Questions from a potential bandwagoner - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Questions from a potential bandwagoner

Howdy scalies, ==Me== here.

Well, it's that time again, a new army book is arriving and I wait patiently to hop on the bandwagon. Not so much patiently, but I do wait.

I've been a big fan of Lizzies since I picked up Fantasy (right after Skaven and DE), so a new army book might be a good excuse to pick a few up.

I'm sure some of you have access to the new book through your FLGS, advanced orders, or more nefarious means, so I have a few questions about possible army set ups.

I hear the Slaan have been nerfed into oblivion, is it true? I love the big toads and the new Temple Guard look awesome.

Engine of the Gods, win? I'm not a huge fan of the Steggy, but the Engine of the Gods looks amazing.

Oldbloods appear to be awesomesauce, but would a Scar-Vet be suitable as a fighty character?

Razordons or Salamanders? Or both?

Saurus Cav and Kroxigor?

I'm looking to make around 2250 points, would this fit?

Slaan+Temple Guard
    Engine of the Gods
    fighty Scar Vet

Saurus spear block
    2 units of Skinks
    afore-mentioned Temple Guard

Razordons
    Salamanders
    Terradons
    Kroxigors

I'm thinking with 2 blocks of solid infantry, skinkies and terradons running around causing trouble with Sallies and Razors guarding flanks, and Kroxies for flanking.

Would that work? Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slanns did take a big hit (they can now miscast, and lost the +1 to cast and dispel) but they did also receive a points drop, and now allow for more customization. However I was never a big fan of going magic heavy, but I'll try out the slann, but I fear that now that he can miscast, and with the amount of dice he can use a turn it looks like he could miscast quite often.

Again with the Engine I don't like magic heavy, so him taking up another hero slot is iffy to me. However with his abilitys he does look like he has potential, but I hear the skink rider is qutie vunerable.

Scat vets are pretty good combat characters, however like any normal hero they are only allowed 50pts of magic items making it harder to tool him to be a fighting machine. Also he can't ride a carasour which are getting a lot better. Scar vet with charm of the jag and a GW and using him to hunt WMs, chariots, wizards, and possibley small sqauds of cavalry was the way to go, however with it being nerfed to bound steed of shadows it's less reliable as it could be dispelled at a crucial moment.

Razordons are probabley the better of the 2, as they are more of a take all sort of unit, and sallies more situational (better against large blocks of high armor troops) and are more unpredicatble.

Kroxigors are probabley still the way to go in the new book (ever through those nerfs) as the Saurus cav only got slightly better, but didn't get a point drop. Also with the nerf to Haunchi's totem they have also taken an idirect nerf, and make them a lot less reliable. O and while on the note about reliability the saurus cav have stupidity and however it's quite a low chance to fail but it does happen (and the results can be disatrous). Many a times mine have failed stupidity only to have the unit they were going to assist get wiped out, or get charged themselves.

As for your list that should all fit, but of course it depends how big the squads are, and how many points you use on magic items and possible upgrades.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

I think razors are useless with roll to hit 12 inch range and a artillery dice that can miss fire and he can't flee only stand and shoot I wouldn't bother. ok lets say he is shooting high elf spearmen and didn't moved and he in all unlikeness rolled a 10 at long range further than 6 inches which is likely about 4.5 hit 2.25 wound and 1.25 die if he rolls a 10 and didn't move. I prefer a salamander also razordons are more expensive money wise But they look awesome. they are a bit like the high elf white lion chariot.
    Daemonic cheese-how? Well, you would need to start with daemonic milk, i guess...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by goliath View Post
    I think razors are useless with roll to hit 12 inch range and a artillery dice that can miss fire and he can't flee only stand and shoot I wouldn't bother. ok lets say he is shooting high elf spearmen and didn't moved and he in all unlikeness rolled a 10 at long range further than 6 inches which is likely about 4.5 hit 2.25 wound and 1.25 die if he rolls a 10 and didn't move. I prefer a salamander also razordons are more expensive money wise But they look awesome. they are a bit like the high elf white lion chariot.

Where are your numbers coming from? If using your example of 10 hits, 5 would hit, 3.35 would wound, and approx 2.9 would die. Razors don't suffer a penalty for long range, moving and shooting, or stand and shooting. However I do agree that they are quite gimped, but they could be useful if you perhaps put them next to your spear saurus and forced your oppenent to have to charge both (harder with larger bases) giving the saurus some nice support fire (and remember they do 2 artillery die worth of shots when stand and shooting). Other than that their usefulness is limited however, but I would still think they might be a safer investment out of the 2 as Sallies could be all but worthless against some armys like OKs, yet devistating against block heavy armys like dwarfs, especially with the armor peircing of -3 means that those pesky dwarfs (unless their IB's) wouldn't even get a save.

+ Reply to Thread