Lizardmen Saurus Cavalry - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x1)

Lizardmen Saurus Cavalry

Greetings Fellow Gamers,

How do you use the Saurus cavalry effectively? I have two battalion boxes inbound and I want to make sure I get the most bang for my buck.

What works? what doesn't? What tricks do you have to get the most out of them?

Thank you for your time.

Very Respectfully,
    --Forsaken

* "I'm Significant!" -screamed the dust speck
    * "Call me old fashioned, but an evil ascension to power just isn't the same without someone chanting faux Latin in the background."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ordered two battallions recently as well and my plans are to use atleast 2x6 Saurus Cavalry and then use a few to represent Sarus heroes.

Will be following this topic to see what other people suggest. I haven't had any games with my lizards yet, having recently started collecting them in addition to my WOC:

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x3)

I like huanchis blessed totem on these guys. The extra d6 charge range means you can get the jump on other cavalry or units who your opponent thought you were out of range.
    Generally i've found that the cavalry draw a lot of fire cause people are scared of them. I've taken to using them almost as a decoy unit because of this. It the oppo spends the whole time shooting up my cavalry the infantry will arrive at full strength and mop up.
    Another tactic is to keep them in reserve hiding behind units and whatever cover is availible for the first couple of turns. Once the enemy is close in and engaged, jump out and strike in to the flank of their battle line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

I run 2 units of 5 with no upgrades. Cheap enough to not be fussed if I lose them and I can risk the chance of them failing to rally when they flee as a charge reaction. But they are still capable of eat any enemy unit without ranks (or eating a ranked unit in the flank). My really meaty combat is carried by my mounted scar vets, not tied into the less manouverable Cavalry unit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run a unit of 5 with a sun standard, and i usually put a scar-vet in there as well because they are just a beast when mounted on a cold one. The sun standard is very nice for cavalry because I find that they seem to attract the most shooting when they are on the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

I run two units of six with music in each. Like others have said, I use mine to take on stuff like single rank units and to flank charge any combats that may be stalemated somewhere.

Each units main purpose though is to support its stegadon. I have a Skink Chief on an ancient with the warspear and a skink priest on an engine. Each steg charges stuff in the front and usually has a supporting unit of cold one cavalry for flankers.
    "I am the architect of fate!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have run them at 1 unit of 5, sometimes with a scar vet, sometimes not. I haven't had much luck with just 5, though. It sounds like 2 units of 5 is the way to go. From my experience they are super tough in CC, but if you get some poor saving throws against shooting its really painful. Has anyone tried a horn of kygor list? 100 points seems like an awful lot for stubborn and if you mounted the Oldblood it would have fear already, so...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by DeRailed_612 View Post
    I have run them at 1 unit of 5, sometimes with a scar vet, sometimes not. I haven't had much luck with just 5, though. It sounds like 2 units of 5 is the way to go. From my experience they are super tough in CC, but if you get some poor saving throws against shooting its really painful. Has anyone tried a horn of kygor list? 100 points seems like an awful lot for stubborn and if you mounted the Oldblood it would have fear already, so...
    I do play a Horn of Kygor list often. I figured stubborn was more useful on 1+ save/ward save heroes then on a unit of Saurus Cavarly (who, if losing combat, are screwed anyway). I originally ran a list with 4 Saurus characters and had quite alot of success, until I played against a magic heavy army (VC in my case). I haven't played since then, but I think I'm going to swap to 3 Saurus characters and a level 2 Priest on EoTG (diadem and scroll).

These are the 3 Saurus character;
    Oldblood - cold one, spear, light armour, shield, Horn of Kygor

Scarvet - cold one, spear, light armour, shield, Burning Blade of Chotec, Glyph Necklace

Scarvet - cold one, spear, light armour, Enchanted Shield, Aura of Quetzl

These characters have T5 and 0+ or 1+ saves as well as an assortment of other defensive stuff. No unit with less then S6 will ever hurt them. They are also immune to fear. Basically they are immovable when within 12" of the Horn and the BSB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

I got the two battalion boxes too, and I'm thinking to field 3 units of 5 with music, plus a scar vet on a cold one.

I'm planning to use multiple small units army.
    Any thoughts?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you have cavalry, and want to control the movement phase you have to make sure you have something that can hold an enemy unit in combat so that you can do all your flank moves. Stegadons are great for this, so i like to run my cav along with them. Also a few skink skirmishers to harass your opponent are great too, I love skinks for tactically fleeing and then hitting them hard with something else.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast