Steggadon in skink unit? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

Steggadon in skink unit?

Hi,

I just want to make sure before I try it out. Can a caracter mounted on a Steggadon or ancient steggadon join a unit of skinks?

I read the rules and the only things I saw were that a caracter on chariot can't join a unit other then a unit of chariots and that fly cavalry can't be joined by anybody except if specified in the army book. For heroes on monstruous mounts there is nothing stated that prevents it unless a steggadon counts as a chariot.

If we can I think this would be good.

SSSAASSS
    SKKAAKKS
    SKKAAKKS
    SSSSSSSS

S = skink
    K = Kroxigor
    A = Priest or chief on Steggadon or Ancient Staggadon

Stegaddons cause fear and terror and are stubborn so would give that to the whole unit.

"Iron Within, Iron Without"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Sure they can, but I don't know why you would want to.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

They ciould but can still be picked out from shooting and magic since they're large targets so the only benefits would be the stubborn and terror (are you sure they transfer over stubborn though? its the mount that has it not the character)
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

The unit would become stubborn. If the mount has stubborn, then so does the rider. Its on page 78-79 of the BRB.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

It would be worth it just to get to say to your opponent "Terror-causing skink infantry"

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

you can also get a banner and full ranks but you just made that unit cost a ton more points

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

Thanks for the replys everyone.

The thing I found nasty was that when the steggadon joins a unit he only uses 2 files on the front row but gives 3 Str 6 attacks + 4 crew attacks + chief attacks all in the space of 2 skinks. The kroxigor can swing also and the skinks fill in the ranks and the outnumber for cheap.

The way I wanted to play them was to have the unit of skinks go up front with the kroxigor and have the steggadon walk behind. People don't seem afraid af skinks and they also don't fear the steggadon when he is behind a unit because he can't charge. The turn before your unit charges, you join the staggadon to the skinks at the end of the mouvment phase to give it extra mouvment (only needs to touch the unit to join it and has to go to the front ranks thanks to rules). If the unit you want to charge would loose combat to only the steggadon send him on his own, if not you send in the whole block and kick ass.
    "Iron Within, Iron Without"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this has been an interesting topic that im glad i have read...but how would it work if i wanted to join just a steggie to the skinks? no special character on him

and i get told all sorts of things about magic in combat so id like to just ask quickly here

if a priest on a steg is in combat. he can still cast magic. im under the impression that if it is a spell that needs line of sight it can only affect the unit the priest is in combat with. but if it is say uranons thunderbolt, it can still be cast anywhere.

also the engine still works every turn even in combat right? and is there any circumstances other than the steggadon dieing where the engine cannot be used?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

What about this combination:

A = Character on stegadon
    B = Another character on stegadon
    S = Skink

AABB
    AABB
    AABB
    SSSS
    SSSS

(Except there should be 5 Skinks not 4)

This way you get full ranks, but no squishy skinks in combat!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by TheNick View Post
    this has been an interesting topic that im glad i have read...but how would it work if i wanted to join just a steggie to the skinks? no special character on him

and i get told all sorts of things about magic in combat so id like to just ask quickly here

if a priest on a steg is in combat. he can still cast magic. im under the impression that if it is a spell that needs line of sight it can only affect the unit the priest is in combat with. but if it is say uranons thunderbolt, it can still be cast anywhere.

also the engine still works every turn even in combat right? and is there any circumstances other than the steggadon dieing where the engine cannot be used?
    A steg alone cannot join a unit, monstrous creatures cannot. The reason it can when under a priest or chief is it becomes a monstrous mount, and characters (and their mounts) can join units as long as they aren't flying, of course stegadons will never fly.

Wizards can cast spells from combat, just not magic missiles or others that specifically say so. I always thought that in combat you had no LoS regardless of large target status since you are focused on the combat. The engine still works in combat, if the priest dies as well it will obviouslystop working.

kroxigor01 (familiar name ) very interesting idea there. It somehow sounds wrong to me, but really the rulebook says any characters must go in the front rank if there is space and push other models to the back. It would be like 2 stegadons with extra numbers and rank bonuses. Pretty big point sink and a harsh loss if you get flank charged though, plus it forces all those points to only go after 1 target at a time. A novel and interesting idea though.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast