Lizardmen Tactics Vs Other Races - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Lizardmen Tactics Vs Other Races

Lizardmen Tomb Of Tactics

Hey there, I was hoping that we could collect our Various knowledge from both playing with and against the other races in Warhammer Fantasy Battle and try and get a bit of a tomb of knowledge going about how to defeat another race using general tactics and exploiting an enemies weakness using our strengths.

So here's a list of the races. Please pick one (or more) and write down any knowledge you have of beating them in the name of the Old Ones!

------------------------------------------------

Beasts Of Chaos
    Brettonians
    Dwarves
    Chaos Dwarves
    Dark Elves
    Empire
    High Elves
    Hordes Of Chaos
    Tomb Kings
    Ogre Kingdoms
    Orcs & Goblins
    Skaven
    Vampire Counts

-------------------------------------------------

Here's your chance to be heard! Share your knowledge with everyone!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think u forgot dwarves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great idea, although being the noob I am I won't be contributing for a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love this idea, once I'm experienced I will add a tactica. Soon, but not for many months.
    Turtles For the Turtle God!
    Shells For the Shell Throne!

Junior Member Battle-Brother Llama's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My contribution

Tho' I haven't upgraded from noob status, I have played a few games against different opponents, so I can add a bit of knowledge from my part

Anything undead (Vampires, Tomb Kings)
    Cut off the head and the body will die quickly. A JSOD (Jungle Saurus of Death) can kill Liche priests, Necromancers and the like with ease, and once they're out of the way, the army will crumble. All you need to do is set up the charge so the JSOD remains in base to base contact ONLY with the model in question. This is fairly important, as if the mouldy magician in question is in a unit, getting in B to B contact with another member of the unit means the Scar Vet will get whacked before he has a chance to hit the mage. Remeber that he'll strike last, but as a rule, magicians are weak in hand to hand. When he hits, however, it'll make a mess. Giving him Venom of the Firefly frog and the Cursed head item is even more insurance that he'll get the job done. The golden rule is DON'T CHALLENGE!!! Chellenging the 'target' gives your opponent a chance to decline, and it's most likley you'll only get one shot at taking out the big bad boss.

Horde armies (Skaven, Goblin only, Gnoblar only...)
    Pretty much the same, a JSOD heading straight for the general of the opposing army and killing him ASAP. Without him, your opponent is deprived of his valuable leadership, and with 'horde' units having horrible leadership, soon they'll be deserting en masse.

Dwarves (shudders)
    These guys are masters of defense, and can maul you from afar, and can be close combat monsters too. The only tatic I found to be effective is scouting skinks with blowpipes and terradons to tie up the artillery crews. They're the weakest link with the guns, so hit them hard. Or shoot them, if you have the blowpipes. As for their Lords and Heros, keep chipping away at them with magic (if any spells get through) and shooting poisoned attack. Sooner or later a shot'll get through...

Well, thats my bit, but if any vets are out there, correct me please! I am still new!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Against Dwarfs (and other heavily armoured opponents such as brest or chaos)

I use a 2nd gen slann and roll on metal/shadow lores hoping to get pit of shades and/or spirit of the forge as one of my 5 random spells. Always take diadem of power vs dwarves, its 2 extra power dice for your Slann which means you can drain their dispel dice whilst leaving 2-3 aside ready for pit or spirit. The entire lore of metal is very good against dwarfs and shadows also has some of the best spells.

I always take Steed of Shadows on my Slann and use that spell combined with the Jaguar Saurus of Doom to first or secound turn charge dangerous war machines such as organ guns or stone throwers (D6 wounds!). Rule of burning Iron and Bane head works extremely well vs a lord on shield bearers, suddenly his 1+ rerollable save is not so good afterall and he will take double wounds. Two turns of that and the dwarf lord will have his face melted, or your dwarf player will want to deny you that spell wasting his valuable dispel dice.

Always take plaque of protection on your slann vs dwarfs. Dominion is not worth the cost for only 1 more effective power dice of use and if your dwarf opponent is wise, he will know your Slann is worth a good 700-1000 VP depend on its set-up.

Salamanders are great for destroying units of dwarf quarrellers or thunderers. Advance them up in cover and laugh as the dwarfs stuggle to hit but you can spit from afar.

I find kroxigors useless against dwarfs unless used very carefully as they just cant win straight up fights. Opt for something like chameleon skinks or terradons rather than krox.

Saurus cavalray are also on my list of things not to take vs dwarfs, their rubbish armour save is even worse vs dwarf shooting who will wound on 4s and reduce your armour save by 1 or 2. Dont even mention to me what an organ gun does to saurus cavalry.

Skink skirmish screen is an almost must, even if its just one long line of 10-15 to take the hits and act as bait.

Thats all I can think of for now when facing Dwarfs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On Skaven:

Skaven are troublesome, because it's hard to use fairly common Lizardmen tactics against them. Take everyone's favourite JSoD- to snipe skaven heroes, you need to maneuver in to a rear charging position because of Lead From the Back, and that is hard to position yourself for against skaven (even on an open battlefield, it would probably not be until the 3rd turn that you can get a rear charge off, depending on table size). For starters, a skaven player in a 2000 point game can conceivably buy more points worth in units than he has space for in his deployment zone- walling off an important unit with these numbers is supremely easy. Second, is the fact that most skaven use charge-baiting tar pit tactics to force opponents to either deal with a horde of weenies, or get flank charged by them trying to maneuver around, and once you're past the front line, Life is Cheap and a unit of Jezzails can be a real pain.

To combat this, skaven are best played against reactively (in my opinion, at least). Put friendlies between your units and their clan Skryre shooties to block line of sight. Make them come to you by railing clanrats with salamanders, keep your skinks on the front lines, and close by. Globadiers are the single most deadly unit to slow heavy hitting units that you can field. They kill skinks just as easily as they kill saurus (and iron breakers, for that matter), so if you must sacrifice units, make it your cheap ones, and use the globe's short range to peg them off with salamanders in preference of other targets (skaven skirmishers break very easily). Whittle down the big units at the start to knock off as many rank bonuses as you can, and then watch in glee as they all run off the table after a single unit breaks in combat.

Warp lightning cannons should either be delt with by terradons, or else make sure that you keep important skaven units between the cannon and your important guys.
    Last edited by Bedlam; November 23rd, 2007 at 20:15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer a small elite force against. I take a 2nd gen slann and a big block of 20 temple guard and make them cause fear with the banner of prophecy on the slann and a war banner on the temple guard command. Temple guard can match anything the Skaven throw at them. You do need to protect flanks though, salamanders and kroxigor are good at this.

I prefe the lore of fire against skaven,its good for whittling down numbers on things like jezzails and flaming skull is useful for causing panic on low LD units such as globadiers. A well placed wall of fire will either give you the movement advantage because the skaven player is reluctant to move or allow you to roll lots of dice against their big units.

Drain magic on any high level casters is also useful, prevents those nasty spreading plagues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vs dwarves

against dwarves, despite what you may think, slann are a must. Give him rain lord (just spend all your spells on that lore until you get it. Rain lord will stop the unstoppable anvil of doom. Since the anvil goes during the shooting phase.) Harrass the dwarves with skinks, try to lure them forwards, I managed to make my friend send his best unit into a forest = 1.5 mov. Terradons to take out artillary. This will force him/her forwards, no artillary = no damage being done, you can use the marsh spell (if you got it from the lore) to slow their better troops. This is ideal with forest at the sides, and a river in the middle with a bridge.
    Taste the rainbow!
    (Plz don't sue)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For skaven try Terror causers like Steggie or Carnie. They can dish out enough combat res against skaven to win on thier own against a ranked unit. Salamanders are also great against all low toughness/armour horde armies.

Skinks and terradons I don't find as usfull, no where to manouver them.

If you have a Slann, watch for those Warp Lightnings - can end a game pretty quick...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast