Is this too competitive for casual play? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this too competitive for casual play?

I recently started going to a new shop where the group likes to play "friendly" games and I like the people there. I'm a fairly new player to fantasy (about 20 games). Last night was my first game there and I smashed an experienced player in a 2400 game. Afterwards, a friend of mine said my list looked more like an 'Ard Boyz list than a casual list. I want to know what you casual players think about setting up across from a list like this. is it too much for a casual setting?

here is what I took:

Superslann on Arabyan Carpet with mystery, rumination, higher state and becalming cogitation

Scar-Vet BSB

3 units of 22 saurus, HW/SH

10 skink skirmisher, blowpipes

2 units of 6 chameleons

5 kroxigors

2 units of 3 salamanders

This is basically just all my favorite units with some skinks to fill out the points. I just want to keep it fun for both me and my new friends so let me know what you think.

Last edited by joecool; September 1st, 2010 at 00:45. Reason: Originally put 70 skirmishers

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

The only thing that could be an issue is the salamanders, and that really depends on what army they are playing. Something like a goblin horde could have a problem with them. Other than that, it seems like a fine friendly army.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I thought about it a little, and I think I will just not use salamanders every game, or maybe just take two. More Kroxigors, or double stegs just to change it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your list goes in 2 different directions. You didn't take a cheese Slann or even make him the BSB, you took small Saurus blocks, and you took a block of Kroxigors (all of which are rather casual style options). The Salamanders go the opposite direction. Take 2 units of 1 and make the Saurus blocks bigger in my opinions.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x3)

Apart from having maxed out salamanders your list is niether over competative nor over squishy. Your flying slann is in my opinion a bit of a weakness. So all in all your army is not too competative by any means. Go have fun with it.
    ps. 6 Salamanders in a more optimised list are game breakingly awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see what drpieceofme and andre are saying when comparing my list to some of the tournament lists on the site. But is 22 really a small unit? Doesnt seem so to me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6 Salamanders...

6 Salamanders is extruciatingly mean. My local lizardmen playes either don't take them out of courtsy or add 1 as a point filler.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be pretty intimidated when such a slann would be flying at me, but at a seocnd glance it isn't that powergamish at all. Just a nice setup! The only thing i would be bothered with could be the salamanders, mind dropping one unit or split into 2 from 2 or something, would make it a lot nicer!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thread that won't quite die...I've been using 4-5 salamanders and using the points to beef up whatever i feel like that day. Flying life slann is awesome btw. Practically unchargable and being able to get behind units for dwellers is tons-o'-fun. Skaven and Dwarf cannons pose a large risk but thats about it (I give him magic resistance items usually)

+ Reply to Thread