2.5K Slann led Sac Host of Tlazcotl - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

2.5K Slann led Sac Host of Tlazcotl

Generally an All-Comers list, though occasionally small bits will be tweaked if I know a foe I'm playing in a friendly and we're both allowed minor mods to core list. Tourny competative but not a streamlined list of winning fury. Some things are just there cause my friend and I like them.

The first part of this is the list, the second is the nine things I want others opinions on on this list. Feel free to answer one, all, or any combination of the questions.

2500 [2499] Sac Host of Tlazcotl list

G/L- Slann w/ 2nd Gen(*1), Plaq Dominion (*2) n Tepok, Diadem of Power, BSB, Totem of Prophecy (*3)

H- Slann lord takes this spot
    H- Sk Priest w/ L2, SpTlaz [lore of metal], Scout, Blood Statuete of Spite (*4)
    H- Scar Vet w/ SpTlaz, SpQuet, LArmor, +Sword Hornet, Ench Shield, Talis Prot+ (*5)

C- Sk Skir x12 w/ SpTlaz, Scout [blowpipes]
    C- Sk Skir x12 Sp Tlaz [blowpipes or javs]
    C- Saur War x12 SpTlaz, champ/stand (*6)

S- Saur War x20 w/ Sp Tlaz, Sp Quet, Stand/Champ [6 per rank]
    S- Saur Cav x5 w/ Stand/Music, Warbanner
    S- Krox x3 (*7 and
    S- Terradons x5 w/ Brave (*

R- Stegadon (*9)
    R- Slann lord takes this spot

The idea is the Slann goes with the S choice Saur War, which are flanked by the smaller war unit and the non-scouting skinks and their kroxigor team
    The stegadon is in that too but kept where he won't LOS block the Slann
    The Saur CAv and Terradons are flanks rollers {the Saur particularly} and backline hunters {the Terry specifically} though the Terrys also have the duty of getting behind things being hit by my fear causing Kroxs, Saur Cav, and especuially that US25 nastyness with the Slann+War+ToP so that runners get wiped.
    The scouting skinks of course contain the Sk Priest doubling as the eyes of the Slann so any magic missiles or other spells I get can start raining on the foe while my blocks are advancing.

Now I'm not looking for generic critiques here because everyone has an opinion and those can end up going in directions entirely differant then my tactics are comfortable with... however I am wanting some specific opinions on the things marked with (*#)'s in the list...

So without furhter adu, my questions here for others to chime in on.

1= 2nd Gen or 4th Gen Slann? I wanted magic heavy, but a case can be made for going 4th gen, taking another probably mounted Scar Vet, putting in another R (DoW cannon or Lcav likely), losing the PlqTepok, and giving the army a more mundane bent. In the end I felt what I lost was less then what I gained by going to 2nd Gen but I'm open to opinions otherwise.

2= Which 50 pt Plaque default? In friendlys this can be exchanged for whichever 50pt Plaq I think is useful, but for Tourneys/All comers what's the best default Plaq? I'm torn between 2 better ward save vs Warmachines/Ranged and the +1 to each dice type for more madness in the magic phase.

3= Fear to the big unit vs shooty protection and US on the Saur Cav. Sun Standard of Chotec is another option for the BSB Slann, which would allow me the exact amount of points to up the Saur Cav unit by 1 model thus upping it's US for fear forced breaks by 2

4= Which magic items on my Sk Priest? Rod of Storms can go here. Lose a Skink from one of the units, 6-7 ex points pays for the 5 more. However in general the BSoS seemed better. I got plenty of magic missiles from my Slann so the Rod seemed excessive but an item which 50% of the time will 1/2 the wounds on a T3 hero, and 25% of the time kill them, for just 30 points? Worth the chance in 2.5K. Still... I guess I'm saying I am open to others opinions on what gear my Skink Priest takes. Note that I do NOT need anti magic... my god I'm already looking at 2+2+1+1 AND then +1 on my dispel rolls AND then Diadem in a pinch AND dropping the Drain Magic spell. So dispel scrolls/cubes/etc recommendations while you can argue for them like the JSoD below I've already weighed them in as possabilities and decided against.

5= What magic items for the Scar Vet? Same as above, I am open to what gear the Scar Vet takes. I'm building him as a challenge winner, character killer. Swd Hornet + light ward save + heavy armor save is how I did that... BUT a case could be made for a heavier ward save (aura quetz/glyph neck), the sword of might for added wounds and anti armor, and a normal shield. And cases could be made for other combo's. I'm open minded. Right now he's deployed in either the unit w/ the Slann or he's in the smaller Saur War unit depending on how I feel each battle.
    I do not generally practice the JSoD tactic, as I feel it's risks outweight it's benefits in this army as other things can do what I would have it do. So please don't recommend that. I agree it's a good way to play, but overkill in this army and I've already discounted it.

6= Friendlies I can rotate this but for all-comers lists... can't decide if I should go with the Standard or 1 more Warrior. STandard is +1 combat rez but the unit is small enough if it can be singled out and defeated foe can get the 100 VP points. Risk vs. Reward debate. Bonus of Standard vs chance it could be taken. (w/ friendlies it will all depend on if the Scar Vet is in the unit... if he is, Standard stays, if he isn't, Standard goes for +1 warrior to one of the two units).

7= Krox's. Should I even take them? Not taking them would mean both skink units can scout it up, and I could bulk up the Saur Cav so it autobreaks more foes with it's US. It would still leave me with the Stegadon and Saur Cav for a fast punch, and as one side of a flank guard to the Slanns unit. However Krox's eat Chariots and high T/good armor save foes for breakfast in a way no one else does.

8= Krox's AND Terradons. Same question as above but with both, lose or keep?. I could lose the Kroxs as above, and then also either lose the Terradons or drop them to MSU and make them only backline hunters not fleeing unit destroyers. That would free up a TON of points to both bulk up both Saur War units, and to up the Saur Cav or add a 2nd Saur Cav unit one for each side of my army line.

9= Stegadon. I'm open to any and all opinions on this. He's a pricy model but between the bolt thrower, the Terror causing flank protection, the ability to hit with the Saur Sav, well I like him. BUT if I got rid of him I could easily fit in either of the DoW units mentioned in losing the slann... L.Cav or Cannon... and still have a ton of points to spare (something like 125+) to spend in bulking up the rest of my armor. Should I take the Stegadon? Or wasted points in this army better spent elsewhere?

Unless someone here chimes in and gives me a good reason otherwise...
    My current feeling is 1-5 and 7-8 will be left as is
    6 I will probably lose the standard unless I decide to make the Scar Vet go in that unit as default
    9 I'm riding the fence on

But that's it. Fire away. At this point this list doesn't need anymore of my overanalysis of those questions... it needs some outside opinions to tweak it. And that's where hopefully some of you all come in.

Last edited by BFGMidwesternPrisoner; June 19th, 2007 at 20:10. Reason: did this piece by piece to not be timed out by LO. and still was. twice.
    -
    Making Sisters of Battle into Women of Battle
    -
    Give a Rep Star if you like what someone said. Especially Me. I'm an unabashed Star whore. Blame my 2nd grade teacher and those stupid good behavior stickers. I'm just conditioned. I'm the Pavlov's Dog of stars.
    -
    You win with VP, NOT with kills
    -

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

Theoretical help, hopefully

Since you have been a big help to me I will try and return the favor. This advice is all theoretical since I have not actually played the game yet. But it is based on, I think, a pretty good grasp of the rules and alot of thought recently.

1) I would keep the 2nd Gen. I just couldn't quite justify the cost in my 2000pt. army but I would definitely go with it in 2500.

2) My knee-jerk reaction is to protect that huge point invesment with everything I have so my first thought is the protection plaque. After really looking at it however, a real case can be made for the dominion plaque. With dominion the mage has base+2 wounds, a 50% save, and some dice to play around with in the magic phase. With protection you gain the better save but lose the magic power. I think if you focused on high powered missle weapons/mages with your other units(Terradons, scouts, etc..) the Slann would be safe enough. Even if he targets you with everything he has he still has to do roughly 16 wounds to the Slann to kill it. So, after consideration I would vote for the dominion plaque. If for some reason you find your Slann getting killed then you can always switch it for the protection. Actually I think I will go and change my list now as well:yes:

3) I would keep this as is. Since the cavalry itself has fear you are really only worried about terror. I think that is best avoided and take on terror units with something else.

4) I would say for this one that the Rod will be more useful in more situations. You can always find someone to blast with magic missles. Finding the appropriate target for the statue could be more difficult. Even with a good target it is only going to do something 1/2 the time anyway. I think the rod would be a better choice in all-comers.

5)no ideas here, sorry.

6) I think for a tourney list I would go with the extra warrior. People are going to be looking for places to nab some easy VP's.

7& Answered in #9.

9) I would dump the steggie to boost the cavlary and still have enough for that DoW thingy that you want. That way you can keep the variety of the cavalry, krox, and Terries.

Hope this helped you. I look forward to seeing what some of the other experts have to say and how my advice stacks up. Good luck with the list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

NcNid,

1-3= thanks for the support, makes me more confident in my choices

4= I still want to keep that statuete... I think you are right about the Rod being more generically useful, I just can't get over "I pay 30 or so points, and a 100+ point human, elven, foe lizardmen, or goblin caster DIES".
    Even if it's just 1/4 the time, in maybe 1/2 my 4-8 games in a tourney. I actually agree with your point... I just like the gamble.

6= I am definetly 100% losing that Standard unless the Scar Vet joins and will be with it the whole game (I think he'd make the unit tough enough it's not "easy" VP).

7-9= I think Steggy is going away. A DoW Cannon [and i had no other use for hills on my side anyway, now they'll have one] would be better then his BT anyway, and with the 150pt diff I could really shore up other units. Plus the Steggy is a really easy way for a gunline list to nab easy VP early on. {it did help draw fire from my other units, but 235 points is alot to give away on turn 1 or 2!}.

Thanks for returning the favor
    -
    -
    Give a Rep Star if you like what someone said. Especially Me. I'm an unabashed Star whore. Blame my 2nd grade teacher and those stupid good behavior stickers. I'm just conditioned. I'm the Pavlov's Dog of stars.
    -
    -

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

I never leave home without my 3 salamanders. How about them instead of the steg?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Stonehambey View Post
    I never leave home without my 3 salamanders. How about them instead of the steg?
    I almost never use Sallys... though I have two more lists I was going to put up (I just didn't want to flood the page with all my lists, I thought I'd space em a day or two apart) and one of them does make use of a pair of Sallys and I've been considering sneaking them into my KroqGar list as well. Not this one though, don't think they fit well into this.

Truthfully while I respect their insane number of hits I see
    S3
    only -1 armor save
    only 15 inch range

And I see something I could do almost the exact same damage of from a Halfling Hot Pot over the course of the game, AND pay about 80 pts less (which I then use to buy other things to fill in the Sallys other roll, they can flank charge and bite at S5 in a pinch). AND essentially they're only doing what the Slann can already do, and better, and making the points for them means losing power in my units that can take on T4, 4+ or better save troops. {which is why I wouldn't take them or a halfling HP... Slann already does what I'd need that for}.

To me Sallys work best in a list that is strong on hitting power but weak on numbers... they excell in lists like Cav heavy ones where enemies with large numbers of unbreakable troops like undead or just large numbers of troops period can just soak up what you hit with and ignore autobreak on fear due to their numbers.
    Sallys shine there because they can keep up with the fast troops, then quickly weaken an enemies numbers. REALLY quickly weaken enemy numbers. Plus when they flank charge in that situation, they add their fear casuing US to the US of the fear causing Saur Cav to help autobreak.

With a Slann in the list though, what their main role is is already pretty much taken care of. Even between the two, with a Slann in the list a Steggy helps draw fire away from him as well, and helps charge better which he can't do, so I prefer Steggys with Slanns over Sallys with Slanns... though in this case neither is as effective as what else I could take.
    -
    -
    -
    -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

Updated

K here is how the list looks now...

2500 {2499} ScHostTlaz Lmen Slannled

G/L- Slann MP w/ 2nd Gen, Plaq. Of Dominion (*1), Plaq. Of Tepok, Diadem of Power, BSB, Totem of Prophecy (*2)
    H- taken by Slann
    H- Sk Priest [wizard] w/ L2, SpTlaz [Lore of Metal], Scout, BaneHead (*3), Rod of the Storm
    H- Scar Vet w/ SpTlaz, SpQuet, Larmor, Sword of the Hornet, Enchanted Shield, Talis of Protect

Generally Slann goes w/ Saur War x21, Scar Vet w/ Saur War x15, Sk Pr w/ Sk Scouts

C- Sk Skir x11 w/ SpTlaz, Scout
    C- Sk Skir x10 w/ SpTlaz
    C- Saur War x15 w/ SpTlaz. Spears, Stand

S- Saur War x21 w/ Sp Tlaz, Sp Quet, Stand, Champ
    S- Saur Cav x6 w/ Stand, Music, Warbanner
    S- Kroxigor x4
    S- Terradons x5

R- taken by Slann
    R- DoW: Light Cav x5 w/ Spears, Shields, Musician (*4)

1 can be traded out for a diff plaque of exact same point cost if desired
    2 can be traded out for the SunStandardofChotec and +1 Saur Cav if desired, same points
    3 can be traded out for dragonfly of quicksilver if desired (though Banehead + Lore of Metal default spell... think about it), same points
    4 can be interchanged with a DoW: Cannon at exact same point cost.

EDIT #3, 6/21/07: Last question answered... I am now happy with how this hashed out, though I will still listen to any questions or comments of course (what can I say, to me even perfection can always be made better!)
    Last edited by BFGMidwesternPrisoner; June 22nd, 2007 at 04:36. Reason: It was the will of the Old Ones.
    -
    -
    -
    -

+ Reply to Thread