Small but powerful, offensive lizardmen army? help. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small but powerful, offensive lizardmen army? help.

hey, im new to fantasy, after a failed venture into bretonnia.

is a small but powerful army valid? i.e

Tooled up characters (such as Kroq-gar on Carnosaur, a Slann)

a solid core of saurus warriors

a lot of cold one riders

kroxigors

salamanders

stegadon

Engine of the Gods seems to be impressive.

please help in making a small but powerful, offensive army. thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

What do you mean by small? How many points do you want the army to be?

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will assume this refers to a small number of models and a 2000-2250 pt army.

Characters
    Oldblood on carnosaur hits hard and can threaten many units. It can be difficult to use, but is worth it, especially since it can hide behind other units now.

Priest on engine. If you want to focus on the offensive this is a must. Alone with diadem and a scroll you can generate 6 DD and have a scroll. This along with the nice engine abilities. Just be careful of getting the priest killed too early.

Scarvet BSB - a BSB is nice and scar vets hit hard. I usually run this in the saurus cav for a huge hit.

Core

2 X 12 saurus with spears. They can guard flanks against fast light stuff (lots of S4 attacks) and afre a nice second hit when the chargers don't get the break you were looking for

2 X 10 skirmishers - so good for so many things

Special

5 saurus cav, st, mu, warbanner - alone a good hammer, with BSB a monster hammer

3 terradons - marchblock fast stuff that the saurus can't handle

Rare

salamander - 4 skinks
    salamander - 4 skinks

Two packs of a single sallie can cause disruption, get panic checks, move easily, be used as sacrifice, etc.

That is about 2000 pts.

Other things to add would be another priest if you are worried about magic (I'd put cloak to keep his safe and a scroll)

Also, another unit of terradons would be great

Adding those two gets to about 2250

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, ronbrown is correct. i meant a small amount of models that could do alot of damage, looks visually impressive and makes my opponents larger force look like shit. =D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I happen to run an army just like what you are saying. I have to disagree with the poster above me- I believe that small units of Saurus are not very useful at all, honestly. My list looks something like this:
    Oldblood on Carnosaur
    Skink Chief on Ancient Stegadon, carrying Stegadon Warspear
    Skink Priest with Diadem/scroll
    block of 20 saurus with spears
    2 sets of 10 skink skirmishers
    10 regular ranked skinks naked
    two sets of cold one cavalry, 6 and 5 with no champions
    two razordons, extra handlers
    salamander, extra handler

It's a little weak on magic defense, especially for a beginner, but I find that in a mobile, hard-hitting army that's lacking in models and focuses on combat that Engine didn't really fit well. That was after 10 or so games of experimenting. I tried the list above for a handful of games and it has been excellent, and I massacred the magic-based army I was up against. The skirmishers and ranked skinks can screen your units from shooting(even the Carnosaur) or can run up the side to take out loose enemy units or monsters, or marchblock. The terradons serve the same purpose, but take out pesky flankers and lone sorcerers even easier with their rock drop. The Stegadon and Carnosaur I ALWAYS use in combination, and they absolutely destroy any and all units they are up against. In the end of my game against the magic-heavy army, the only things left on the board were my terradons, half a unit of cold one cavalry, and the carnosaur and stegadon. There was nothing left of the other army, and it was the top of turn 6.

At the same time, you may find that you need that Engine and prefer it and can use it better than I can, in which case just replace the chief with the Engine and maybe drop a razordon. I am adamant that Saurus need to be in blocks of 20, though.
    That's just my 2 cents. (Or 20.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skink chief, warspear, ancient steg is a great combo (I've played it also with him as a BSB just for that extra insurance against bad dice.)

I tend to take more magic defense as a meta game concerns as high magic (especially gateway WoC, demons and VC) are becoming more popular among the people I play and I want the extra insurance. Plus, if the magic is lighter, its still an ancient steg and hits hard and break ranks.

I guess everyone will have the come to their own conclusion on saurus. Smaller units work well for me, and hurt less when my opponent is able to get me in a bad position.

+ Reply to Thread