Librarium Online Forums banner

Are Salamanders really worth it

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  timk1111 
#1 ·
I'm not very sure about having salamanders in my army, are they worth it and if they are what can you do with them?

#2 ·
They destroy things.

Ive had a unit of 3 salamanders destroy 25 dwarf warriors in two turns. They decimate anything toughness 3 and in poor armour. They are a threat to heavy cavalry such as bretonnians and chaos knights.

Their movement 6 skirmish rules means they are extremely maneuverable and salamanders can put up a mean fight in combat too!

I never make a list without them, even my 1k list has 3 salamanders.

#3 ·
Don't run them into any combats unless absolutely necessary, but salamanders are unbelievably good. Like has been said, they destroy anything with toughness 3, thanks to sheer volume of hits. They're also a threat to small elite units as well, like knights.

If I didn't run a 2nd Gen Slann in my 2k list, I would take 6! :D

#4 ·
The reason I dont run 6 in my 2k list is the 2nd gen Slann ^^.

Recently I have been thinking of with a highly mobile army using an old blood on cold one with 6 cold one riders combined with 4 strong units of krox and 2 packs of 3 salamanders. Fast and extremely hard hitting. Throw in some skinks and it could be fun to use.

Pretty much every lizardman list I make has sallies in though.

#5 ·
4 Salamanders for me (I would like 6 but the points for them just aren't there).

They are moving warmachines that have a forgiving misfire chart, are hard to kill and have the potential to kill whole units. Aim them at ranged units, 'lunatic' close combat units (witch elves, flagelents, slayers etc.), fast cavalry, skirmishers, warmachines or light infantry (T3 and 5+ save) and watch the salamanders victory point to cost ratio skyrocket.

#7 ·
Not only are they an awesome shooting unit, but they can be a devastating flanking unit in the right situations. I have had them see of chaos knights on many occasions by counter-charging them in the flanks. US9 fear causing skirmishers are not to be underestimated. Even If they dont kill anything, if you beat a US8 enemy by at least 1, its snake eyes or run time!

#8 ·
An interesting tactic my friend invented is to run them with jungle swarms. We all wondered why she put jungle swarms in her army until we saw her deploy. She placed the swarms right in front of her salamanders. The Sals can shoot over the swarms and the swarms can protect them from being charged. It is a nasty combo that is hard to go up against, it makes them very hard to remove.

#12 ·
I wouldn't say that...lots of swarms are really good.

TK's swarms can bury underground, and use the same tactic to protect Bow skellies or SSC. In top of they, thy're poinsoned, too

Undead bat swarms can fly, so can be handy.

Nurglings make a great support unit, and a re tougher and stronger than normal swarms...even have a save

Skaven swarms have access to poison as well, making large packs a large threat

Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.