units and finally some skirmishers or ranked up ones.

As to your question about the arcane items, the slann can't have two arcane items, and the scroll counts now, so you will have to drop one of them.

Good luck,
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sirkently View Post
    I think what you are feeling is a lack of units. Of your two heroes, I would pick one and drop the other. Two units of warriors with the temple guard should be plenty. I think the cold one cavalry is a little big, but I haven't tried a unit this size yet. I would then get some skinks. Salamander units, terradon units and finally some skirmishers or ranked up ones.

As to your question about the arcane items, the slann can't have two arcane items, and the scroll counts now, so you will have to drop one of them.

Good luck,
    SirKently
    Ok, I suppose I can part with Gor-Rok for now, since this is a competitive setting. I'm a little apprehensive about shrinking the cavalry down since it has to be at least 10 strong when I get the flank sharge to disrupt, and i'm accounting for the casualties I will likely receive from shooting.
    Dropping Gor-Rok will allow me a nice sized unit of skinks and a skink priest for some extra magic support. I'm thinking about using the skirmishers since I don't have any kroxigors to support a ranked unit. Although I may just take a chameleon unit for the scouts deployment, and I still have about 600 points left in the special slot.
    I don't own any of the hunting packs or terradon riders, although I would one day like to. (too much $)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

Drop Gor-Rok for 2 units of 5 Chameleons. That will help u with gun lines a little and keeping opponent honest with characters not in units.

The Coldone Cavalry......split them in 2 units of 7. Run them 7 wide. With 2 attacks per rider you don't want them in the two ranks. They have a 2+ armor save so they can weather bow fire reasonably well. Whatever your Saurus warriors hit in the front your Calvary hits in the side. Also, use them to screen their Flyers or Fast Cav. Declaring charges against them wherever you can to force them away from your lines. I've been running my Coldone's as 2 units of 5 with good success. They cross the board as fast as possible plowing into hand gunners, bowmen or the likes.
    40K: Tyranid, Necron, Space Wolves
    Fantasy: Dark Elves, Lizardmen, Orcs & Goblins, Dwarves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, bt by splitting into 2 units of 7, that would actually cost me more points due to command costs, although I do like the 2 small units of chameleons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by ozzfann0666 View Post
    yes, bt by splitting into 2 units of 7, that would actually cost me more points due to command costs, although I do like the 2 small units of chameleons.
    2 units of 6 then.....dropping 2 riders will make command points available.
    40K: Tyranid, Necron, Space Wolves
    Fantasy: Dark Elves, Lizardmen, Orcs & Goblins, Dwarves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That definitely sounds like a good idea. have 1 unit on each flank. 1 will have the lord with them, and i'll put the stegadon on the opposite flank to support the other unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I revamped my list, again, so here's what I'm working with now.

Lords
    Slann w/ Cupped hands of the old ones, obsidian lodestone
    Disciplines- Focus of Mystery (Lore of Life), The focused Rumination

Saurus Oldblood on Cold One w/ Armor of Destiny, Luckstone, Sword of the Hornet

Heroes
    Chakax

Core
    20 Saurus w/ Spears, Full Command

Special
    10 Temple Guard
    Stegadon
    5 Chameleons
    5 Chameleons
    7 Cold One Cavalry w/ Full command

I was seriously feeling that lack of units, and I realized how much of a threat dwarven gunlines and cannonades pose to me, so I decided to add the chameleons to harry them while the saurus and Temple Guard move up the center, flanked by the Cavalry on one side, and the stegadon on the other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi

Couple of points -

What are 10 Temple Guard going to do? in a 3000 point 8th ed game what is their goal? and at 10 strong how can they do it?

Regarding Cold ones - I disagree with the SirKently - Big is better in 8th ed. People simply are not used to it. If your putting a champion in the unit bulk it up - if you can only take 7 i would consider scrapping the whole unit.

Also re your Saurus units - I do not think theyre large enough, especially given their initiative. Say OK comes at you with 20 Iron guts and a Tyrant (ive seen this happen) - you have 20 attacks hitting on 4s and wounding on 4s. Granted thats not bad - OK loses 1, max 2 ogres and then completely removes your unit from the game with 40-50 attacks with great weapons - hit on 4s, kill on 2s. (not including the tyrant)

Granted you may not fight such a player with such a unit, but all armies have a similar potential now with the new rules - you need to capitalise on it. Units of 20 designed to take the front lines simply will not be able to take the hits in Ard Boyz.

Also you made a note about dwarven gun lines etc- I would say most armies that can will now run a good number of warmachines - eg O&Gs with 35 point spear chukkas etc

Finally - Perhaps some Salamanders? (if not why not?)

Food for thought hopefully
    --Gero--
    40k - Orks // Fantasy - Tomb kings
    (And eternal Mordheim addict)

+ Reply to Thread