Vs Bretonian Tactics? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vs Bretonian Tactics?

Hi everyone,

I know this has some-what been tackled a while ago. I read some old posts vs Bretonnians, such as when Stoneshabey went up against them but although the advice was ok I would really like some more feedback now, a year later :w00t: on how to defeat a bretonian army, namely, the general as i have recently read their book and it is evident they have some nasty underpriced stuff to equip characters with.

Everyone says that I must MUST prevent the charge and get my own off, understandable. How would I effectively go about this though?

What is the most effective oldblood/scarvet or even army combination you have used against a bretonnian and how did you pull it off?

What is your favourite bretonian killing unit? Why?

Feedback appreciated,

Panda

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

Aight lets take a look,

Quote Originally Posted by Panda View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Hi.

I know this has some-what been tackled a while ago. I read some old posts vs Bretonnians, such as when Stoneshabey went up against them but although the advice was ok I would really like some more feedback now, a year later :w00t: on how to defeat a bretonian army, namely, the general as i have recently read their book and it is evident they have some nasty underpriced stuff to equip characters with.
    Aight Brets were my first army (I've never played a Bret vs. Lizards game from either side though) so I'll try to offer some advice. Concerning the general (at 2000 points it will be a Bretonnian Lord about 99% of the time), yes he's good, but not as good as our characters. By no means is he anywhere near unbeatable. But I'll touch on this more later.

Everyone says that I must MUST prevent the charge and get my own off, understandable. How would I effectively go about this though?
    All right, first off just to be clear, you WILL NOT prevent the charge. A Bretonnian army is too fast and has too large a charge range. You will get charged, accept this now and be ready when it happens.

What is the most effective oldblood/scarvet or even army combination you have used against a bretonnian and how did you pull it off?
    I would suggest getting anything you can to punch through the heavy Bretonnian armor. Great Weapons work well here, as do magic weapons that ignore armor saves. Also if the Bretonnian player prays at the start of the game (which he should) he will have a 5+ ward save vs. all your combat characters.

What is your favourite bretonian killing unit? Why?
    I can see Kroxigor as being very effective. Use a group of skinks as a screen and once the skinks get charged, counter charge with the Kroxigor. Their S7 attacks will open a hole in the Bret heavy armor.

Feedback appreciated,

Panda
    A few general tips:

-Use any non scouting skinks as screens for your CC units. Let the skinks accept the charge and then counter with the Saurus, Saurus Cav, Krox.

-Even if you do get charged, don't panic! Brets rely on BREAKING people on the charge. Aside from undead, Lizards are one of the least breakable armies in the game thanks to Coldblooded.

-Most Bret armies will be light on magic offense and average on magic defense. Expect 2 level 1 wizards on horseback inside the knight units. They are there for the MR 1 and as scroll caddies. 4 DD and 4 scrolls is common for a Bretonnia army.

-After the first round of a combat where they charged, Bretonnian Knights are quite ordinary in CC. Let them have it!

Hope this helps some.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spector View Post
    Aight Brets were my first army (I've never played a Bret vs. Lizards game from either side though) so I'll try to offer some advice. Concerning the general (at 2000 points it will be a Bretonnian Lord about 99% of the time), yes he's good, but not as good as our characters. By no means is he anywhere near unbeatable. But I'll touch on this more later.
    Thank you for your advice, it was useful. I am keen on knowing how you would combat a bret general. It's good that it was your first army =).

Also
    Quote Originally Posted by Spector View Post
    -Use any non scouting skinks as screens for your CC units. Let the skinks accept the charge and then counter with the Saurus, Saurus Cav, Krox.

Will the skinks not break badly and then overun? I'm guessing it's not wise to flee with the skinks as chances are I will be run down or redirected. Are jungle swarms any good for absorbing a bret charge? at that points sink are they worth it though...

Cheers,

Panda

Why can't a garden be beautiful without fairies down the well?

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Jungle swarms used to be awesome against any army. I don't care that they cost me 300 points, I'd always take them and they would always do me proud. Now they crumble like undead and they simply aren't worth their points anymore. They will last only a round of combat against a charging bret unit. I would avoid them.

20 saurus with BSB nearby can hold against most things, even bret cavalry (save grail knights) so it's not the end of the world if they end up taking a charge. Because of lance formation thought the brets can get a couple of units in against the front of a saurus unit, then it could mean trouble for you >.<

How about a Slann using (mainly) the lore of metal (lots of high armour saves for the rule of burning iron and the spirit of the forge to melt) with the BSB (naturally). This gives you a good selection of spells to use against the brets and also grants your saurus ld 9 (so long as they stay tight) and a re-roll on break tests. The bane head as well could be used to good effect in combination with the rule of burning iron. The brets have to take a BSB and that's some tasty victory points you could single out with the RoBI and let the bane head do the rest!:w00t:

Kroxigor are great but don't charge them into silly combats, they still need support.

How about a JSoD with a great weapon? He has the edge over the brets in terms of speed and can cut them up good and proper. Keep him in a unit of saurus then let him loose when anything gets too close (preferably a small unit of grail knights) Ok he may die but he can be used as a throw away character to used to severly dent the combat prowess of a potential charger.

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

Also for Rare choices, take a Stegadon over Sallies. The Sallies just won't hit hard enough to make a difference on Knights, but the Stegadon's bolt thrower will work wonders against them.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

I once had a giant bow shot go right through a unit of grail knights - nice(Y)

I still think sallies have their uses, their sheer number of hits means a lot of chances to wound on a four. A 3+ save is no cert either. As bretonnian knights are typically small model wise you only need to cause a few casualties to ensue a panic test or significantly weaken the combat prowess of said unit.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that both have their uses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortuneatly I have no Stegadon at present. My mate may trade a carnasaur he accidentally bought me for it though. Either that or more cavalry (I love them so ). It looks like a nice model to have on the table though, so I might be tempted.

I think Stoneshambey is right in saying both have their uses, and I think both would be effective against the knights, although because of their huge charge range it might be an idea to use the stegadon for a counter charge when shooting isn't a viable option any more. In my opinion though I think a squad of sallies will generally kill more shooting wise than the bow. I will hopefully play test this saturday and see how I fare. Iv'e been itching for a good game lately, and all I seem to vs are blasted stumpies<_<.

Cheers,

Panda
    Why can't a garden be beautiful without fairies down the well?

+ Reply to Thread