Possible use for skink infantry - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x3)

Possible use for skink infantry

Lets face it the skink infantry on their own are awful. Toughness 2, weapon skill 2. Even with lots of kroxigor in the unit they are still likely to loose against elite infantry.
    I came up with the following possible idea because a single stegadon on its own is generally not enough to break the line and im tired of the skink priest on an engine being challenged and butchered by flyers or faster enemy characters.
    So the unit:
    12 skinks with full command, 1 kroxigor. Then put a chief or priest on a stegadon in this unit.
    This ranks up to be 6 skinks wide at the front, but gives you a full 4 ranks and a healthy unit strength of 25 and a banner.
    With a charge range of 12 it will get the jump on pretty much any infantry. After the impact hits and the kroxigor and stegadons attacks, do people reckon there'd be enough of the enemy, to kill enough skinks to even up the combat res?
    If not then im really struggling to find a use for them, even goblins own them in combat.

What do people think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

66 (x2)

You could go to all that trouble... but I would always prefer saurus warriors with spears

the problem with the stegadon is that putting him in a unit will make him even more of a cannonball magnet.

Stick with Saurus, the only use I have for skink warriors is as tarpit units used to give other units cover!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

That is a very expensive way to use a unit which is not exactly nessisary. Just use saurus with spears.

I would use them to capture table quarters but they are points better spent elsewhere.
    Daemonic cheese-how? Well, you would need to start with daemonic milk, i guess...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skinks= poisoned javelins/bows+BS of 3= more effective usage of Skinks.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

69 (x3)

Fairly nuff, I pretty much agree with everything you guys have said. I was just trying to understand why gamesworkshop thought they might be a useful unit... and thus put them in the book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

I think its more of a fluff thing, some people like them because it brings back the theme of Krox and skinks working closely together. Unfortunately why they did away with their old synergy and added this new unit of fail instead is beyond me,

I would still use the nerfed krox if they could still charge through skink skirmishers, now I don't even give them a second glance when constructing lists.

Unfortunately, as I think andre pointed out with this thread, is that even if you try to make skink cohorts better, the unit becomes vastly overpriced while still not being as good as the saurus warrior alternative. Why pay the points to make an abysmal unit mediocre when we already have rock hard infantry choices.
    "I am the architect of fate!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that skinks are extremely awkard to make the best of. I like to take them more for comic relief since I like their models, I find how **** they are in Close combat hilarious and when they do kill something big you can rub it in your opponents face... in a modest way...

I had 12 skinks hold off a unit of 20 Chaos warriors for 4 turns with some lucky rolls and cold blooded.

But everyone here has it right, if you are looking for an effective army then skink are not the best option. Instead of trying to improve them, leave them.

Having said that, if you are taking them for shooting purposes then they more than meet the challenge in my books
    Eldar: Hakan-eth Craftworld - Lead by Head Farseer Jaraith 2500pts
    Tau: Yihe'ya Sept - Lead by Shas'O Yihe'a Montro Myen Kauyon 1500pts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I once saw a unit of Skinks with poisoned javelins seriously wound a unit of my Rat Ogres once. I had 4 Rat Ogres/2 Packmasters. A unit of 9 Skinks with Javelins moved in, all they wanted to do was march block, but managed to roll 4 6's and that's quite a bit of damage to take when you expected the Rat Ogres to do MUCH more then that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

66 (x2)

They dont have any use. all these random occurences being stated aren't actually answering the topic, Do they have any specific possible use?

I believe they do. giving your opponent free VP's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't say I've had any luck with regular Skinks. The skirmishers are still great though. In my last game they actually killed a High Elf Chariot in Close Combat. The only good thing I could see any form of skink unit doing is screening and march blocking, which they do pretty damn well. Well, at least the skirmishers do.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast