Close combat survivability? Much ranged? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Close combat survivability? Much ranged?

Basicaly I am wondering if the lizardmen has good survivability in close combat, Do they have armor and stuff like that? Do they have much ranged or can yu have a big close combat army with only alittle bit of ranged as support?

I currenty have a Wood elf army and after I hit about 2000 points I'm gonna start a second army. I'm thinking of lizardmen or maybe skaven, though I want a army that is in close combat and has less ranged then wood elves (And preferably more portection then the No Armor wood elves..)

Are lizardmen good against Bretonnia, Vampire Counts and Warriros of Chaos?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Saurus warriors are very beastly, probably the only other standard core choice that can go toe-to-toe with Chaos Warriors. They can take and dish out beatings very efficiently. Just don't expect to attack first unless you charge.

Ranged-wise Lizzies are rather weak. Sure their are Stegadon howdah weapons and the Razordons/Salamanders but the mast majority of Lizardman ranged attacks come from blowpipes and javelins which don't have spectacular range.

Magic. Now this can become the Lizardmen Player's calling. Lizardmen boast he most powerful wizards in the game (Slaan) and the Skink Priests can be mounted on engines of the gods to unleash true magic devastation. Few armies can handle so many spells (maybe except those Spell Resistant Dwarves!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In terms of Close Combat, Lizardmen can deliver quite a beating. However, with Initiative 1, you definitely want to get that charge off. Range is weak, but blowpipes are good for taking down big things (giants, in my experience). If magic is your thing, get a Slann or a couple Skink Priests. If you want to bash skulls in, take an Oldblood, or a Scar-Veteran. Either way, Lizardmen are more suited for skull cracking.
    "Our philosophy is beat it until it stops moving."
    "And then shoot it."
    "And then step on its nads!"-The Gamers 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Thanks, sounds like the lizardmen will be good for a second army after my wood elves hit 2000 points. One of the most annoying things with my wood elves in close combat is the whole deal about the army having no armor, Meaning no saves exept for those with a ward save (And thats mostly just 6+)

Played three matches with my wood elves so far, anihilated the Orcs & Goblins player in my first match. Got crushed by the Bretonnia knights in my second match, and then today got eaten by the Vampire Counts.. XD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear you man. I played one match with my Wood Elves (I won), and having no armor save kinda kept the battle at range. I suffered 8 deaths on the Wood Elf side. He had about 30. But no armor save made it a battle of the bows.
    "Our philosophy is beat it until it stops moving."
    "And then shoot it."
    "And then step on its nads!"-The Gamers 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

I just got to look at the new Lizardmen army book and they seem to have more units now, And some seems to have been upgraded in their stats and others downgraded. Is the new book good, And does the lack of initiative hurt the army much? (I know it would cause my wood elves to get anihilated.. XD)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the lack of initiative shouldn't really hurt as Saurus are quite tough and should survive long enough to retaliate for some powerful hits especially if they have spears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lizardmen have the only armour saves that can compete with Dwarves and Warriors of chaos. As for shooting, it is VERY close range, but very effective. Our mobility and magic are our chief weapons.

Cheers!
    Temperature regulation is overrated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

Yes they have great close combat survivability. There ranged stuff can be very potent but not game winning as it has very short range. There magic is great so this army would be a complete change from your woodelves.
    Daemonic cheese-how? Well, you would need to start with daemonic milk, i guess...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Yeah, the magic bit feelt a bit lacking with my wood elves.. I can.. Umm.. Move a forest.. And thats about it for the semi usefull spells.. Or so it feels anyways XD So yeah, Lizardmen seems like a nice second army. Strong in close combat, And good in magic (But.. I think everyone is compared to wood elves..)

And a quick question about the Lizardmen armor and such, For examble the Saurus Warriors has Scaly Skin 5+ save, And a shield that adds +1 save, So does Saurus Warriors have 4+ save then?

Sorry for all the questions and stuff =P

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast