Librarium Online Forums banner

2.5k vs Chaos Warriors

<3000 
738 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  sirkently 
#1 ·
Comments and tips welcome.

My opponent only plays Chaos Warriors, is fond of Hell Cannons (usually 2, sometimes 3), never uses chosen, always takes the Mark of Nurgle on CW/CK units (making them extra beastly) and is fond of Vilitch or Archaeon.

My Stegadon always dies (I've not played a game where it hasn't), it usually gets ripped to pieces by knights/warriors or has a hell cannon land square on its head although perhaps it serves its purpose in drawing attention?

Core
20 Saurus (Full Command)
20 Saurus (Full Command)
10 Skink Skirmishers
10 Skink Skirmishers

Special
5 Cold One Riders (Full Command, Gleaming Pennant)
20 Temple Guard (Full Command, Haunchi's Blessed Totem)
Stegadon
6 Kroxigors

Rare
Salamander

Heroes
L1 Skink Priest (Diadem of Power, Iron Curse Icon)
L1 Skink Priest

Lords
Slann (Uses Lore of Shadows)
3 Disciplines (Soul of Stone, Focussed Renumation, Unfathomable Presence)
BSB
Plaque of Tepok

See less See more
#2 ·
Comments and tips welcome.

My opponent only plays Chaos Warriors, is fond of Hell Cannons (usually 2, sometimes 3), never uses chosen, always takes the Mark of Nurgle on CW/CK units (making them extra beastly) and is fond of Vilitch or Archaeon.
If all your games are 2500, then he can't take 3 hell cannons.
My Stegadon always dies (I've not played a game where it hasn't), it usually gets ripped to pieces by knights/warriors or has a hell cannon land square on its head although perhaps it serves its purpose in drawing attention?
Then don't take one.

Core
20 Saurus (Full Command)
20 Saurus (Full Command)
10 Skink Skirmishers
10 Skink Skirmishers
To go against chaos warriors you really need bigger units. Get up to at least 30.

Special
5 Cold One Riders (Full Command, Gleaming Pennant)
20 Temple Guard (Full Command, Haunchi's Blessed Totem) No real need to hurry these guys into combat. Drop the banner.
Stegadon As I said earlier, drop this model.
6 Kroxigors Drop these guys as well.

Rare
SalamanderMore of these guys would be nice.

Heroes
L1 Skink Priest (Diadem of Power, Iron Curse Icon)
L1 Skink Priest
Can't see you needing these guys. The slann will use up the magic power dice. Get some combat scar-vets.

Lords
Slann (Uses Lore of Shadows)
3 Disciplines (Soul of Stone, Focussed Renumation, Unfathomable Presence)
BSB
Plaque of Tepok
Use lore of metal against these guys. Shadow isn't great here as you are stuck in the temple guard unit and can't use the lore ability. You currently have nobody to change places with anyway. I would drop the unfathomable presence for either becalming cogitation or focus of mystery. If the latter change out the plaque.
Good luck,
SirKently

#3 ·
Hey Sir Kently

Appreciate your points but most are things that have already been tried or have specific reasons not to do.

The skink priests for instance, are present for chanelling, so that the slann can cast pretty much anywhere on the board - my opponent likes to spread his forces out - without the skinks the slann can't reach when he needs too. I don't take metal because he generally only uses two armoured units - as a result of my previously taking the metal lore - knights and warriors. And he gives the warriors an extra hand weapon rather than shield. So the wounding there is 4+. The knights he often drops. He spends the points on hell cannons and beefy characters, with various ward saves.

If I don't have the banner then he more often successfully charges me - he takes the banner of swiftness. Besides, taking the lore of shadows necessitates that the first round of combat is during my turn, so that the various attribute reducing spells have effect. I feel I need shadows to tone down his combat proficiency. I'm wondering about light instead though. Gonna try shadows a few more times then light and see which I prefer.

Need unfathomable presence otherwise his hell cannons come after the slann. I suppose I could take the 2+ ward save instead though.

Kroxigors are used for pulling down hell cannons and dispatching beastier lord characters.

Having said these things, I totally agree with your points about more salamanders and bigger saurus units. And the stegadon can pay for them.

Thanks for your input!

#4 ·
The skink priests for instance, are present for chanelling, so that the slann can cast pretty much anywhere on the board - my opponent likes to spread his forces out - without the skinks the slann can't reach when he needs too.
Couple of points here. First off, having two skink priests will give you on average 2 extra power dice for the game. Assuming they survive 6 turns. Also, the lore of shadow has no magic missile spells, so there is nothing to channel through the priests. If metal doesn't work because he avoids those units, try fire. You want some damage spells.

If I don't have the banner then he more often successfully charges me - he takes the banner of swiftness. Besides, taking the lore of shadows necessitates that the first round of combat is during my turn, so that the various attribute reducing spells have effect. I feel I need shadows to tone down his combat proficiency. I'm wondering about light instead though. Gonna try shadows a few more times then light and see which I prefer.
Why do you need the charge. You aren't going anywhere if he charges as you are stubborn. Then on the second turn you can augment yourself, or do it the turn before he charges.

Need unfathomable presence otherwise his hell cannons come after the slann. I suppose I could take the 2+ ward save instead though.
Ah, I assume you mean higher state of consciousness. Unfathomable presence gives magic resistance which won't help vs hell cannons. But in a unit of temple guard, the higher state of consciousness won't do much anyway as you have to take a look out sir roll.

Kroxigors are used for pulling down hell cannons and dispatching beastier lord characters.
Rather have a scar vet on a cold one personally to take out the cannon. Kroxigors are just too vulnerable.
SirKently

#5 ·
Buggar me, I've just realised I've been cheating for months without knowing it. I'd thought any spell could be channeled through the skinks. That's theend of them in my army.

Now that I've increased the unit size to 30 I suppose I don't need to charge any more. Well spotted sir, good work.

You're right, I did mean higher state of consciousness, although I've dropped this in favour of the (cheaper) 2+ ward save. I didn't know a temple guard could use 'look out sir'. I thought the models had to be the same size?

Scar veteran on a cold one does have a nice ring to it. Don't have the model at the moment but we'll see.

Thanks again!

#6 ·
What do you think about this:

Core
30 Saurus - Full Command
30 Saurus - Full Command

Special
20 Temple Guard - Full Command, Jaguar standard (I had a spare 27 points once I'd given up the skinks, who were only a bunker for the priest).
6 Kroxigors
5 Cold One Riders - Full Command

Rare
3 Salamanders

Heroes
Scar Veteran on Cold One - Piranha Blade, Opal Amulet
(Piranha blade since Hell Cannons have 5 wounds each, Opal Amulet because he WILL try to snipe the Scar Vet)

Lords
Slann - 2 disciplines (Focus, Soul of Stone), BSB, Plaque of Tepok, Divine Plaque of Protection

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.