Help w/Skaven Hellpit Abominations - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help w/Skaven Hellpit Abominations

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to deal with Skaven Hellpit Abominations. One of the regulars at my hobby store uses 2 of them and they are very difficult to handle unless I use the Blade of Realities or a Carnosaur. Has anyone found a good way of dealing with them in a 2250 point game with a Slann as the lord?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Well I'm not looking at the skaven army book right now but from what I remember I'd say to use either skinks with blowpipes. With poison attacks you can get a lot of wounds, and if it charges them flee, rally, shoot again. Also because it's a large target you're looking at +1 to hit. Another idea is the use of salamanders. With only str. 3 you'll be looking at 6's to wound, but flaming attacks will put a stop to regeneration. Otherwise try skink warchief with stegadon warspear. OR haha take a nice block of saurus or so and hope to beat it in combat res. and then over run it. My last suggestion is magic. Lizardmen are exquisite, probably the best spell casters in the game. Try shooting some lore of fire magic missiles, or use burning alignment from an engine.

Ha I know that's a lot, but that's only good in your favor. Pick one you like or utilize a few. And most importantly good luck and let us know what happens.

p.s. could you let me know what you've thrown at it and lost with?
    Eternity Guard (SM) W-15/L-5/D-3
    Lizardmen w16/ L1/ d2 :On hiatus since new rules... =/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

If it gets hit by 1 flaming attack, it won't come back.

Lore of Fire ftw.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Senior Member -The-White-Lizard-'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x1)

Another suggestion be it a little different is to take the lore of beasts and just take it out of action each turn with 'the beast cowers', although if he runs two you will definately fare better with lore of fire spells.
    side note - I run lore of beasts fairly often and find that 'the beast cowers' is by far the most damaging spell, i have used it to take dragons/hydras/big blocks of cavalry and chariots out of the game.

-Hope this helps-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by raptor8610 View Post
    Hi all. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to deal with Skaven Hellpit Abominations. One of the regulars at my hobby store uses 2 of them and they are very difficult to handle unless I use the Blade of Realities or a Carnosaur. Has anyone found a good way of dealing with them in a 2250 point game with a Slann as the lord?
    Based on what I am reading, it sounds like these Skaven HellPit Abominations (sounds pretty lethal) have regeneration ability. If so, yes, then Lore of Fire is your friend....however, that has it's drawbacks- yes it will work on the Abominations, but I think the Skaven have access to some low cost magic items that grant complete protection to fire, so expect any other character to probably have it and thus be immune to your other magic. Also, Lore of Fire while destructive, there are better spell lists to be used vs the Skaven so it is a trade off.

Calculate how much the Abominations are running the enemy's army list point wise. If it is a substantial investment, then honestly I would go with Lore of Fire, but I would pass on having to max out your number of spells and would put my points in other things- the 4 spells you roll for will be more then enough to deal with the Abominations. If the Abominations point costs are NOT that high, then honestly I would re-look at other spell options first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all for the advice. I think Lore of Fire is my best chance of taking them down. It is essential to take them down before they get to close combat. I know from experience that it is virtually impossible to beat them in combat resolution unless you get lucky and they roll a 1 or 2 and have the feed attack. On a roll of 3 or 4 they get 3d6 strength 6 attacks and on a 5 or 6 every model in base contact takes an initiative test or take a strength 6 hit and the rest of the unit takes 2d6 strength 6 wounds. That wipes out virtually everything and it overruns 3d6 catching most units.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

damn ,that is pretty freaking lethal!!!

Um, yes, then you have to stop them from closing range on you and it sounds like fire is indeed the trick.

Salamanders certainly have something and I think Razordon's if you can put them in a position to draw the charge from the frenzied creatures, then they may be able to deliver a lethal blow to them, but the problem is putting them in the right position to match up with them- your only going to get 1 shot with the Razordons or Salamanders.

Some terradons or skink skirmishers out front to act as speed bumps for them is essential.

Find out of LORE OF BEASTS work on them, or what they actually fall under. The Lore of Beasts has spells which will lock a unit in place for a round, if these creatures are what I think they are, it might work on them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

The problem I see with some of the skink tactics suggested is that I believe the Hellpit Abomination causes terror, so watch out for that. That Inititive check sucksss for saurus so certainly kill it from afar. Also remember that an engine that charges into one will get 2d6 str 6 impact hits, is imune to the terror, can use burning alignment which will do d6 str 4 no armour save hits, then all of its normal attacks. From my record of late I swear by engines. Sure they die by canon fire early sometimes, but in the games that they make that charge, they just tear things up. Not to mention if you make half his skaven flee in terror you won't have to worry much about the abomination. You could try to just make all of his units flee and dance around the abomination.

That's something I've learned. Sometimes you just really don't have something in your army to take on that enemy unit, so, why chance it. Block march it, wall it out, flee from it, and most importantly do as much damage to everything else while you do this. When it comes to victory points his hellpit won't mean anything if all his models are running off the board.
    Eternity Guard (SM) W-15/L-5/D-3
    Lizardmen w16/ L1/ d2 :On hiatus since new rules... =/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Steggie is certainly another option. You would want the thing that ward shields them while at range, since any Warp Lightning canon shots and other bad things will be coming your way. Or the one that increased LORE's effectiveness and use it to help supplement a Slann trying to use magic against these things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the advice. I havent played him again since starting this thread but I will be trying some different things out. Unfortunately he knows fire is their weakness and always has at least 4 dispel scrolls to protect his abominations until they reach combat. The only success I have had has come from the Blade of Realities which has not failed me yet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast