Defeating high elf spearmen - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defeating high elf spearmen

Now i am new to lizardmen and i was wondering if anyone here new a good way to take down high elf spear men with there ALWAYS ATTACK FIRST and FIGHT IN THREE RANKS they are very good and if i just charge in i probably wont get many attacks because i would expect them to at least kill the front rank

I know you may find the Tyranids physically repellent to look at but believe me, you don't want to let them out of your sight.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No sweat brother. Almost every unit we have kills spearmen with ease. remember they have a terribly low safe.

Saurus have a higher T and still hit on 4's. they also have the same if not better armour safe as spearmen. Give them spears and you will break that unit in 1 or 2 turns.

skinks also work, however elves are slightly faster than humans, you will still do fine if you move around the flanks and poisen those units.

But probaly the best unit against spearelves are salamanders. They can hit about 15 elves orso with the teardrop template, and str 3 vs t 3 is very very nice. No armour safe and a panic test? here do i sign?!

To put it simple, even our core units have no problems with spearmen, and our special and rare slots all annihilate spears. This all changes ofcourse when a elf character joins the unit

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually take them down with some skinks and 3 razordons. Just keep them on their flank and they won't be able to do anything about it.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x3)

Hmm, spear elves are only really a problem for our cavalry or a character on a stegadon charging in the front and then getting eaten by 15 attacks.
    There are several options here:
    - Salamanders as callmeHK said are the very good. They are probably our best unit against elves, they will rip through all those low toughness troops with ease.
    - Saurus blocks with spears will munch them in combat, even when only fighting in one rank they should atleast draw combat, come the second round you will rip them apart.
    - a unit of skirmishers with blowpipes will have a happy time dropping this lot like flies from the side.
    - terradons dropping rocks can also be useful against this unit.
    - magic...

In general, we have plenty to take this unit down. But Im not sure they should be your biggst worry when fighting high elves. Dragons, Bolt throwers and chariots should be your targets of priority. Our Saurus infantry can match pretty much all of theirs. Its the other stuff you need to target with the rest of your army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! The only models i have is a saurus regiment but i intend to get more models soon.
    i will most definitely be playing against high and wood elves what units should i buy??
    I know you may find the Tyranids physically repellent to look at but believe me, you don't want to let them out of your sight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wood Elves really don't have an answer to Razordons, other than just spamming treefolk and dryads. Wardancers can't do much against them, and archers are just fun to go against.

But, they don't seem to be all that popular on these boards.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember that the LizardMen are probably the only army that outclasses the HE in magic use so attriting them is always something on your side.

Remember that even with 3 ranks fighting in the defensive still needs to hit and the numbers do say that I believe you should expect probably a little over 2/3 odds that they will hit you. but they will be a 1/3 to wound or less, and you then get as much as a 50/50 to make your armor save. So it does balance out. If the dice are with you your unit is not going to take much damage. If the dice are not with you....yeah it could get bad.

Add to it your two base attacks and the truth is, the Lizardmen have all that it takes to charge a block of Elf Spearmen and survive.

Don't forget your cold blooded, where even if you lose the round, you are still unlikely to break.

Ideally, if I knew that the core center of an HE army was going to be a huge unit of Spearmen, while I don't doubt that it would make a formidable opponent, I still like my odds of using a Saurus Unit to penetrate and ultimately beat such a unit head to head.

Still I would like my odds better if your unit has a really good magic standard, if there is a unit of Skink Skirmishers on the Spear's flank, or even better, a Stegadon on the flank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My brother plays High Elves and I honestly have no problem with them when I charge with my Stegadon. The Impact Hits alone make him cry:

1. Impact hits are resolved BEFORE anyone attacks (including Challenges)

2. Any wounds caused by Impact Hits count towards Combat Resolution

Add a Skink Chief and you're golden:

1. 2+SV on an Ancient Stegadon (3+ on regular Steg) - PLZ correct me if im wrong but idont think Lt. Armour and Shield can improve these saves... If they can, then you know what to do.

2. Add Stegadon War-Spear and you have yourself a beautiful 2D6+1 Imact Hits. (Thats a possible 3-13(!) kills just on your charge)

If you don't like the idea of "wasting" your Steggie charge on some Spearmen, I too suggest Saurus or even some well placed blowdarts. Or just out manuver them and charge the flank, problem solved.

Lastly, ignore them all together. In my experience, the Spearmen sit there protecting flanks hoping I'm going to charge them. I'd be more afraid of their special units or those darned bolt throwers that always seem to hit my Characters in the head.

Hope this helps, Cheers!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also, you real first line of defense when you charge with a STeggie is the Terror test.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone seems to miss this rule, but HE fight in four not three ranks. Cry while you can

High Elves: Tactics | Games Workshop

Anti-hordes
    The High Elves can chew up hordes of Goblins, Skaven, Empire State Troops, Skeletons, Zombies, Bretonnian Peasants and so on without even breaking a sweat. Because they strike first (and will invariably have a higher Initiative so get a re-roll to hit) and they fight in so many ranks (two as standard, plus one for spears, another for the Martial Prowess special rule and another for a horde if you're so inclined) they will cause untold carnage on the enemy. A large block of Spearmen will absolutely ravage a unit of Skaven or Goblins and emerge on the other side largely intact... which is just as well because such a unit will often have to kill two or three such foes before the battle is over!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast