Facings dragons? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Facings dragons?

I've got some issues with HE/DE Dragons with mounted Lords, how can i best counter this? the DE player will almost always use a Ring of hotek nearby his dragon.

The DE Lord will usually also bring a killing blow lance, which sofar has killed me every time before i got to do anything with my lord ( in the cases where i use an oldblood )

The points are always set at 2250, what is the best way to counter this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what its DE i am some new to this but i have got much knowlage on this forum and what race are he?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, Lore of Beasts would allow you to lock the dragon in place for a round with the BEASTS COWERS spell. So you would need a slann with sufficient lores and power dice to cast it and keep it in place on a regular basis.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Against High Elves magic is probably the best bet, the dragon means your opponent is forgoing an archmage so will be a little light on magic defense. The difficulty then is getting the spell through because once your slaan takes beasts I am not too worried about your the spells from him I just have to stop Beast Cowers. For that reason I think I would go with Metal, Step 1 randomly end a magic item for the turn, step 2 cast fury of the forge or Molten silver one (magic missile) if you affected his armour save. you can also pepper him from your skinks with magic and blowpipes that turn as well.

The Dark Elves are more difficult although I would have a similar approach, Rule of burning Iron on the bearer of the Ring of Hotek (if it's a champion) at end of phase, End magic item (spell 5) at begining of magic phase if it's a hero. This would have to take at least 2 turns and to get off Rule of Burning Iron you need to have left him depending on ring of Hotek for defense so you can snipe him so a fairly good magic phase threatening his best units with good spells that he can't ignore.

You could also give Blood idol thing to your Skink priest and Try using this to kill the ring of hotek bearer.

Lizardmen do have it tough against large monsters as most of their stuff isn't really designed to kill them extremely well, I can imagine similar problems with an assassin and a hydra working together.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vs a HE Lord riding a dragon, well, the problem is there are 3 ways he can throw a dragon at you: A Lord, a ArchMage, or a Dragonmage. I would say perhaps the Blade of Realities could work but it is far from a sure thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

skink skirmishers with blowguns
    2010 WoC Cav W/L/D - 7/3/1

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x3)

What about a resonably sized unit of cold one riders with attached oldblood on carnosaur and huanchis blessed totem. The guy will set up his dragon for a charge on this unit, but the extra movement might catch them out. not totally reliable, but worth a go.
    I tend to find skinks with blowpipes unreliable in taking out dragons. Good against other monsters, but the 3+armour is generally too good, an stop most of your darts. I guess if you could get 3 units into range and just unleash 60 shots you've a good chance, but terror can seroiusly hamper you here.
    Against HE, you should dominate a dragon army with magic. DE, is more difficult due to ring of hotek.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in most cases the rider is easier to kill than the dragon.

just some food for thought

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Ayliffe View Post
    skink skirmishers with blowguns
    Much wisdom in these words.

Don't engage the dragons and try your best to shoot them to death.
    US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

Indeed, lizardmen find it rather hard to kill big stuff of doom, like a steamtank.

A dragon however, shouldn't be your ultimate nemesis. As has been said, skinks work nicely.

O noes, It's a dragon of ultra cheesy doom, and he's got a pointy eared prick on his back!

cowering saurus warriors: * urgh? *

Saurus leader/slann: Bring out da skinks!

* skinks show up from every direction *

30 skinks with blowpipes ( 210 pts, howmuch does that dragonlord cost again? ^^ )

fire! * Thum , thum thum! *

moved, multiples, long range ( just maxing out the modifiers ) , against large target. Hit on 6's.
    60 shots, 10 poison hits on average. Randomise 7 on the dragon, 3 on the elfish prick.
    3+ save ( and only high elf star dragons, and dark elf black dragons have that. The smaller dragons are easy meat. My 10(!!) blowpipe skinks killed a sundragon last time with flipping extreme ease! ) that's 2 to 3 failed saves. The lord might fail one too, but that's a bonus I guess. 2 or 3 turns of firing and you're laughing. If you just stay on the edge of a forest you can hit a dragon on 5's ( long range ( possibly!! ) and multiples, large target. ) That's 20 hits. 10 of which aren't poisoned. randomise a lot of these on the dragon, and you have 6 or 7 str3 hits on a dragon. Doesn't sound like much, but you might roll one or two extra 6's. That's 2 more 3+ saves that dragon has to take. 6-7 poisoned hits and 1-2 normal wounds, that's 7-9 saves on 3+ he will have to make. A dragon doesn't survive that long.

Keep your skinks in the forest and he can't even charge you! xD

Dragons, giant, ogres, minotaurs, spawns, dragon orges, shaggoths, etc. etc. are all really easy. It's big things with 1+ saves that are hard, like the steamtank.

So 2 or 3 rounds of only blowpipes and that uber dragon is gooooooone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast