Advice concerning magicy Lizards - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Advice concerning magicy Lizards

So, my friend is going to run a very magic list. I'm a wood elf player, and I guess I wanted to know how afraid of it I ought to be. On paper, to me, it seems quite intimidating; but, then again, I don't play Lizards so I'd have no idea how competitive it actually is.

I don't really know how all the points balance out, but he's got:
    A Level 4 Slann in a unit of Temple Guard.
    A unit of Saurus.
    Two small Skink units.
    A small unit of Terradons.
    And two Stegodons with Engines of the Gods and Skink priests on them.

Apparently this gives him a level 4 and two level 3 casters?

Really, I guess the simple question would be, is this a good way to go with Lizards? And why?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

I've seen a similar list played. Basically, you don't have a chance and I would presume you would call the game by turn 3. Elves have little that can stop this.

Despite the warning, if you want to play him anyway, get as many sniper weapons as you can and pump them into the priests. Bait and flee, try to stay out of range and LoS of his magic (get out on the flanks) and his burning alignment. Charge him, don't be charged. If you have a dragon, I'd take one. If you have a treeman or two, I'd take them as well. Take as much magic defense as you can, etc. Good news is that most of the spells that are going to hurt you are coming from the slann, if you can quickly move to the flanks, he might block his LoS and nullify some of his own magic. Lore of Heavens is better in combat, but only on his turn, so you need to charge him, not be charged.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    93 (x1)

My advice would be waywatcher hell, i've seen temple guard be charged and most things bounced back cause they just refuse to move although an organ gun made them look very unhealthy.

Go waywatchers and treemen, slamm into his stegs and shoot the hell out of the temple guard from the back and then murder that slann, also take a forest dragon if able cause its big, green and damm scary

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

OK, my two armies are lizardmen and wood elves. To say wood elves don't have a chance is a little to defeatist. It will be tough for them but they always have a chance.

His list is magic heavy, and he is relying on it to win him the game. This is always problematic, as a few bad rolls and your magic suddenly becomes a lot weaker. But there is nothing you can do to make him miscast, so lets see what you can do.

Your main decision is on what lord to take. I think there are 4 viable options:

1) A spell weaver. Taking the wand of wych elm, a scroll caddy, and a branchwraith with cluster of radients can really put a damper on his magic. With the extra power dice discipline he can pump out about 15-16 PD a turn. With 8 rerollable DD you should be able to stop most of his damage spells, and then hit him with some good combat units.

2) Treeman ancient. With this you would want probably 2 caddies to give you time to get your troops across the board. Here you are looking at a combat oriented army. You want to get to him as quick as possible and with the strength to take down the stegs and saurus/temple guard.

3) An alter with the spirit sword. Great model for taking out the stegadons. Kill the steg and the priest reverts to a level two wizard. With the extra charge range you should be able to charge quickly and therefore avoid any impact hits.

4) Dragon riding highborn. This can be combined with the spirit sword as well if you like. This would be basically a fast hitting army with wild riders, warhawk riders and some smaller support units. Get into combat with the stegadons and you should be able to beat them and the priest on top of them.

I think it can be a fairly even game, which you have a decent chance of winning.

Good luck,
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Okay! Thanks for all the input! Particularly Sirkently.

I do happen to have a dragon, treemen, and a dude I specifically made to be my Spirit Sword user. So I think i can, and will, go that route.

And I don't mind being slaughtered if it turns out that way. My friend tends to be a power gamer; if I minded losing to him I would've stopped playing with him by now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

So... do skinks on Stegodon Ancients use up a hero and a rare slot, or only a hero?
    Last edited by Gnomish.Id; March 16th, 2009 at 09:29. Reason: miss type

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Only the hero slot for the skink.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

The stegadon the Skink Priest's take count as a mount upgrade in the skinks options so no it does not take up a rare choice.
    Warhammer 40k: Blood Angels, Imperial Guard, Grey Knights, Space Lizards (wolves), Kroot, Witch Hunters, Dark Eldar
    Warhammer: Lizardmen, Empire, Vampire Counts, Brettonians, High Elves, Skaven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Okay! That's what I thought. Thanks!

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

The one problem with the treemen idea is he can take lore of fire and pretty much turn your treemen into kindling if he gets some good rolling. Plus the ancient steggy can create a ward save against shooting. Skink priests on anceint stegadons are perhaps (in my opinion) the most improved unit. The engine makes them a level 3 wizard for PD and DD purposes, the Slann can cast spells through them via telepaty if they are within 24 inches. In my first game as lizardmen when i lost my steggies, the game went downhill for me.
    If a Million Guardsmen die, that's a statistic. If one marine dies, that's a tragedy.

+ Reply to Thread