How competive is the new book going to be? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

How competive is the new book going to be?

Just got a hold of the Lizardmen book. This is the list I came up with:

Lord
    Slaan- 325pts
    The Focused Rumination, Higher State of Conciousness

Hero

Skink Priest- 390pts
    Engine of the Gods

Skink Priest- 390pts
    Engine of the Gods

Skink Priest- 390pts
    Engine of the Gods

Core
    Saurus Warriors(20 )- 250pts
    FC

Skinks (10 )- xpts

Skinks (10 )- xpts

Jungle Swarms (2)- xpts

Special
    Temple Guard (15)- 275pts
    FC

Total: 2250pts
    PD/DD: 15-19/10

Set up will be skinks on the sides, then Steggie, Saurus, Steggie, Saurus, Steggie and swarms somewhere. Steggie in the middle will cast Portent of Warding, the other two cast Arcane Configuration for Heavens and whatever lore the slann chooses. March forward, blast away and crush under.

Yeah...this is a power build. I'm curious if you would use this as a template for other lists, having the Skink priests being the core of the army and building around that. Also, how do you think this is going to stack up against DoC and VC? Additionally, I thought it was interesting that everyone was saying how lizards were no longer going to be magic masters and yet I think that even all Tzeench armies will have a hard time to come up with something like this. And I haven't even gotten to the CC builds either....

Last edited by JakeHunter52; January 30th, 2009 at 05:00.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

Well i think you should consider more items/abilities for the Slann, those bas**rds can bo very very powerful indeed. If you want magic heavy, they need to be the focus with the priests just as support. As for how well it will work? Give it a go in battle, and tell us how it went. The magic is certainly extremely powerful, but there is no way to tel how well it will really go until it has been tested, as with much of the new book.

I think this thread should be in the army lists section.... But if you think it belongs here as a general question from your subject, again it is impossible to tell at the moment. For example, when the High Elves were first coming out, I thought the lion chariot was way to expensive to be even worth considering, now all of my lists include it from experience since it hits sooooooo hard. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, beats actual battlefield experience, you really need to try things out and see how they go rather than relying on theory.

Combat heavy? Old blood on carnosaur with light armour, scimitar of the sun resplendant, maiming shield and carnosaur pendant. This puppy gets a whopping 8 (9 after his first wound) attacks at strength 5, while his carnosaur gets a bunch of strength SEVEN attacks. And he has a 2+ AS. Not much can compare wit that sucker in combat, he is more for unit killing than chatracter killing, though with the carnosaur no longer a large target, not a hero choice and causing d3 wounds to everything plus strength 7, it can probably eat through most things. Also, there are pretty strong rumours that psychology that effects the mount effects the rider and vice versa like with Dark Elves, unfortunately my current copy of the book is dodgy and misses that page, so it is possible the carnosaur pendant won't even be needed and there are some points left for other things.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

Sorry, the list wasn't supposed to be the main subject of discussion, merely an example of which to begin debate of of. Regarding the magical items, really I think a majority of them are not worth it. I am strongly against one use items out of the fear that you will pay a significant amount of points for them but only have a single chance for them to prove their salt. I like the more secure way of having a consistent investment to rely upon. Also, because I think that the Lizardmen book is written so strongly, I think that (in regards to a magic heavy army) magic items are only icing upon the cake and not really necessary. Sure, I could have a one time use of +3 to my casting roll but is it really worth it as opposed to more bodies in my saurus unit? And absolutely, combat experience is neccisary. However, the possiblities are siginificant and worth discussing, especially because I don't feel like you can match this without special characters in other armies. And good points about the combat heavy side of Lizardmen, because not only does it give a different point of perspective on what characters are best at but also how will they best fit the army you are running. I like your character build, I feel like that it could be stronger than a Warrior of Chaos build even (hurray for Order!). But yeah, I am interested in how people will feel how this will stack up against VC and DoC.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

I have said before and still think we are around the same level as the high elf book. DoC was an abberation. Don't think they will put out another book that over the top any time soon. VC was not as bad, but pretty powerful, and we don't stack up to that either. But the new book is better than the empire 7th edition book, maybe close to DE and WoC.

Thats my view,
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

131 (x5)

Eh, Lizards got a bit better, but they aren't on a power level equivalent to DoC or VC, and might be even below DE and WoC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they geared the new book to make you wanna take saurus more often, and unfortunatley...take skinks less often. I like and dislike the new book, but more dislike because skinks were one of my favourite units, now they are just...meh. One thing for certain though is that a unit of temple guard with chakax and a slann which be one of the best units in the game hands down. Temple guard going down in price helps too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saurus are still WS 3 and Initiative 1. Ok, they are 1 pt cheaper and have an improved armour save, and kept S4 and T4. But I ask you this: would you pay 11 pts (12 with spears) for infantry wits WS3 AND I1?
    Temperature regulation is overrated.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

160 (x7)

LM are middle-to-low tier. We're nowhere near as bad as TK or Beastmen and better than dwarves and a few others, but well behind any of the elves imo and definately below the 2 power armies. Don't be suprised if the new Skaven army is just as broken as VC or Demons. Alesso Cavatore is writing it and he wouldn't know balance if it hit him in the head. . . several times.

As far as your list goes, that's hardly a power build, in fact, I'd say that's probably a good way to lose the game quickly. You don't have enough attacks in your army to win one combat, and you'll be picked apart and separated till all that's left is your slan unit (which will easily be surrounded and eaten. Heavens has a few decent spells but nothing that you can depend on to blast anyone with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

Yeah, now that I see your guy's points and after talking to a good friend about it, I can see that Lizzies aren't as crazy competitive as I though (especially my list which probably do very badly against any who takes a decent war machine). However, I do feel like this book was an improvement over the last because you do get some very good magic abilities but also excellent combat opportunities. I am going to have to disagree with you Lounge_Lizard, Saurus are a great deal IMO. Saurus have the advantages of being very tough (to kill and break), hard hitters off the charge and relatively cheap. Poor weapon skill and initative can be overcome through tatical maneuvering but the actual ability to kill a lot of other core units and still being able to get a lot of them is invaluable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all the battles I've fought against the new lizards so far have been losses, mind you, the general playing them has been playing LM for over 15 years and I'm new, but they are certainly a top tier army now, 3 stegadons? im mean oh my god! the carnage!
    Chaos Warriors (2009) 16-4-9

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast