Thinking about starting a Lizardmen army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking about starting a Lizardmen army

I am thinking about starting a new lizardmen army. I'm still fairly new to Warhammer, having played only 5-10 games. My first army is the Dark Elves. I've collected a fairly big number of units (no harpies or Dark Riders though). Came across someone who wants to sell some painted lizardmen and started thinking about buying it. It would be nice to have a second army so i don't get bored.

Are the Lizardmen fun to play? How different are they compared to Dark Elves?

This is what he's selling:

-1 Slann Mage priest
    -1 Saurus Old blood
    -1 Skink Cheif
    -2 Skink priests
    -16 Saurus Warriors
    -20 Skink skirmishers
    -3 Chameleon skinks
    -2 Terradons
    -1 Saurus cavalry
    -1 Salamander Hunting pack

I play mostly friendly games, 1000-1500 pts. What would i need to buy to get a decent, balanced army? I will be facing WoC, Ogre Kingdom, VC, Wood elves, Empire & Tomb Kings.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am thinking about starting a new lizardmen army. I'm still fairly new to Warhammer, having played only 5-10 games. My first army is the Dark Elves. I've collected a fairly big number of units (no harpies or Dark Riders though). Came across someone who wants to sell some painted lizardmen and started thinking about buying it. It would be nice to have a second army so i don't get bored.

Are the Lizardmen fun to play? How different are they compared to Dark Elves?
    I enjoy the lizardmen, They can be taken with no magic and heavy infantry to really pound the enemy into the ground, the Cold Blooded rule means they will more than likely pass most leadership tests. However you can also take lots of magic, the engine of the gods that the Skink Priest can take (stegadon with a magic siege weapon on the top) has good non dispellable on top of a monstrous creature that deals impact hits on the charge and grants the Priest on top a higher max dice roll and an extra power dice (and if a lvl 2 wizard an extra dispel)

Having never played or fought Dark Elves however I cannot compare.

This is what he's selling:

-1 Slann Mage priest
    A lord choice only so you will need to build up some more points to get a 2k list. Very strong spellcaster though, and the Disciplines he can take give some very nice bonuses
    -1 Saurus Old blood
    Old Blood can be taken as a lord or hero (Scar-veteran), A very versatile hero with good survivability, works well in a unit of Saurus warriors or Temple Guards.
    -1 Skink Cheif
    Skink Chief is best on a stegadon, the chief on the field is not that great of a model for the points cost but on a stegadon with a warspear for 2d6+1 impact hits he becomes very handy.
    -2 Skink priests
    Skink priests are good for magical defence and decent for magical offence, Lore of Heavens is a good all round lore in my opinion.
    -16 Saurus Warriors
    You will probably need some more Saurus Warriors. 16 is an okay size for a unit but 1 unit would not get you much in a 1.5k fight. Strong unit though.I would take a command.
    -20 Skink skirmishers
    Skink Skirmishers are good, but keep them out of close combat (their CC ability is poorer than a goblin), Do not worry about command company for these guys, it just is not worth it
    -3 Chameleon skinks
    Chameleons are not so popular with the mass, they are slightly better skirmishers at a higher point cost (and price cost)
    -2 Terradons
    You would need an extra terradon to take a unit, never used them but I know some people really like them.
    -1 Saurus cavalry
    1 Saurus Cavalry? as in a unit or a model? if its a model It couldn't be fielded unless its an Old Blood on a cold one.
    -1 Salamander Hunting pack
    Salamanders are quite good. the -2 armor save and leadership test rules are useful.

I play mostly friendly games, 1000-1500 pts. What would i need to buy to get a decent, balanced army? I will be facing WoC, Ogre Kingdom, VC, Wood elves, Empire & Tomb Kings.

My suggestion, another box of saurus warriors and a stegadon (for a mounted hero instead of taking up a special/rare slot), that will bring you near 1500, I like to put a skink priest on the Stegadon for the Engine of the Gods but some people prefer the skink chief and warspear for 2d6+1 impact hits.

After that start thinking about templeguards, even 10 with the Slann in it will be a fine amount considering they become stubborn with a leadership of 9 and cold blooded(I like to take more to up my Slanns survival)
    Last edited by decoinferno; August 28th, 2009 at 12:33.
    Eldar: Hakan-eth Craftworld - Lead by Head Farseer Jaraith 2500pts
    Tau: Yihe'ya Sept - Lead by Shas'O Yihe'a Montro Myen Kauyon 1500pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for answering my questions so thoroughly.

Dark Elves are rather weak, mostly T3. I guess i'm looking for the opposite, high toughness & strength. Something that doesn't drop like flies when facing bigger threats.

The "new" army book, is it any good? I kinda liked the generations part but apparantly it was cut?

+ Reply to Thread