How to paint lizardmen??? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to paint lizardmen???

Hey all, i am going to start a lizardmen army and was wondering if anyone might help me choose a colour scheme as i am a bit lost in how to do it.

All input is very much appreciated!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fluff-wise lizardmen range from every shade of blue you can make.

However, you are by no means obligated to follow the fluff. Go out on google and look at "lizard" under the image tab. Then find a picture you really like. Generally they will be green, brown, and tan, but you will run into some that are blue.

If "lizard" does not turn up results that you like you can also try "snakes", "crocodiles", "alligators", "salamanders", "skinks", etc.

This should help you find the motivation that you're looking for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

I think BluPlague has the right idea.

Cruise the net for pictures of actual lizards, other painted lizardmen armies, GW sites etc for inspiration.

Ultimately though it has to be a colour scheme that YOU like.

Here is a link to the OZ GW sites interactive saurus painter where you can test your colour schemes.

Painting Lizards

Hope it helps,

Regards
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares, your a mile away and you have his shoes!!

Chuck Norris invented water

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just painted my saurus and they turned ou treally well in my opinion. I'm no tthe greatest painter but lizardmen are fairly easy to paint (aside from their blasted teeth being nearly completely covered by their blasted weapons that have blasted tiny tiny tiny little spikes sticking out the sides...)

First I primered them black (actually dark dark dark dark grey, but it has the same effect)

Anyway for the bodies I did a base coat of the dark dark green basecoat paint from GW, you can also you snot green as they look exactly the same. Then I did a dry brush of scorpion green, then an ink wash with dark green ink.

For the spikes I did a base of codex grey followed by a pretty thick coat of bleached bone. Same for the teath, claws, and spiked on the weapon

For the borders of the weapons I used Bubonic Brown, it looks kinda like a rust when it's initially painted but once it dries it is a really cool wood color.

Then I used the codex grey to the inner part of the weapons. I basically wanted the weapons to look like they were made out of the copyrighted lizardmen stone material with a border of wood that has bone spikes sticking out of it.

I'd post a picture of one but I am too lazy to upload to photobucket or whatever...

My question is, with a green scheme like mine what shields are popular? I'll google as that's a great idea but I'm curuious what you libries have done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I painted my lizzies blue, light for the skin and dark for the scales. Then I went over the scales with space wolves gray and painted all the bones going down the spine bleached bone. The shields are painted with 3-4 different coats of green that give them a jungle look.

All in all, though I've never actually seen a blue lizard in real life, I figured blue was a good color for a couple of different reasons. I liked the fluff and it kind of looks nice on the model. More importantly, however, I started a orc army at the same time as my lizzies, so paint them green would have driven me mad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use Scaly Green mixed with Skull White for the skin and Ultramarines Blue for the scales.
    The Rep Thumb is to the left of my post, in case you didn't see it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

I personally think they look really good with mainly dark red with yellow in the bellyish bits. Probably just like those colors though, but I think its primarily when I'm thinking Lizardmen.

Tekore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find that the best colors for lizys is blue,green,purple,dark red. Not to mention i prefer more of a blend with the shades of the colors.dont like to much diferent colors of the same tone
    1:find what makes him tick
    2:stop the ticking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have gone for the simple but effective technique of dipping my Lizardmen, mainly due to my poor skill and shaky hand combined with the satisfactory results it produces!

My skinks are all yellow with either red or green scales and crests on their backs and my saurus are green underneath with red scales. Ive used a quite dark wood varnish so the result is ok for tabletop gaming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

My lizards are going to have a graduated color scheme. The skinks are Scorpion green with Hawk Turquoise scales. The the Lizardmen will be Hawk Turquoise bodies with a darker blue scales. The Kroxigors will be dark blue bodies with purple scales. The Terradons are going to be green and I'm not sure about the Cold Ones yet, maybe a purple/purple or a purple/black. Salamanders are red/orange. Not sure yet about the Slann either. I was thinking of doing him like a poison arrow frog with black/blue, black/yellow, or black/bright green.