<1000 600pts in ongoing campign, new(ish) player - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

600pts in ongoing campign, new(ish) player

Hi all,

I'm getting back into WHFB after playing a few games a couple of years ago and there's a campaign starting up at a local hobby store that I'm going to enter in. Each army starts off with 600pts worth of troops and as you take more territory on the map (or get victory points) your army expands. I thought I'd post the list for the 600pts of Lizardmen that I'd made to see what you guys think. If you have any suggestions for army composition or how to play this list (I know this is the list section, not tactics, but it should be ok if we're talking about this specific list yeah?) they would be most welcome. I've got a section after the list on my thoughts and queries about it. So, here it is:

HERO Saurus Scar-Veteran 121
    Light Armour, Great Weapon
    Bane Head, Venom of the Firefly Frog

CORE 14 Saurus Warriors 184
    Full Command

CORE 10 Skink Skirmishers 70

SPECIAL 5 Cold-One Cavalry 225
    Full Command

Total points: 600

The fact that it works out to 600 points exactly is kind of nice. Now the justifications and questions:

I wanted to make the Scar-Vet survivable, hard-hitting and a bit of a hero killer at not too much cost. I think the magic items work well for this, targeting their general with the Bane Head for double wounds and with poisoned attacks, making it all the more likely for a wound. I originally had a shield instead of a great weapon on him, but how does the shield work exactly? Is it only for close combat or does it protect you from missiles too? And is the great weapon worth it? With the Vet's low-ish initiative it seems he'd be striking last most times anyway and the +2 strength seems like a great bonus.

The Saurus Warriors are at 14, with the Scar-Vet making up the extra model in the unit for the full three ranks. I originally had 15, but realised it'd look a bit silly with one model at the back. I reckon I'd charge the Scar-Vet out of the unit by himself if their general was alone nearby, even though this would mean it didn't have the full three ranks. Taking out their general seems more important. I think I'll lay down a challenge to them if I'm fighting a unit with their general in it. Though, can the unit champion accept instead of the hero, leaving them to hack at my saurus warriors instead?

The skinks are for harrassment of big blocks, taking out any high toughness creatures and generally hunting down anything nasty like war machines. Love the poisoned darts, its satisfying to take down giants and the like with them, though I shouldn't be seeing any of them in these inital matches.

The Cold-One Cav are my hard hitters, hopefully taking out a flank or even a unit on their own if need be. I wasn't sure about the full command, it seems like a lot of points to spend and I thought they'd do well enough without it, but the guy at the game shop seemed to think it was worth it. I don't know what I'd get with the other points if I took the full command out. It's not quite enough for another rank of Saurus unless I drop the great weapon or something, but I could give them spears and have 5 more skinks or another Cav (although I only have 5 Cav models).

So there it is! Thanks to anyone who took the time to read all this, it seems a bit long, but I wanted to explain my choices. So, please, if you have any advice/suggestions/answers etc. that would be great.

Cheers!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    HERO Saurus Scar-Veteran 121
    Light Armour, Great Weapon
    Bane Head, Venom of the Firefly Frog
    He needs to be more survivable. Drop the banehead and get the armour of fortune.

CORE 14 Saurus Warriors 184
    Full Command
    Too small. Get more, lots more.

CORE 10 Skink Skirmishers 70
    Good.

SPECIAL 5 Cold-One Cavalry 225
    Full Command
    Way to expensive at this level. Get a small unit of terradons, a salamander, and more warriors.
    Total points: 600

I wanted to make the Scar-Vet survivable, hard-hitting and a bit of a hero killer at not too much cost. I think the magic items work well for this, targeting their general with the Bane Head for double wounds and with poisoned attacks, making it all the more likely for a wound. I originally had a shield instead of a great weapon on him, but how does the shield work exactly? Is it only for close combat or does it protect you from missiles too? And is the great weapon worth it? With the Vet's low-ish initiative it seems he'd be striking last most times anyway and the +2 strength seems like a great bonus.
    Shields work against any wound caused, except those without armour saves of course.

The Saurus Warriors are at 14, with the Scar-Vet making up the extra model in the unit for the full three ranks. I originally had 15, but realised it'd look a bit silly with one model at the back. I reckon I'd charge the Scar-Vet out of the unit by himself if their general was alone nearby, even though this would mean it didn't have the full three ranks. Taking out their general seems more important. I think I'll lay down a challenge to them if I'm fighting a unit with their general in it. Though, can the unit champion accept instead of the hero, leaving them to hack at my saurus warriors instead?
    Yes, a unit champ can accept a challenge.
    Good luck,
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

+ Reply to Thread