new high elves - too good - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Rav
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new high elves - too good

i need to know how to take out a balanced high elf list used by a tactical vetren of high elves most likely 2000 - 2250 any advice, lists or general comments

any help will be apreciated, many thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

Well, it would be easier if you gave us a little more info than "balanced list" because that means different things to different people. The new high elves are by no means "too good".
    The ASF is stupid, but it's not a kill all. Wait til the new VC magic crazy lists come out.

I would suggest taking good magic defense (with the spawnings, you can get extra DD) of 5-6 dispel dice. I would take a fair amount of shooting as well (4 large skink poison blowguns and a good sized group of salamanders or 2) Elves are still super fragile, most have a 5+armor save at best. And now all their special troops are more expensive. Kroxigors are still good, skinks are still ridiculously good and salamanders are even better. Get rid of their shooting (bolt throwers and archers) and neuter their magic and the rest is movement, fleeing from the right charges and flanking the enemy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x2)

The new HE aren't "too good" and it has been prove (I actually think they got slightly weaker). A little insight on his list might help.
    Imo Lizards are one of the best armies to take out HE, their low T and AS are perfect for skinks and sallies. I would reccommend engaging him only on your own terms any head on charges could spell disaster. Just bait, flee and look for an opportunity to flank him. Stegadons are also very good as they have impact hits. Your best bet is combo/flank charges, nothinng should go into the front of a combat unit by itself, Terradons are also excellent for machine hunting so they can give you the upperhand in the shooting phase. hope this helps.
    2009 Tourny records (W-L-D) (20-4-4):
    9/56, 1/12, 2/14, 4/14, 32/82, 1/6, 16/72

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

To start off I will ask you, RAV, to read this thread:
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...designers.html
    So that I don't have to yell the same at you that I yelled in that thread...

Skinks might be the way to go, but remember to try and dictate the who fights whom, as it is very important not to throw temple guards into the front of swordmasters! The key to winning against the horrible elves is to dictate the battle (again, this is important against most foes, but against HE it is vital!) So no matter what units you end up using, remember to take the lead and dictate the battle!

Try to make an armylist and post it in the subforum and mention what you want from it. I am sure a lot of people would help you!
    -lurking in the shadows of LO.

Officially diagnosed by Tekore
    Melkhior, Necrarch Lord

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Orkimedes41792 View Post
    The new HE aren't "too good" and it has been prove (I actually think they got slightly weaker).
    I'm interested to hear how you think that they got weaker. Most units seem to have been given a boost or a points cut (or both), and there are only a couple of things I can think of at all that are worse, like no longer having any core cavalry, and tooling up mages getting harder due to honours being removed.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x2)

It is actually, as you have mentioned, the silver helms moving from core and the chariots not being 2 for 1, I believe movement is key, especially with elves so I think the old cavalry list was more effective than any list in the old or new book. I think Infantry based HE are too rock paper scissors. Ofcourse this is my opinion but I am still waiting to be proven wrong.
    2009 Tourny records (W-L-D) (20-4-4):
    9/56, 1/12, 2/14, 4/14, 32/82, 1/6, 16/72

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

Thats the thing, though, the new high elves aren't a mobility based army. The new high elves are a defensive army. They sit on the baseline like dwarves and shoot and magic you until you get close and then use their ASF to attack first when you charge. They then countercharge with their nearby units. Fast moving mobile High Elf armies are now a thing of the past as they seem to be the most effective sitting on the back board edge and sticking their units close to each other. Moving their fragile and expensive units around makes them vulnerable as they don't have enough of them in general to support each other if they don't stay in a tightly knit formation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having recently played against a couple of High Elf armies I hope to offer some insight. Most games were at 2k and in my 2k list I have a 20 strong block of temple guard, 2nd gen slann, JSOD, skink priest, 2 units fo 3 kroxi, 3 salamanders and 2 units of skinks.

Spearmen blocks - these may have multiple attacks but charge them in the front with a strong block like the temple guard and chances are you start out with higher combat res and their str3 bounces of T4 3+ save from the front. Not a problem as far as I cam concerned. Most elf players would rather sit back and let you charge so that they can fight from all 3 ranks. Be careful as this may allow them to flank charge in their next turn, remember you dont have to charge!

Elites - these are the hard hitters you should not allow to engage expensive and vulnerable units like krox and temple guard. This is what salamanders do well against. With salamanders range and devastating potential these expensive units of Swordmasters and White Lions die in droves to sallies. Blasting them with strong magic from a Slann is also satisfying.

Bolt thowers can be disabled with scouting skinks, JSOD or magic. I use my Slann to kill bolt throwers unless there is a better target.

Ive not faced any cavalry heavy lists and most HE players seem to use minimum core and favour their expensive elites which is nice because it means they are few and it becomes easier to dictate the battlefield.

Hope this helps somehow.

+ Reply to Thread