Lizardmen Modelling Question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x1)

Lizardmen Modelling Question

I am on the verge of starting a Lizardmen army for Warhammer, but I have a couple questions, and would like to hear your inputs...

Which models are plastic? I am assuming the skinks, saurus warriors, temple guard, cold one riders, and stegadons. Is this correct?

How well do the Saurus Warrior and Temple Guard bitz mix? Could I put a temple guard head on a saurus warrior body? arms? Could I use some bitz from the Temple Guard to put on a cold one rider, to make a scar veteran?

I am thinking of buying the batallion, another box of Saurus warriors, a stegadon, and possibly a scar veteran on carnosaur (would that be better to run on his own, or in a unit of cold one riders)

My plan for colors is to go with a brown and tan flesh tone, with either yellow, or red scales. The shields will be bone colored, and I am planning on making the stone weapons look crystalline (when appropriate)

Thank you for your opinions.

Very Respectfully,
    --Forsaken

* "I'm Significant!" -screamed the dust speck
    * "Call me old fashioned, but an evil ascension to power just isn't the same without someone chanting faux Latin in the background."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

Pretty sure you hit the nail on the head with all the plastic. TG and saurus and CO are pretty interchangable, yeah.

As for the carnosaur, it can only be ridden by an old blood not a scar vet, but yeah it is a good choice. Sounds like an interesting colour scheme.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

56 (x1)

I'm currently assembling my lizardmen army and everything you named is plastic except the carnausaur. I interchanged stuff from the Temple Guards with stuff from the cold one riders and the saurus warriors.

In stuff you haven't named the terradon riders and the slann are in metal.
    "Iron Within, Iron Without"

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

the temple guard bodies are actually quite a bit bulkier than the saurus. The TG stuff may translate to saurus, but the saurus parts don't mix with TG that well. But I think you can mix most of the other stuff alright.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

59 (x1)

I keep getting told that the Temple Guard aren't very good unless they are accompanying a Slann. So I plan on using the temple guard pieces from the battalion box set to create unit champions for my saurus warriors and cavalry.

I think the undead lord Kroak might make a splendid addition to my army (and I can always use him as a 'standard' slann, right?)

Does 'interesting' color scheme translate to bad idea? I wanted to go with a desert theme, but I've heard conflicting reports on the appropriateness of that idea in the fluff. (I am still very new to Warhammer Fantasy).
    I was trying to avoid the typical greens and blues of the 'standard' armies.

My initial purchase has been
    Lizardmen Army Book
    Lizardmen Battalion Box
    Lizardmen Saurus Warrior Box
    Stegadon

I plan on getting a Carnosaur model, or Slann Mage Priest; and either Terradons or Salamander hunting party with my next paycheck.

Thank you for your advice/feedback

Respectfully,
    --Forsaken
    * "I'm Significant!" -screamed the dust speck
    * "Call me old fashioned, but an evil ascension to power just isn't the same without someone chanting faux Latin in the background."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken2544 View Post
    I keep getting told that the Temple Guard aren't very good unless they are accompanying a Slann. So I plan on using the temple guard pieces from the battalion box set to create unit champions for my saurus warriors and cavalry.
    Without a Slann, the 10 Temple Guards you'll have will only be expensive Saurus, more or less, but if you do take a Slann, they'll be worth their cost. I wouldn't scavenge their sprues for bits just yet (more so since you'll already have a few Saurus Unit Champions)

I think the undead lord Kroak might make a splendid addition to my army (and I can always use him as a 'standard' slann, right?)
    Sure, why not! :) Fluff-wise, Kroak isn't even unique. He is the first of what is called a "Relic Priest", which is basically a mumified 1st-generation Slann. Tell your opponent you're using it as a normal Slann and it should be no problem at all, as you said.

Does 'interesting' color scheme translate to bad idea? I wanted to go with a desert theme, but I've heard conflicting reports on the appropriateness of that idea in the fluff. (I am still very new to Warhammer Fantasy).
    I was trying to avoid the typical greens and blues of the 'standard' armies.
    Neat! I did a little digging in the 5th, 6th and 7th edition Lizardmen armybooks as well as in the 6th and 7th edition WHFB rulebooks and that's what I found to help you fluffwise with your idea.

In 5th edition, there wasn't really an unifying color for Lizardmen. Players were encouraged to pretty much go crazy with the colors they wanted as it was explained that depending on the time and place of the spawnings, there was much color variations (at a certain temple-city, the earlier spawning was red, and now it was blue... and at the same time it was green in another temple-city, for example). 6th and 7th edition came along and said "Lizardmen are blue as Orcs are green.", and the only color variation (besides going with different shades of blue for the skin) was to color the scales as the color you wanted (because some spawnings were blessed by one of the gods or the other, each having a different color).

These god-specific colors still holds true today: Orange for Chotec, Red for Sotek, Yellow for Tlaxcoatl, Purple for Tepoc, Black for Huanchi, Green for Tzunki, ??? for Itzl (no specific color, just greater head crests) and finally White for the Old Ones.

Of course having a desert-themed spawning being born was part of the Old Ones plans. But where would that spawning could have taken place, most likely? After my research, I could advance these theories (but my knowledge of the Old Ones plans is of course limited to my reading of fragmentary plaques so of course, other possibilities that you might think about exists).

1) In Lustria, the ruined Temple-City of Oyxl is on the border of the jungle to the north and the Culchan Plains to the south. Maybe some Lizardmen are sent in the southern plains to patrol, or maybe even go as far south as the Elven Fortress of the Citadel of Dusk?

2) There just isn't much desert in Lustria so the most likely candidate for such an unique spawning would be in the Southlands. The Temple-city of Zlatlan is said to most likely have had dealings with the Kings of Nehekhara, from the Deserts of Araby or from the Great Sandy Desert just north of them, so they could be stationned there, or at some other locations linked to the Geomantic Web such as Tlaqua or the Temple of Skulls, both northern enough to maybe benefit from a desert-themed Lizardmen army to travel north from them (maybe to try and go recover some lost treasures of the Old Ones?).

Near these, you can find at the east of the World's Edge Mountains range, besides others, the Imperial enclave of Sudenberg, the Tusker Plains, Elven Fortress ruins, the trading city of El-Kalabad and of course many Tomb Kings cities such as Ka-Sabar and Bhagar. At the right side of the mountain range there's the Crater of the Dead and the undead cities of Rasetra, Mahrak and Lybaras and even northward, the ruined city of Lahmia and the Lost Hold of Karak Zorn. Lots of Orcs and Goblins there as well. Plenty of gaming opportunities to do battle!

I'm sure I'm forgetting more fluff stuff, but I'll update this if I remember anything else of interest... Have fun!!
    Last edited by Lode; September 13th, 2009 at 22:55.

+ Reply to Thread