8th - Saurus Configuration for 2-2.5k - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

8th - Saurus Configuration for 2-2.5k

I was wondering what configuration of saurus warriors people find work best. I know horde on these guys is unpractical but i am having difficulties deciding on a unit size and setup and was wondering if anyone had any advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x3)

Units of 20 in standard 5x4 formation with hand weapons are solid solid solid. They are also handily 250points each, so you can get 2 in 2k and that fills out your core requirement. From 2k up its probably worth having at least one unit of skink skirmishers. But you could make up the rest of your core percentage with additional warriors for both units.
    Haven't tried a saurus horde. Personally I reckon it wouldn't be worth it as it'd be too expensive and too wide to be effective.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Minimum unit size I would use is 18. Only use spears in units of 24+. I like going 6 wide.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x3)

8x5 with spears has worked well. Reconfigure midgame to 5x8 if you hit a unit that can really hurt you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like running saurus warriors with 25 models hand weapon shield going 5x5. They are a great unit to hold from a charge from everything but the strongest units. Use them to hold and then hit the unit with something harder like a stegadon, if you even need to but thats just me try out different variations and see what you like.

Billy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally ain't feeling Spears this Edition, the parry save just seems like the better move for smaller units. Also with war machines up and abound you'll probably be doing more charging than holding against the "evils" in 8th ed.

I personally use 2 big blocks of 30 in my larger games, i run them 6x5 along each side of the TG and Slann too make use of of the Life/Light lores, the rank bonus and damage they put out usually wins Combat, but i mainly just use them too hold the flanks of the TG.

Keep them solid but not overwhelming in smaller games, They can anvil anything for a few turns while your stego's, COC, Kroxies(am i the only one who likes them now?) and/or mounted Old one Hammer in Retaliation.

+ Reply to Thread