[1000] All Skinks - Fun an' Competitive! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    222 (x7)

[1000] All Skinks - Fun an' Competitive!

I've got most of the models painted up and ready, just a few need doing and a few units coming in from DWHS soon, hopefully (been waiting more than 2 weeks already now. ).

I wanted a change of the slow paced, 'standard' Empire, so wanted something fast and nimble. I've always like Lizardmen, so an obvious choice was all Skins, and the idea of an all skirmishing army appealed to me.

I picked up my first Skinks at Salute '06 (for bargain prices) and it has all started from there. Anyhoo, here's the list I'm planning on using in the [already started - I'm entering late :oops: ] campaign at my club.

Heroes

Skink Chief - 107pts
    - Hand Weapon, Light Armour, Enchanted Shield, Stegadon Helm

Skink Priest - 125pts
    - Level 2 Wizard, Power Stone

Skink Priest - 100pts
    - Level 2 Wizard

Core Units

2 Jungle Swarms - 120pts

10 Skink Skirmishers - 60pts
    - Javelins & Shields

10 Skink Skirmishers - 60pts
    - Javelins & Shields

11 Skink Skirmishers - 77pts
    - Blowpipes, Scouts

11 Skink Skirmishers - 77pts
    - Blowpipes, Scouts

Special Units

3 Kroxigors - 178pts

3 Terradons - 105pts

Totals:
    Models = 53
    Points = 1009
    Power Dice = 6 (+ Power Stone)
    Dispel Dice = 4

Please give comments and advice!!

Cheers,

Chris.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

For starters I'll compliment you on your choice of leaders, in a skink army, leadership is pretty low and a chief with the helm is a good choice to bring them up to leadership 7. Your priest are looking pretty good to, although I would advice a scroll over a stone. magic will do the most damage to skink, especialy magic missile, since wizard can move and cast spells with no penalty, so you want a bit more protection from that.

Moving to core I would get rid of the swarms, especially since you only have 2 of them, at toughness 2 and crumble, they won't hold up a unit very long at all, and you will just give your opponent free victory points basically. Your skinks seem fine enough, not much to change there, although I would make the ones with shield scout, I would do that because it's more effective to charge a warmachine then shoot at it, so if they charge they will have a pretty good save of 5+ in combat.

your kroxigors are pretty much your only combat unit, so with some of the points gained by taking away swarms I would add another kroxigor. Your terradons are nice, great for taking out machine crews fast and march blocking faster units.

some other stuff you can take with leftover points from your swarms in a basic unit of saurus, this will add a bit more combat in your army, and help out the kroxigors a bit. Although what i really would advice doing is adding a unit of salamanders, you can drop your blowpipe regiment to 10 guys, and drop the kroxigors unit, this will give you a bit less than enough to get a unit of 3 salamanders. to get under 1000 thought I would advice takeing away the light armour and enchanted shield on your chief, and just go for a blowpipe on him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks good, but i would agree with BustaCaps, imo you need a solid block of Saurus for your army to work around so i would consider dropping the swarms for them. I like your choice of heroes, and the terradons will definately be useful for enemy war machines. Skinks are always a good idea but again as BustaCaps said i would think of dropping them all to ten men. And i can see the kroxigors playing a good role as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

222 (x7)

Okay, here's another attempt. I was hoping to keep the Swarms in there, to hold units up for Hit & Run attacks from the Terradons and other things, so should I add more (if so, how many?) or just take them out completely?

I didn't really want to add a Saurus squad, because I wanted 'All Skinks,' and I think Saurus would slow my army down a bit.

I've swapped the scouting units, and the first Priest now has a dispel scroll. Where can I drop point for Salamander(s)?

Heroes

Skink Chief - 107pts
    - Hand Weapon, Light Armour, Enchanted Shield, Stegadon Helm

Skink Priest - 125pts
    - Level 2 Wizard, Dispel Scroll

Skink Priest - 100pts
    - Level 2 Wizard

Core Units

2 Jungle Swarms - 120pts

10 Skink Skirmishers - 70pts
    - Javelins & Shields, Scouts

10 Skink Skirmishers - 70pts
    - Javelins & Shields, Scouts

11 Skink Skirmishers - 66pts
    - Blowpipes

11 Skink Skirmishers - 66pts
    - Blowpipes

Special Units

3 Kroxigors - 178pts

3 Terradons - 105pts

Totals:
    Models = 53
    Points = 1009
    Power Dice = 6
    Dispel Dice = 4 (+ Dispel Scroll)

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Pierced53
    I was hoping to keep the Swarms in there, to hold units up for Hit & Run attacks from the Terradons and other things, so should I add more (if so, how many?) or just take them out completely?
    This used to work wonders until the buggers crumbled. Now two swarms will die in one round of combat against most units

I would ditch them for a couple of salamanders, who can do wonderful things^_^

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

222 (x7)

Too bad I already ordered two Swarms. So what do I do with 'em now?

Salamanders it is, then.

*Needs to find £24*

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Too bad I already ordered two Swarms. So what do I do with 'em now?
    Heh i know the feeling. I used to advocate the use of swarms, in all armies. I used to field 6 in my 2k point lizardman army. It would raise an eyebrow on these forums but they would consistantly perform.

*sighs

Now they sit gathering dust

Ah well, now i use the extra points to run temple guard, which are a lot of fun!

Ciao

Stonehambey

is a Brother of Arterius Bleyden's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Why have swarms become rubbish? When I played they could hold up a flank for a whole game!! Have their rules changed?

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

523 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Bleyden View Post
    Why have swarms become rubbish? When I played they could hold up a flank for a whole game!! Have their rules changed?
    They now crumble like undead

Ciao

Stonehambey

is a Brother of Arterius Bleyden's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

WHAT!!!!!!!
    Thats rubbish!!!!! You might as well leave them off the table unless youve got about 10 of them!!!

Grrrrr Im annoyed now

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast