2.5 Southlands list, hypothetical, not one of the three - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

2.5 Southlands list, hypothetical, not one of the three

I know I promised all 3 of my main, updated for 7th Ed, Lmen lists so others could comment/critique me as I did them.

My grunt based list will have to wait. This one is going up first, and is just for fun.

I had some free time today while on the phone waiting to make a dentist appointment, and so I finished a brain child of mine for review that I've pish poshed on and off for about 2 months on.

A list I'm lacking some of the models for... so unlike my others it clearly hasn't been played!... yet I thought was kind of fun to mess with.

A big Southlands list.

So at my usual 2.5K favorite value here we go...

Southlands 2499

Slann with 4th Gen, a BSB, the Totem of Prophecy, a Plaq. Of Dominion, the Diadem of Power, and the Bane Head

Sk. Priest L2, Scout, Rod of the Storm

Sk. Priest L2, Blood Statuette of Spite

Sk Chief w/ SpItzl, Horned One, L. Armor, Ench. Shield, Glyph Necklace, Spear, Javelin

Generally Slann w/ Saur War, Priests w/ Sbows, Chief w/ HO riders

Sk Skir x12 w/ Scout, S.Bows
    Sk Skir x14 w/ Scout, Jav/Shield
    Sk Skir x11 w/ BP
    Sk Skir x11 w/ Sbows

Horned One Riders x9 w/ FullCom
    Krox x4
    Terradons x5
    Saur War x21 w/ Full Com

DoW: Cannon... but use skinks as crew (DoW crew stats, just cute visiually to watch a skink load a cannonball)
    Sally packs x3

The list would be played pretty much like madness. Aside from the Warriors with the Slann, and one Skink unit and the Krox behind it, and the Cannon... everything else is running around causing mayhem. Only the old ones and my whim that turn would know what it would be up to. (aside from obviously supporting those immobile units by using the scuicide skinks... i mean javelin skinks... to tie up thinks i need tied up till my army gets into position and the like with the rest of the army)

Feel free to chime in on this one folks. This one was made for fun, and something I'd plink on as I got spare cash (to get the 7 more Horned One models I'd need, and model the cannon skink crew). It could probably use some fine tuning.

-
    Making Sisters of Battle into Women of Battle
    -
    Give a Rep Star if you like what someone said. Especially Me. I'm an unabashed Star whore. Blame my 2nd grade teacher and those stupid good behavior stickers. I'm just conditioned. I'm the Pavlov's Dog of stars.
    -
    You win with VP, NOT with kills
    -

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

A cannon...???

A skink operated cannon...???

Well whatever floats your boat.

Ok first off, a legality. You cannot field a unit of Saurus Warriors in a Southlands if you do not have a Scar-Vet. But since you have a Slann these can be Temple Guard instead but these will take up a rare slot.

I'm not a massive fan of Horned One Riders but they are a unique unit so take them but don't put the Skink Chief he belongs elsewhere, more on that later. The HOR are expensive, frail and they are mediocre in combat even on the charge. In a light cavalry role terradons are better. But since we are going to take them give them the blessed spawning of Huanchi, this is legal as it states in the army list that, unless stated all units follow the same rules as their Lustrian counterparts.

The Skink Chief belongs on a Stegadon. Give him a Sword of Might, Spawning of Sotec and extra a hand weapon. On the charge the Steg and Chief strike with 9 strength 5 attacks with the impact hit on top of that. If madness is in the books then their is nothing better than a terror causer...

Good to see another Southlands list, poisoned shortbows RULE!!

Cheers

Origin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Origin View Post
    A cannon...???

A skink operated cannon...???
    Damn Skippy!

Ok first off, a legality. You cannot field a unit of Saurus Warriors in a Southlands if you do not have a Scar-Vet. But since you have a Slann these can be Temple Guard instead but these will take up a rare slot.
    Ew crap... good call. The list had started 2 months ago with a Scar Vet head, and I switched the Slann in later and didn't catch that. Hmm. Skink Cohort should work fine, in fact I can get an insane number them for the fear causing US. Save points for elsewhere too.
    OR
    Maybe I'll put Scar Vet back and just drop the magic out, and focus on more skinks.

Will have to see what I own and which play around costs any or more additional models to buy. For now probably just use a Skink Cohort, or drop the Cannon and go with the Temple Guard.

I'm not a massive fan of Horned One Riders but they are a unique unit so take them but don't put the Skink Chief he belongs elsewhere, more on that later. The HOR are expensive, frail and they are mediocre in combat even on the charge. In a light cavalry role terradons are better. But since we are going to take them give them the blessed spawning of Huanchi, this is legal as it states in the army list that, unless stated all units follow the same rules as their Lustrian counterparts.
    I was aware they could take it, and they started with that spawning till I wanted to put the Chief in them. With fear meaning autobreak on even a 1 CR win though, and already being manuverable with their speed and fast cav status, I felt the Huanchi was overkill and their CR might be underpowered with no character in them.

So you speak like you use a SLand list... do you not use HO's at all then? Do you just go all Terradon? You really sound against them and that gets my attention. I don't have a whole lot of experiance using them at this value, and if you've had bad experiances I'm not against stripping them out completely if you can give me some concrete examples for it (and trust me, not needing to buy 7 more of them is already a reason to begin with)

The Skink Chief belongs on a Stegadon. Give him a Sword of Might, Spawning of Sotec and extra a hand weapon. On the charge the Steg and Chief strike with 9 strength 5 attacks with the impact hit on top of that. If madness is in the books then their is nothing better than a terror causer...
    My concern with Steggy is always keeping him alive till the charge. I swear he eats cannonballs like a fat man at old country buffet eats fried chicken.

Good to see another Southlands list, poisoned shortbows RULE!!

Cheers

Origin
    Yes they do!!! My fun with a smaller value list previously, and that being no small part of it, is what's pushing me to attempt them at a bigger value. Cost permitting.

Gonna look into what I'll do about that Saur War mistake. Any suggestions, if I go skink cohort, with where to put those extra points?
    -
    -
    Give a Rep Star if you like what someone said. Especially Me. I'm an unabashed Star whore. Blame my 2nd grade teacher and those stupid good behavior stickers. I'm just conditioned. I'm the Pavlov's Dog of stars.
    -
    -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by BFGMidwesternPrisoner View Post

So you speak like you use a SLand list... do you not use HO's at all then? Do you just go all Terradon? You really sound against them and that gets my attention. I don't have a whole lot of experiance using them at this value, and if you've had bad experiances I'm not against stripping them out completely if you can give me some concrete examples for it (and trust me, not needing to buy 7 more of them is already a reason to begin with)

Ok, the Pro's and Con's as i see them.

They are fast, they cause fear, multiple strength 4 attacks, mid-range cost for fast cavalry, access to spawnings.

Low weapon skill, very low toughness, spawnings increase cost dramatically, limited tactical options that overlap with preexisting unit choices.

If you want a unit that is fast, cheap (110ish points for 5 w/ muso), that can hold the back of the battle line cleaning away skirmishers, scouts, tunnlers etc then HOR are great. But to act in a traditional fast cav role of screaming up the flank, march blocking, war machine hunting, supportive flank charges then Terradons, scouting skinks, or chameleon skinks are far better choices.

Terradons are the main competitor, with a faster move, higher wound count, greater toughness and attacks, javelins, and the hit and run special rule HOR are left in the dust.

My concern with Steggy is always keeping him alive till the charge. I swear he eats cannonballs like a fat man at old country buffet eats fried chicken.
    True he is a war machine magnet. Consider that a character on a steg with a ward save can increase the beasts survival. It is a marginal increase but an increase all the same. I'm a big fan of redundancy, i use two . Stegs that is.

Gonna look into what I'll do about that Saur War mistake. Any suggestions, if I go skink cohort, with where to put those extra points?
    Skink Cohorts are fun and very much worth using but i still use them in a classic skill role, harassment, missile fire, and charge redirection. With a shield a skink is still 7 points, thats more than an Empire Swordsmen. They are not cost effective as a ranked unit, I think that as Lizardmen players we just look at them and scream "Wow there cheap! their not ** points each." in reality Saurus Warriors are cheap for ** points a pop. My advice is two have units of 12 with javelins and musician and use them for flee and redirection duty, open flanks for a little old Steg.

In regards to the Lord choice, i would take the Scar-Vet. However don't have him as the army general, give him the Battle Standard and put him a unit of 25-30 Saurus. A good soild anchor for all the other fast and flimsy unit options.

Well hope that helps

Cheers

Origin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

I'm trying to go in a differant direction so I'm considering going with 5 skink chiefs for my army (2 from the Lord option).

Still in the works though. I'm throwing expense out the window and just trying for something differant. Almost done, just double checking points at some point today before I post.
    -
    -
    -
    -

+ Reply to Thread