Fighting Wood Elves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fighting Wood Elves

I was wondering how to avoid the effects of HoDA especially with an Alter. Also any tactics when fighting WE with a variety of units in a 1000-1500 pt battle. Skinks don't work with me that well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

You can give salamanders hunting packs a try, template for the world! Or a razordon pack, which will hit the elves on 5's with str 4 ( deadly against the puny elves ) .

I guess the hail of doom arrows would be limited if you have the engine of the gods using it's 5+ wardsave gungan shield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There isnt much you can do to counter the 'standard alter' setup, which is the setup for a noble you are refering to.

The noble is from the alter kindred with the HoDA and the Helm of the Hunt, add great weapon, light armour and shield and he is done.

So he is T3 with a 5+ AS, but if he charges he has 4 S6 on WS6~7 (I dont have the book in front of me) hits... which is pretty bad-ass. So try to keep out of its way, and make him use the HoDa on an less important unit, or a unit perfectly suited for taking the S4 hits (maybe a block of saurus?) then let him charge... and use the 2 rows of 2 attacks to nulify him! -> 10 S4 attacks minus the ones he kills, which are 4 at best!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my two cents, lots of Saurus and get to him quick. the EOTG protection spells and anything the priest can cast upping it.
    Last edited by GMJoeSolarte; April 8th, 2010 at 08:03.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGuiding View Post
    So he is T3 with a 5+ AS, but if he charges he has 4 S6 on WS6~7 (I dont have the book in front of me)
    He actually has 5 ws7 attacks at stength 6! I play wood elves, and my alter always takes out at least three times his cost. In a game against daemons of chaos, he killed a khorne herald, and his chariot, on the charge! Be really careful against this guy. Personally I'd use skinks or chamealeon skinks to try and take him out. As for avoiding HoDA, the only way is to really kill the noble, or to have big enough units to take the fire.
    Good luck!
    GG
    Last edited by gnoblargobbler; April 4th, 2010 at 18:30.

VW progress ==> runner up (out in round 5) Fluff wars ==> round 1 win, round 2 win
    Winter Wood elves W7 D0 L0 Witch hunter ogres W2 D1 L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I really like my alters Even without the HoDA they are a devastating force!

But the thing is this: Make sure you get the charge! That means he will always strike last (if he is using the GW, and otherwise he will have the S4 which isnt that great) so then you can handle him. If the alter is able to charge, well then youre in for a world of hurt!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@The Guiding - Yeah, thats really key to an alter!
    So, to counter them, I guess you could charge the alter. I don't really know too much about LM, but would dropping rocks on the alter with terradons work?
    GG

VW progress ==> runner up (out in round 5) Fluff wars ==> round 1 win, round 2 win
    Winter Wood elves W7 D0 L0 Witch hunter ogres W2 D1 L0

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

I'm pretty sure that he would hate that, being T3 and only having a 5+ save ( doesn't the helm of the hunt grant an extra armoursave? ) , maybe 4+ with a shield. And there is nowhere he could hide because even if he is in a forrest your terradons can fly in and drop rocks on him. I guess about 6 rocks average, should wound 4 times and with a 5+ or 6+ save he will need to roll ridiculous to survive.

Good thinking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. I was already thinking of adding terradons but thanks all the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah with the helm he has a 4+ save (la+shield+hoth).

The drop rocks thingy, is there some 'to hit' test for that, or is it more like the hitting of a warmachine?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast