Principles of a Lizardmen army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Principles of a Lizardmen army

I'm starting a Lizardmen army and I'm looking for advice generally. 1000 pts to begin with.The only thing I'm certain about is that I want a strong combat army - something that can go wading into combat and is tough enough to stick around with it. I play Tomb Kings and Wood Elves seperately, so skirmish is getting boring for me, and I want units that don't fall apart.I'm open to advice generally, particularly in terms of character/weapon combos. I'm a blank slate when it comes to Lizardmen characters, so the best advice is very welcome.Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skink priest,lv 2,plauge of tepok, engine of the gods=430-lv3 wizard, knows 3 spells and is riding the best unit for its cost in the army
    18 sarus,spears,command=222
    18 sarus, spears,command=222
    2 salamanders

Solid, good in every phase and no funny skirmishing buisness. Watch your flanks and you'll be fine. Don't be afraid to sacrifice the salamanders to protect the sarus's flank
    Last edited by Heimagoblin; March 21st, 2010 at 16:10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

Even with your dislike of skirmishers I would suggest taking some skirmishers, they just add to much for a lizardmand army to do without. For a combat 1k army I would suggest something along these lines.

Scar-Vet
    Burning Blade of Chotec
    Enchanted Shield
    Light armor
    Cold One

Skink Priest
    Dispel Scroll
    Dispel Scroll

18 Saurus
    Spears
    Musician, Standard

18 Saurus
    Spears
    Musician, Standard

5 Cold One Riders
    Musician

Salamander Hunting Pack
    Extra Handler

This is what I would suggest if you really dont want any skirmishers.

If you dont mind some at least, I would consider dropping the second unit of saurus in this list for 2 units of 10 skirmishers, then you could drop the music off the Cold One Riders and also have enough points for a unit of teradon riders.
    Last edited by Phaeron Typhoon; March 25th, 2010 at 06:30.
    "I am the architect of fate!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skink Priest: Lv 2 Wizard, EotG, Plaque of Tepok
    405 pts

18 Sauras Warriors: Spears
    216 pts

10 Skink Skirmishers
    70 pts

10 Skink Skirmishers
    70 pts

6 Sauras Cavelry: Standard Bearer
    230 pts

simple as

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

For someone new to lizardmen (and most lizardman players honestly), I suggest against 1k engine lists for a couple reason.

- If you dont take the engine you can take lots of other stuff so as to really get a feel for the different lizardmen units.
    - When you take an engine at such low points, you are placing all your stakes on one model. Maybe its just me, but I dont like my whole game plan to revolve around a single model.

I'm not saying dont ever use the engine, and for those that do (even at 1k) then more power to you, its your army and you paid for it. I guess i just personally dont find the attraction of a list that primarily falls back on a single monster and hopes the enemy didn't bring any cannons, etc.
    "I am the architect of fate!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya i see why you say that, and for a new lizardman player they should get an idea of the units, they should be able to tell how well something will do just by reading the rules for them.
    The EotG is a Lv 3 Wizard, mounted on a S6 living charriot that gives riders a 2+ As, AND 'The Burning Alingment'!
    Tell me where elce you can get a Hero with all that for less than 405 pts?

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Virusoffline View Post
    Ya i see why you say that, and for a new lizardman player they should get an idea of the units, they should be able to tell how well something will do just by reading the rules for them.
    The EotG is a Lv 3 Wizard, mounted on a S6 living charriot that gives riders a 2+ As, AND 'The Burning Alingment'!
    Tell me where elce you can get a Hero with all that for less than 405 pts?
    Well, I can get a dwarf hero for 122 pts that can kill it. ( and it's not a slayer )
    Or a 90 pts bolt thrower that can kill it.
    The EotG is good, but in 1000 pts it takes up so many points it will overall weaken the rest of your army.
    But that list of yours above does look tasty, the engine combined with the cold one cav, jum jum jum.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The bearded one View Post
    Well, I can get a dwarf hero for 122 pts that can kill it. ( and it's not a slayer )
    Or a 90 pts bolt thrower that can kill it.
    The EotG is good, but in 1000 pts it takes up so many points it will overall weaken the rest of your army.
    But that list of yours above does look tasty, the engine combined with the cold one cav, jum jum jum.
    Well in the case of the Dwarf Hero, if your charging the EotG into the hero/ hero and his unit then thats whats going wrong.
    Use the Stegadon and the Sauras Warriors block as a hammer and anvil.
    Sauras on the dwarfs front, steg charges the side and lets off the Burning Alignment. The steg can outrun dwarfs easy so dnt let the hero in base contact.
    As for the bolt thrower, The portent of warding will provide the Steg and crew with a 5+ ward save againts ranged attacks. Dnt rely on that, just a little help. With the plaque of Tepok you should get some nice 'unlimited range' spells, stay out of the 48' range of the bolt thrower if you can, and send the cavalry to deal with the warmachine. Or even the skinks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

at 1000 PTs, I say two good blocks of Saurus warriors........

if you KNOW you are going up against armies that lore of HEAVEN can be effective against, then you should consider putting a lv 2 priest on the EOTG, if equipped properly he becomes a defacto level 3 wizard in a area that most armies can't get above lv 2 with.

Truth is, Lore of Heavens is not that powerful IMHO. Even with that magic item that gives you the extra spell (to become a defact level 3 wizard) there is a very good chance you will miss out on all 3 of the only offensive spells HEAVEN offers. So that is something to consider.

Personally, at 1000 points, I'd go with the Skink Chief/Steggie/Steggie Warspear combo; or the Scar Veteran as my leaders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Virusoffline View Post
    As for the bolt thrower, The portent of warding will provide the Steg and crew with a 5+ ward save againts ranged attacks. Dnt rely on that, just a little help. With the plaque of Tepok you should get some nice 'unlimited range' spells, stay out of the 48' range of the bolt thrower if you can, and send the cavalry to deal with the warmachine. Or even the skinks.
    To stay 48' away you will need a big table, or a stupid dwarf. That also then takes away the engines main bonus, covering other units with its ward save.

So effectively, you'll be ramming 400pts into a single model, that will sit quietly in a corner for the game, occasionally popping off a lightning spell (which is still poor as dwarves have magic resistance and a good dispel chance) and hiding from a bolt thrower that could walk forward at any time and pop you like a melon. That doesn't sound like the best of plans...

That'd be like facing a 1000pt force, with the 600pt's of models you are able to spend after forking out for a useless engine. Against any decent dwarf player you'd be screwed. Sideways.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast