Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Been playing some Lizardmen as a secondary army and having a pretty fun time with it. I am liking the new book and it fits my play-style very well (WoC is my main army).
My normal opponent is a high elf player
We usually like to throw some rough lists at each other and see if the other army can eventually come up with a counter for it. The last list we have been trying was a 4-6 stegadon list @ 2000 points (yes I know its cheesy, but we wanted to see if the elves could find a counter).
This lead to some questions in regards to bolt throwers and how they affect stegadons
1. Does the bolt thrower only target the stegadon or can the skinks be damaged ontop as well?
if thats a yes, then I have the following:
2. Do you randomize the bolt thrower shot before firing with the standard 1-4 = monster, 5-6 = riders?
3. If a character is involved, would question #2 be broken down even farther [ with 1-4 = steggy, 5 = crew, 6 = character]
4. Since the skinks are on the stegadon, does the +1 when firing at a large target apply to them as well?
5. Can a bolt thrower penetrate ranks on the skinks in the howdah and if so how do you figure what a "rank" would be for them?
6. Can you specifically target the skinks on top with say the "spread shot" that High Elf bolt throwers can shoot out or do you have to go through the process in question #2?
7. Can you specifically target characters ontop of the stegadons or do you have to go through the process in question #3?
we couldn't really come to a good conclusion on these, as its hard to tell how the stegadon is treated for rules (is it a chariot, is it a monstorous mount, is it a unit or is it a single model?) as it seems to share qualities from all 4.
any help would be appreciated, figured maybe someone here who has a little more experience with steggies in the past might be able to shed some light.
thanks in advance
Ranged attacks must be aimed at the whole model (which is ALL a large target). Then hits get randomised, 1-4 steg, 5 crew, 6 character (if there is no character then 1-4 steg, 5-6 crew). The crew have no ranks so only 1 can die per bolt.
Last edited by kroxigor01; March 21st, 2009 at 11:51.
With the targeting issue as posted above all missile fire is targeted against the unit as a whole u can however choose which part you hit in close combat.
thanks for the quick and informative answer
that was how we had been playing it, but we weren't sure if that was correct or not, especially on the +1 to hit of the large target when affecting the skinks riding on top.
5 you cannot specifiacal target you got thruogh process 2
7 go through process 3
Daemonic cheese-how? Well, you would need to start with daemonic milk, i guess...
You roll to hit before you randomize, so yes the +1 has to apply. The stegadon rule page in the army book says that shooting hits are randomized between steg, crew and character as described by echoaaron, and thats basically it.
I would personally (as the HE player) go for the spread shot and try to pick off the crew.
Remember also that once you have rolled to hit, randomised successful hits and rolled to wound, each unsaved wound is multiplied to D3 wounds. No armour saves are allowed against the single bolt.
Furthermore, if, for examples sake, there is a character with a talisman of protection on top (6+ Ward Save) and the Bolt Thrower fires a single shot that hits and is randomised onto the character, there is a specific process that follows:
1) Roll to see if the S6 bolt wounds the character as normal.
2) The character then rolls his ward save.
3) If this is failed, you then multiply the wounds, NOT before the ward save.
Was this post helpful? Please click the Thumbs Up button to the left if it was. Cheers!
Quannum, funkin' out in every way. Since 1987.