Best Slann Spells - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Best Slann Spells

I was wondering what was the set of spells or lores that have been found to be most effective for a Slann to take.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard taking the magic missile from each lore is pretty effective, but I can't tell you from firsthand experience since I use OLDBLOODS!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x4)

most people i know including myself prefer to use as Zeuv has said, multiple magic missiles for thier slann, but you cant realy go into a game knowing what spells or laws you want to use unless you know what your facing or are playing to a theme.

For example, if you are playing undead or daemons your best bet may be to concentrate all your spells in lore of heavens for bonus damage, or maybe lore of metal if you come up against dwarves and empire.

It is very much a wait and see situation with slann but if you want simply a 5 magic missile per turn monster go with the magic missiles from multiple lores

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by saltrock36 View Post
    For example, if you are playing undead or daemons your best bet may be to concentrate all your spells in lore of heavens for bonus damage, or maybe lore of metal if you come up against dwarves and empire.
    Do you mean lore of light? Heavens is kind of useless in 7th, while all the rerolls are good, the MM are pretty weak and the comet is so unpredictable for it's casting value. Maybe I'm missing something.

I find it hard to believe that that's all that is done with a 500 pt model is just roll magic missiles. That doesn't seem very useful. I guess with all the extra gizmos the slaan can rack up (+1 cast, +1 power dice, etc) that he has a pretty good chance of spamming lower level magic missiles. I've actually never seen a slaan played, so I am curious. I'm the second lizardman player in our area (3rd if you count this nomad kid that dissappeared a couple of months ago and didn't know how to play) and we both play saurus oldbloods.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

I've had success with using just all the rank 1 D6 str 4 missiles, but it turns your magic phase in a 4d6 str 4 nuke and that doesn't get much done. Each lore counters a different army. For example, throw all your dice until you get pit of shades when playing dwarfs. Its a game winner.

I've also heard some people say they just take 1 lore and their arguement is that having 5 out of the 6 spells from a lore keeps you diversified.

Also the lore of heavens is nice, for a skink priest. No range restriction means you can keep him in the way way back and use his eyes for your slann and still be able to get a nuke off.
    US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x4)

Yep, deffinatly meant light.

Now the multi magic missile slann does seem a bit of a waste but by producing as many magic spells as possible means its unlikely oyour opponent will be able to stop them from doing eventual critical damage over time, as a pose to one or two major spells doing mass damage instantly, as these are normaly countered with scrolls and the like.

Whilst playing slann as general i have found two methods work best for me. 1 is the expensive 2nd gen tooled up with plaques and banner in a TG unit. Here i pick a lore to best counter my foe but always leave one spell to grab an extra magic missile from another lore. There's nothing more anoying than either failing to cast or having you one magic missile stopped when you need to hit something like a woodelf skirmish unit coming round your flank, so having one in reserve can be a blessing. Of course this build works very well as a multi missile caster but against most armies with high toughness or armour it simply wont have a big effect on the game.

My favourite build is to keep the slann cheap only taking him to a 4th gen so he cant miscast and then choosing a single lore. this takes him into the realm of many other lvl4 wizards but he is still imensly better overall for your army than other race equivalents. this leaves you points and units slots to bulk out the rest of your force.
    Last edited by saltrock36; October 7th, 2008 at 15:44.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello there, sorry if I don't spell words properly since I'm French.

I'm Actually building a 2K Lizardmen army with a 2nd generation mage in it with 20 temple guards.
    I've been thinking for a while and definately going for the 2nd generation for the extra dice per spell and all the good stuff about him. I really don't see how the 4th can make his points back in the game, maybe he could but not destroy 1000pts of his own.

As far as I'm concerned I think that the Slann mage should choose the lores that are best suited against the ennemi, like a lot of people have said before.

Imagine that we take a slann with the extra power and dispel dice magic item and a level 2 skink priest. We'll give the 3 pool dices to the slann for a total of 7 power dice for the Slann.

2 magic missiles could be good at 5+ with :

---> two medium spells at 8+ + The drain magic spell at 5+ or 7+
    or
    ---> one medium spell at 8+ with one big spell at 10-11+

It goes like this :

first one magic missile at 5+ : one dice + 1 extra free
    Second magic missile at 5+ : one dice + 1 extra free

+

Then go to a medium spell at 8+ : two dice + 1 extra free
    Another medium spell at 8+ : two dice + 1 extra free
    Then finally the drain magic spell at 5+ or 7+ with one dice + 1 extra free

Or

A medium spell at 8+ : two dice + 1 extra free
    A strong spell at 10-11+ : Three dice + 1 extra free

The skink just casts a 2 dice spell at 5+ or 6+ in lore of heaven

This is just a example, after we can do what we want but the best thing is to get the extra dices in free. But I don't think that only magic missiles at 5+ would be very usefull.

For the lore choice, if Facing bretonnia or dwarfs or very armoured troups go for METAL
    If facing deamons go for Light...
    Fire can be good when facing undead for the regeneration killer.
    Leave heaven for the skink priests.
    I'll probably use death or fire for the magic missiles at 5+, if facing heavy armoured troups I'll take Metal as the main lore. If facing Wood elves I'll go Life as main lore....

Anyway have to go now. Regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

There is no "Best Spells" that the Slann can take. Each game will present different challenges against different armies. Where some spells may help you in some games, in other games their impact will be much less. Basically what it comes down to is you need to look at each game on an individual level and assess what spells will help you win that game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x2)

Rule of Burning Iron and Steed of Shadows are taken in about 80 - 90 % of my games with the fat toad.

Rest is tailored to the opponent.
    It's Adventure Time!
    2010 'Ardboyz Champion

Blood & Souls for Khaine! flameseeker574's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my lizzie playing friend tends to take a lot of the basic magic missles, he will roll in fire lore twice(this is most of the time) and death a few times as well, then he tends to grab something from metal as well. As a DE player I find the end result to be pretty terififying 3 or so Magic missles, and some support spells. My poor Lvl caddy cant keep up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast