Had some success with massive TG unit, opinions? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had some success with massive TG unit, opinions?

After playing with various lists my standard 2500 point list in our group is to use 3 skink squads to fill out the core, maybe a unit of salamanders, a steg, fill out characters (Slann, 3 Scar Vets), and then every other point into Temple Guard. This usually results in upwards of 50 Guard, and what has worked so far has been putting all the characters in the unit as well. I know it sounds like damn near every egg in one basket, but I've had very solid success with it. The skinks usually do a good enough job covering flanks from quicker stuff, and the steg is a solid counter charger. Couple that with giving the Slann the lore of life to slow units and heal the steg/characters, and it's been pretty concrete. Just curious as to all your opinions/ideas.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After using a similar sort of technique about a week ago just without as many guard i'd say that your principle problems here are going to be..

a. getting to outnumbered or outmaneuvered to cope with it with only the one sizeable combat unit (there's only so much a steg can protect you against)
    b. Pit of shades
    c. shooty armies and artillery would muck you up quite badly in the time it would take you to get to them.

The first two are things that i would think could be a problem and the last was what really hurt my army when I tried a similar technique.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

why would you do this? I can't see you getting more than 16-20 in one unit. Why get the slaan if you're not going magic heavy (this is a very expensive magic defense or way to make the unit ITP? Why not get 3 units of Temple guard if you like them so much, one for each Saurus?

I don't know what kind of success you think you're having, but I would subscribe most of it to poor opponent skills. Yes, this unit could be difficult to move, but one just has to realize that it doesn't move very fast, so most armies will just deal with the other elements of your army and then shoot, magic til the end of the game. You'll get a draw or minor loss or greater every game (you'll have a hard time capturing table corners with this unit)

I also fail to see how you could glean any enjoyment out of this playing style, but that's just me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

If you want a massive unit use 25 temple guard with the warbanner they outnumber(with unit strenght 28 I think it is safe to say they will outnumber) have 4 rank bonus standard and warbanner for +7 static combat res before kills(they arn't easy to kill and with a pair of scar vets in front they will kill thier fair share) and get the other 25 to guard their flanks. with a scar vet for them. that could hurt.
    Daemonic cheese-how? Well, you would need to start with daemonic milk, i guess...

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

goliath, you only get up to 3+ for your ranks. There is never any reason to take more than 20. Never. They are too expensive. There is never any reason to have more than one extra character in the unit and even he is unecessary. They are ItP and stubborn and won't be easily broken with a BSB nearby (slaan). Use the points elsewhere. Anywhere and you'd be better off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"There is never any reason to take more than 20. Never."

The reason you take more than 20 is so you can sustain loses and maintain your maximum rank bonus.

"They are too expensive."

They are a T4 Str4 ItP Stubborn Cold blooded with the option for a 2+ save. I don't find 16 points to be too expensive.

"There is never any reason to have more than one extra character in the unit and even he is unecessary."

Having characters in the unit maximizes the chances of winning combat. Unnecessary? Technically, sure. Beneficial? Absolutely.

As for the success I 'think I'm having', the list has held up against VC, TK, DE, HE, OK, Orks and Gob, Dwarves and BoC. I guess it's entirely possible that they all suck at playing their armies.

I have played around with shaving enough TG to have a unit of Saurus, some Terradons, Chameleon Skinks, Salamanders etc., but every iteration of the list has maintained the large TG unit since it's the backbone of the army.

"I also fail to see how you could glean any enjoyment out of this playing style, but that's just me."

Noted.

+ Reply to Thread